Genetic testing

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tpop

Genetic testing

Postby tpop » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:47 pm

Has anyone had the genetic testing for NHPCC? I am 52 and had colon cancer 6 yrs ago and uterine cancer 5 yrs ago. My daughter is 29 and had a colon resection last year and a hysterectomy 6 months ago. I have 3 cousins with colon cancer also, all younger then myself. I'm looking for others with the hereditary gene.
Can anyone help?
Tina

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:37 pm

I had genetic testing done (Colaris) a few months ago. It came back negative which really surprised me. My maternal grandmother and great-grandmother both had colon cancer and I am only 33 years old. The test is as simple as drawing blood and it is sent off to a lab and a couple weeks later you'll recieve the results.
Andrea

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 pm

I am 37yo with no family history of colon cancer and my blood test for genetic testing is pending. It was explained to me that it will be helpful for my children and for future diagnosis for myself. I think it is also good for future research and investigating while some of us are developing colon cancer at young ages. It is worth going for it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”