Question for those with HAI pump...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CM35

Question for those with HAI pump...

Postby CM35 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:03 pm

I had an HAI pump placed in 02/2014 at mskcc. It was used post-resection as adjuvant therapy and my liver has been clear since surgery (yay!). I have been keeping it maintained, as my little insurance policy should something show up in my liver in the future. However, I have been having some issues over the past few months. I have been having abdominal wall pain, kind of underneath the pump, to the right of the pump (toward the midline incision). It definitely feels like it is the abdominal wall, and seems to get worse throughout the day. Has anyone with the pump experienced pain like this? The pain is significant, enough that I have to take pain medication to function. I should also add, I just had a scan, and surgery 2 weeks ago, and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Additionally, I had a couple nodules of cancer show up in the pump pocket incision, which thankfully were easily resected. I am just wondering if anyone else has had any of these problems? When I had the pump placed, I expected to live the rest of my life with it, as long as it didn't cause any other problems. I am getting to the point where I am considering having it out, but first I wanted to see if anyone else has successfully eliminated or dealt with similar problems before just pulling it. Thanks in advance. :)

Colleen
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

midlifemom

Re: Question for those with HAI pump...

Postby midlifemom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:12 am

Colleen,
I had HAI pump installed in Dec 2014. I can have a pulling type pain based on my activity level or sitting position. One day I decided to do yard work , just picking up small branches, loading them into wheelbarrow and carting to curb. I was at it less than one hour, but I hurt for days after.
Dr Kemeny did suggest I wear a binder if I wanted to play low key tennis. Perhaps that would help you?
Have you spoken to surgeon about this? Out of curiosity, who was your surgeon?

I can't comment on nodules in pump pocket.
Good luck.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

jalusa

Postby jalusa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 am

Too early for me to comment I suppose as I have had mine only 6 weeks, still healing up.

I know the doctor told me to limit my activity, especially lifting as they don't want the pump to "flip"
Hoping to get to resection with HAI pump.
Failed PVE - Searching for options
Chemo for life

CM35

Postby CM35 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

The surgeon who placed my pump was Dr. DeMatteo. I have had 4 surgeries since it was placed, including hipec, so I am starting to wonder if that has played a role. Maybe it's been jostled around and messed with enough times that it's not where it's supposed to be. I have been careful to wear support over the pump during exercise, but maybe it needs to become a full-time thing, wearing the support I mean? I have Spanx, that I wear over the pump, but they are sooo uncomfortable - the thought of wearing them all the time is less than appealing! I wonder if I would get used to them!? Ugh!
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

Stanfordmom

Postby Stanfordmom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi Colleen,

Mine was implanted Sept., 2014.

Other than occasional soreness after bumping into something, I haven't got any pain with the pump.

Good luck, hope your pain is just a short term thing. did you ask Dr.K. About this?

Sha
DX 4/2/2014 at 44, stage 4, mets liver and ovaries
Mom to 2 boys
Three surgeries, HAI pump and lots of chemo
fighting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”