Folfiri with Avastin questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
heidym21

Folfiri with Avastin questions

Postby heidym21 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:38 pm

my mom is on folfiri with avastin. My question is her hair is falling out a lot, she was on folfox with Oxaliplatin and with that her hair thinned but with folfiri with avastin her hair is falling out a lot, I read that it only thins. Has anyone with folfiri with avastin hair fallen off completely? She started folfiri with Avastin on August the 3rd, and yesterday was her chemo day but her blood counts were very low. Another question what can she do or eat to raise her white cell counts?

Thanks
My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 3c on 4/2014
Had surgery to remove tumor. 19 lymph nodes removed all cancerous
Had chemo 12rounds finished on 10/2014
Cancer came back. Had fluids in her lungs. Fluids came back cancerous. So docs said its metastatic colon cancer. She's on chemo again. Tumor or tumors don't show up on PETScan nor CTScan. Docs say she Has an odd case

midlifemom

Re: Folfiri with Avastin questions

Postby midlifemom » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi,
I have been on folfiri for 6 months now and my hair has been thinning. I just added avastin this last treatment. From what I recall reading, hair does fall out for some. Everyone reacts differently to chemo.

Regarding wbc, the only way I know of to increase it is with injections of Neupogen or Neulasta. This might be recommended if low wbc becomes a recurring problem.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

smalltownmess

Postby smalltownmess » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 pm

When my mom was on irinotecan her hair started falling out in chucks so she decided to just shave it off, and we found her a wig that she loved! It worked out a bit better because it was in the winter and not sizzling hot (at least where we live in CA it gets super hot). She had so many people giving her compliments on her wig (no one knew it was a wig!) that I think she didn't really mind.

Hope your mom gets her counts up and feels well soon!
Mom diagnosed Stage 4 with Liver mets 7/2011
July 11: Xeloda and Avastin
August 13: Irinotecan
June 14: Disease Progression
August 14: SBRT
October 14 - December 14: RRX-001
January - May 15: Irinotecan
May 15: One week Stivarga -- stopped b/c DRESS Syndrome
July 15: Disease progression
July 15: Start Xelox

daniel.qin

Postby daniel.qin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 pm

When I was on oxaliplatin, my hair did not fall out. When I was on folfiri, my hair was thin. There was no appetite when the pump was on, after the pump was off, the appetite will become better. Try to eat more when the appetite was back. Fish(Silver sea perch) is my favorite one.

Good Luck!

-Daniel
39 years old Male
4/12 - colon surgery stage III
12/12 - 12 round FOLFOX
5/14 - met to spleen, colon surgery, spleen remove, radiation, XELOX
KRAS-mutated, BRAF wild type, MSI-stable.
11/14 - Abdomen wall met, surgery, FOLFIRI+Avastin
3/15 - CT, NED
Chinese herbs medicine
5/15 - CT, progressing-FOLFIRI+Avastin
6/15 - cannabis oil supplements
8/15 - Xilonix fail
10/15 - RRX 001

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:44 am

heidym21 wrote: Another question what can she do or eat to raise her white cell counts?

Thanks

I will type these so I don't have to bug crguy : )
It's out of a book "eating well with cancer"

Shopping list for neutropenia:

Bread, butter, cheese, canned broth, eggs, canned fruit, grits , skim milk, oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, skinless boneless chicken breast, vegtables- canned & frozen. Fresh must be cooked. Dried seasonings and spices.
Yogurt

Points to remember:
NO RAW FOOD
Cooked fruits & veggies
No fresh, frozen, or dried fruit
No honey - use molasses
Avoid uncooked herbs & spices
Processed cheese acceptable
Canned or cooked fruits acceptable
All cooked or baked goods, jello, syrup, ice cream, sherbert made from pasteurized products are acceptable.
Yogurt
Cooked hot soups
All breads, rolls, crackers in wrappers?

After chemos, the no raw food part scared me so I always made scrambled eggs or fried egg sandwich. I know he got tired of them but raw is raw yellows to me
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:27 am

After just 2 weeks of Folfiri, half my hair fell out in one day! I ended up shaving it off cuz there was no way to cover it up as there were too big of bald spots. My hair was actually a little longer than in the first pic (it's wet cuz I wanted to show length cuz my hair was curly). I had it in a braid for a couple days then took out my braid to shower and it was extremely tangled by my neck, I finally got a section brushed and chunks came out so I cut it (as u can see in the one pic) cuz I knew it was falling out and needed to get the snarls out cuz it was so bad, the hair on the floor was the result minus what I had to cut off! I really had no choice but to shave it off after. I was shocked that much fell out at once. On folfox I had no hairloss, but had to switch due to bad se's.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”