pain after sigmoid colectomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sunshine12

pain after sigmoid colectomy

Postby sunshine12 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:42 pm

I had an open sigmoid colectomy 5 weeks ago and I still have pain. I have pain on the right side and left side of my abdomen, if I cough or sneeze the pain takes my breath. Has anyone else had this issue?

midlifemom

Re: pain after sigmoid colectomy

Postby midlifemom » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Have you spoken with the doctors office about this pain?
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 pm

it took me a long time for that R sided pain to go away. I was told it was from the Retractors...pulling side of muscles during surgery. It does go away.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

Mikey724

Postby Mikey724 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:56 pm

So glad to find this forum!!!! My name is Mike, 34yo male. I had sigmoid colectomy done 5/23/17. Here's my battle with it, hope it helps...
I had my very first diverticulitis flare up 3/28/17. I was admitted and treated with IV antibiotics for 3 days. I was on clear liquid diet while admitted. I was released after pain subsided and, although watery, BM functions seemed fine. Two weeks ago, I started having the same initial pain on my lower left side from 3/2017. Went to ER and CT scan done. It revealed another perforation and this time an abscess in the sigmoid.
I was admitted and the doctor came and saw me the next day. The doctors suggested removing the affected portion of my colon(about 12in). I am in good general health with no other current medical problems. With that, he felt confident removing the affected part of the colon. One thing that did make me a bit nervous was that he said he wouldn't know until he was in there, if I would need a temporary colostomy. I was pretty scared and nervous. Thank the Lord, the surgeon was able to remove the affected part without a colostomy.
Woke up from surgery with a catheter in. I also had a Jackson Pratt drian(JP) attached to my right side where an incision site was draining(*Sidenote, they removed the JP 3 days after surgery and it was a little painful when removed. That site is still sore today (5/31/17)The pain was mostly on my right side and the incision up the middle of my belly. I only had ice chips after surgery. I wasn't given any liquids until day 2 post op. They needed me to pass gas or have a BM before they would advance my diet from liquid to a GI soft diet. I took a few steps a few hours after my surgery. Although it can be drag, I will say... WALK! Even if it's a few steps. Getting up and walking will help move all that CO2 gas that's in your stomach from surgery. By day 3 I was on GI soft and was able to handle a few bites of a grilled cheese, some jello and apple juice.
I tried to get up and walk at least every 2 hours. By day 4 post op I was up walking around pretty normally. Just remember to take it slow because you will get a lot more tired than usual. I was released from hospital on 3/28/17. My first night home was rough. As far as getting comfortable at night was difficult, but by night 3 at home I was getting better. Pain is pretty manageable and I'm not using pain meds as often as when I first got home. I am going to get staples removed 6/1/17.
I have this nasty "metal" taste in my mouth(after reading around, I hear it's normal and from the anesthesia and should go away eventually) My appetite has been hit and miss. I was pretty much just snacking here and there. 5/31 I made salmon and rice which I tolerated it well.
Hope this helps. It is a painful thing to deal with but with this forum, hopefully hearing from others in your situation can be helpful. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, it is greatly welcomed.

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:20 am

I hope your pain soon becomes more manageable. I had a resection in January and
found that placing a pillow alongside me in bed really helped relieve the pain. I do find that I get some pain still and think it's maybe the chemo acting on the deep healing process.. the pillow still helps.
I hope your recovery goes well and that this great forum can support you.
Love and hugs
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”