Very New Here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TreyLove

Very New Here

Postby TreyLove » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 pm

I don't even know for certain if I should be here, I don't know what to do actually. My entire family is calling me a hypochondriac, my mom hates to be around me it seems like.. and I hate to be around myself. Please, to all the people DX with Colon Cancer, please don't not be upset or being annoyed with me. But I'm very scared that I have it.

My name is Trey Love, and I'm 22 years old. I have no family history of colon cancer whatsoever. Or any cancer really. My grandmother had cervix cancer (but she was HIV positive so I think hers was caused by the HPV since they usually are bundled together) other than that.. nothing. Three months ago I felt something was wrong with me-- and at first I thought it was a STD scare (it turned out to be jock itch) . I thought I had HIV or herpes or something, and got tested three times just to be sure. Once at the health department, once at a rapid HIV testing site, and one at my GP.

I went to the emergency room where they gave me a bunch of antibiotics because they couldn't do any syphilis testing, or gonorrhea or chlamydia . Just because they didn't know and wanted to treat me just in case. (my mom said they shouldn't have did that since i took more than eight antibiotic pills in one setting)It was after that day where my stools started to act up. So around mid June, my stool had become consistently soft, which was a new thing for me. And at first I thought it was just because of the Antibiotics, but it persisted long after that.

My blood work and everything came back normal aside from me having vitamin d deficiency, and being borderline diabetic. Did I mention I'm obese? AND AFRICAN AMERICAN (two reasons why i'm panicking so much. i know those are the gateways to colon cancer) as a teenager i went once every few days. Nowadays I go three times a day. Usually in the morning. I'm in no pain, but there is a dull pressure on the right side of my stomach, but it moves when I lay down. The doctor said it could be skeletal problems. It doesn't hurt at all, it actually feels like a tingling more than anything.

So i told my GP about my colon cancer concern and she referred me to the GI doctor. And my consultation was on the 10th of this month. When I walked in his office he looked at me and said "you need to lose weight. your weight is going to be a problem for you. and I don't see you doing it by diet." and he referred me to the Bariatric surgeon. I go for a flexsig on the 25th to see the cause of my bleeding and consistently soft stool.

I'm very scared that it's colon cancer. I do not want to die, I'm only 22. I wanna be here for my mother. She has MS. and I don't trust other people to love and care for her the way I do. I don't know what to do. Do you guys think it's colon cancer? Or something else.

Just a few of my symptoms in case you didn't wanna read that. I kind of feeling I was rambling anyway.

Specks Blood when I wipe.
Dull pain on lower right side of abdomen.
Bowel changes. (floating stool, constantly soft, not very solid like it used to be just earlier this year)
Not being able to pass gas as much as I used to.
Anxiety

midlifemom

Re: Very New Here

Postby midlifemom » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Not knowing what is wrong can be very stressful. You were right to get the appointment with a GI doc. However, a flexsig will only examine the lower part of your colon. A full colonoscopy is needed to look at the entire colon.
I am not a doctor, so really can't say whether your symptoms are indicative of cancer or something else. Talk to your doc. If you don't trust the answers you are getting, get a second opinion.
Best of luck.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Trey,

Will make this quick as I got to go.

Request a colonoscopy. By the shear fact you have blood, a colonoscopy should be done. Don't let a Dr tell you it's just hemorrhoids. A colonoscopy will give a true diagnoses if anything is wrong. Anything else is just a speculation.

Personally I don't think you've got cancer, but maybe something else is going on that is causing your issues.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

TreyLove

Postby TreyLove » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:33 pm

i will try to request a colonoscopy. i was very discouraged when he told me he would do a sig to see where the fresh blood is coming from.

i even showed him pictures of my stool, and what it looked like when i wiped and he seemed to still not be alarmed.

i will keep you guys posted since the sig is on the 25th. if i have a clean sig, or something like "fissures, or ibs" diagnosis should i still panic?

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:03 pm

You also will want to do a stool sample. Over-application of antibiotics can also lead to c.diff or resistant bacteria. You should also find someone like a therapist that works with cognitive behavioral therapy. No matter the medical diagnoses, it would be good to have a professional in your corner. Also, take some time to work out what your healthcare situation is, that can add a lot of comfort knowing what the outlook is.

Good luck, and keep working with doctors until you get an answer. It could be any number of things, even a compounding of seemingly unrelated things.
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 pm

TreyLove wrote:.

And my consultation was on the 10th of this month. When I walked in his office he looked at me and said "you need to lose weight. your weight is going to be a problem for you. and I don't see you doing it by diet." and he referred me to the Bariatric surgeon. I go for a flexsig on the 25th to see the cause of my bleeding and consistently soft stool.

I'm very scared that it's colon cancer. I do not want to die, I'm only 22. I wanna be here for my mother. She has MS. and I don't trust other people to love and care for her the way I do. I don't know what to do. Do you guys think it's colon cancer? Or something else.

Ok I don't want to harp, BUTT since I have 2 kids about your age, I'm going to put on my MOM cap.

If you are 22 and seriously overweight, you need to get that weight off, the sooner the better. You will not live a long life if you are seriously overweight this early in life. Being overweight bring on a host of other medical problem, including various cancers.

I can highly recommend Weight Watcher's. I am a card carry member. There are many options available, but I highly recommend monthly membership and going to the weekly meetings. You will find friendship and support, and MOSTLY, other people who have been in your shoes now. All the leaders are people who lost weight. They have special meeting for people who want to lose 50 pd or more if that is something that might interest you. They have online support. They sell food in the grocery store to make it easier getting the right food. But I personally prefer making my own meals.

Something to consider, ok, MOM cap off now. :D

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Ease up a bit. If your going to the GI, that's the first step. My GI recommended me to a surgeon who also did the Surgeries that are normal with overweight people. Al Roker, had a similar surgery to a colon cancer situation. Yes, you could only have hemmohroids. (I'm not going to look up my spelling) The GI, can tell a lot, from a flex -sig, more-so with a Ultrasound at the same time. A full colonoscopy, would be better, but you can do a flex-sig without much pain, and with no anesthesia.
The cost difference, is you prerogative.
Justin
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

TreyLove

Postby TreyLove » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:30 pm

i did what you guys said. and i called and pushed for a colonoscopy.

and instead of going on 8/25 for a flex sig, i will be going on 9/9 2015 for a full colonoscopy.

i hope everything is alright with me.

i'm terrified.

DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Postby DBF » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm sorry you have to post here at all, but I do admire you taking so much initiative and pushing to find out what's wrong.

Once you finish with the colonoscopy (and hoping all is clear), I hope you'll go and speak with the bariatric surgeon. There are numerous surgical options now. My birth sister just got a gastric sleeve, and she had a 2-day easy recovery and has since lost a considerable amount of weight. she also finds the weight loss has encouraged her to make lifestyle changes and healthier choices.

Best wishes to you.
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg
2019: NED :)
2021: NED :D
2022: NED :)
Mom to 3 boys: 24, 13 & 9

TreyLove

Postby TreyLove » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:35 pm

thank you.

looking at you guys signatures make me feel like this isn't a death sentence like i assume. i hope that i'm all clear.

but part of me is so ready to fight to be here for my family. i want to be around for a long time.

and yes, despite my mother's disagreement. this surgery for weight loss is going to be the boost/kickstart i need to a healthier life.

at 22, i admit i was reckless, i didn't know what dangers laid in front of me, but i know now. and i'm ready to change it.

jillbugs4110

Postby jillbugs4110 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 am

Hi

After learning more about this horrid disease demand a colonoscopy..be done be dramatic don't let them brush you off cause your young this tactic could save your life.
Live One Day At A Time
I Abandon myself to God
46 6 yo.....9yo...
stage 1V liver mets :-(
my one prayer to got to sustain me to raise my two babies this is my only wish then take me out if needed.

TreyLove

Postby TreyLove » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:41 pm

just wanted to check in with you guys and say hello once again.

thank you all for being supportive.

since i've started taking buspirone for my anxiety a lot of the symptoms have stopped.

i'm passing gas like normal, although sometimes my stool does float. my stool is solid like it used to be. but i have my days where i go and it's soft.

i'm no longer going three times a day. but i still go once a day.

my colonoscopy is still on and scheduled for the 9th of this month. 7 days away lol, so i'll keep you guys posted about everything.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Just wanted to say best wishes and please let us know how it goes

TreyLove

Postby TreyLove » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:12 am

Two more days.

I start my prep tomorrow.

I wish you guys could go with me. The closer I get to the date of the colonoscopy the more the symptoms come back. Sometimes I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me.

My fear is back, I was just doing so well. Ugh, but anyways . I'll be back tomorrow with updates on how I did with my prep.

You guys are really so kind and generous to me, thanks a lot.

And lee , I promise Imma come down hard on this weight once all this is said and done. I appreciated your post with your mom hat .

I promise that even if (and hopefully so) that my scope comes back clean Imma raise awareness because no one told me obesity and poor diet can lead to cancer . They always make sure to tell us about heart attacks and diabetes . But never the risk of cancer smh. But I'm rambling , so see you guys tomorrow

ALW

Postby ALW » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 am

Good luck with everything over the next couple of days!
Aug '15 Dx rectal cancer stage 2a @ 41 years old
Sept '15 Radiation & Xeloda
12/3/15 LAR with temp ileo - 0/20 nodes
1/5/16 reversal done early due to complications
2/16 Started 5 rounds Xeloda

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”