How Did You Survive Radiation?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shilomoon

How Did You Survive Radiation?

Postby shilomoon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:19 pm

I started with radiation back in July and am half way through. Starting last week, I was having diarrhea several times a day. I tried to change my diet and take immodium but I don't think I'm taking enough. I'm terrified to eat anything at work :(

Anything help you?
6/20/15 Diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer
7/20/15 Started xeloda & radiation. Last day will be August 28th :)

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Re: How Did You Survive Radiation?

Postby Phuong » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 am

Aside from Immodium, I would use Lomotil and sometimes an Ativan. My onc explained that Immodium & Lomotil have the same goal but act a little differently. I found Ativan to be helpful when my muscles were in a strain cycle and I needed something to help them calm down. Aside from that, you may want to try some fiber supplements.
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

I don't know about radiation, but for diarrhea, I found lomotil to be more effective than Imodium. I was also told i could take both Imodium while on lomotil if needed.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 am

Two important things. The first is diet:

NO: whole grains, fresh veggies (cooked in limited amounts), fresh fruit (except bananas...cooked fruits in moderation ok), popcorn, nuts, overly spicy foods.....basically anything that is more difficult to digest...avoid during radiation and for at least 1-2 weeks after you end treatments. Instead, substitute with foods such as: white bread, white rice, beef, fish, poultry, white potatoes, crackers...foods that are easier to digest.

Drink plenty of liquids....be drinking something all the time.....take a water bottle with you.

Know that when taking Xeloda or on a constant 5FU pump, you should try to avoid an over abundance of foods containing folic acid. In the USA/Canada, our grains are fortified with folic acid so that eating a LOT of things like crackers, pasta, bread....basically anything made with flour.....can cause stomach upset and/or diarrhea. Not saying you should totally avoid these foods.....just don't go on a carbo overload on any one particular day. Be cognizant of the fact that cereals are oftentimes SUPER fortified with extra folic acid. You need some during the day.....the normal amount is fine (approximately 400 - 500 MICROGRAMS...not grams daily). IF you are taking a multivitamin during this time....STOP. They are all fortified with folic acid.

In addition to an Imodium in the morning/evening, also try finding a probiotic that you like. Personally, I found one called Digestive Advantage to work well for me (found in most stores....in the tummy aisle....next to things like Pepto). When I was in treatment, I would take one in the morning and one in the evening. Radiation and the chemo help destroy the good bacteria that your GI tract needs for effective digestion. You need to try and put some of that back...and, btw, yogurt alone won't do the trick. While you are in treatment, you'll never fully be able to get the good bacteria 'count' up enough to be considered 'normal', BUT.....by taking some probiotics to help supplement what is being destroyed, hopefully you can help maintain some level of them in your system so that you won't have the constant diarrhea/gas. At least give it a try.

I've known some people who, particularly during radiation, took Immodium proactively. In other words, even before the diarrhea hits, take one in the morning, perhaps one in the afternoon and even one in the evening. Hopefully, along with a dietary change, watching the folic acid intake and taking a probiotic, you should find that your bowels are more cooperative with you and the diarrhea will diminish greatly. Another drug you might ask your doc for is something called Questran. It is an older cholesterol lowering medication that works very well on stopping diarrhea.....the kind that Immodium doesn't control. It is often used after gallbladder surgery for patients who have issues with their bowels due to not having a gallbladder.

Hopefully you will find something that works for you. Good luck.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:42 pm

This was tough... the toughest part for me so far. You really want to get your BM's worked out though. Eventually I had radiation issues around my anus that, during bowel movements, was some of the most intense local pain I had. My solution was two fold. One, try and limit/schedule bowel movements. Second, have a pain management routine around the BM.

For the first, I did rely heavily on immodioum. It was a religion. I was taking two every two hours. Then I would stop at a specific time, which would start taking the foot off the break. Then I'd take some advil or non-opiate pain killer (I found vaporizing marijuana very useful during chemo rad... you can't barf it up). I had Emla (prilocaine/lidocaine) cream I would put on to numb the external area. When the clock struck the right time, I'd head for the WC.

I found the only way to truly manage the pain during the BM was to try and meditate/focus my way through it. Across from the toilet, there was a little bump in the texturing on the wall (less than 1/8'). I would focus on that spot, studying every detail I could discern... every day. I wouldn't push or anything that might remove focus from that spot. When I was as empty as I was going to be, I went straight to the shower. Then on with the cream (usually calmoseptine or aquaphor).
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:27 pm

I would also add to be slathering yourself with specific creams (avoid those that contain alcohol....alcohol dries the skin....as does radiation). DO NOT wait for burns to occur....head them off or at least minimize them BEFORE they happen. IF you wait until you have a problem....it is very difficult to get a handle on the pain.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:44 pm

*Norco
    *Lotion everywhere (immediately after radiation treatment & each night)
    *Lotomil
    *Norco
    *Calmoseptine (again immediately after treatment and after every bathroom trip)
    *Norco
    *Lotomil
Rinse & repeat. Daily.

I wish I would have tried Metamucil or Citrucel. I didn't start taking that until much later after my surgery and I really wish I had tried it sooner. I never miss a day of Metamucil now.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

lori314
Facebook Username: Lori Biddinger

Postby lori314 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:36 pm

During radiation I was maxing out on Lomotil and Immodium and still having diarrhea. Finally my oncologist prescribed tincture of opium. I was only given a 10 day prescription. It worked! My oncologist also told me to get packets of Aveeno Oatmeal Bath soaks. I tried to soak my butt a few times a day. It really did help.
7/13 Dx Stage IIIc rectal cancer
8/13 LAR, no ileo
9/13 4 wks of radiation with folfox pump
11/13 12 rounds Folfox, last 2 oxi taken out
6/14 CT Scan-NED
9/14 Colonoscopy-normal
6/15 CT Scan-15+ lung mets, makes me Stage IV
8/15 Irinotecan,Avastin,5FU pump
12/15 chemo break

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Not to be an advocate for pain meds, but on top of helping pain they also cause constipation which should not with diarrhea but help it, only if u need it tho of course. I take oxy and have not had any diarrhea on iri which is a common se. I don't take it for diarrhea tho but for pain, but I notice no diarrhea but sometimes slight constipation which I counter with miralax. Again, not advocating pain meds, only if needed. Best wishes

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:42 pm

ritz75 wrote:Not to be an advocate for pain meds, but on top of helping pain they also cause constipation which should not with diarrhea but help it, only if u need it tho of course. I take oxy and have not had any diarrhea on iri which is a common se. I don't take it for diarrhea tho but for pain, but I notice no diarrhea but sometimes slight constipation which I counter with miralax. Again, not advocating pain meds, only if needed. Best wishes

Ditto what ritz said...
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo