HIPEC

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Scaredoutofmind
Facebook Username: Ilene Mastrangelo

HIPEC

Postby Scaredoutofmind » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:13 pm

For those of you who had HIPEC, can you answer the following:

What questions did you ask the surgeon during your consultation?

What did you do prior to surgery, if anything to prepare? (Eat more or exercise)

How long was your procedure?

How long was hospital stay?

How was your recovery once you were released?

Have you had a reoccurrence since the procedure?

Did you have to have additional chemo or did you have chemo prior to HIPEC?

Thanks everyone!

tigerpaw
Facebook Username: kristin.lossius

Re: HIPEC

Postby tigerpaw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:39 am

I had HIPEC in January this year. A PET scan before surgery showed two mets . My surgeon told me they would probably find more since peri mets are not always detected on CT, but actually they found only these two mets during surgery.
My surgery lasted 7 hours, all visible cancer was removed. I was in ICU 1 day, in hospital for 8 days. Recovery went OK, I was off painkillers a week after I came home. My main problem postoperatively was stomach cramps, especially after eating. I would recommend small meals, and a low residue diet. I started working part time 6 weeks after surgery, but it did take longer to be back to normal. I had a lung resection 7 weeks after HIPEC which of course affected my recovery.
I did not have any preop chemo, I discussed postop chemo with my onc but we decided not to have any, since the effect would probably be marginal if any. I think Norwegian oncs use less mop up chemo than US doctors.
Right now I feel fine, back to my normal self, I have had a great summer with my family, CT in June showed no recurrence and CEA 1,3.
I had my procedure in Norway, things may not be the same in US.
Be sure to ask your surgeon how many HIPEC surgeries he has performed (the more, the better). Does he have an experienced team? What is the probability of removing all visible cancer? All these things will affect prognosis.
I don't think you have to do anything special to prepare for the procedure, a healthy diet and some exercise is fine.
Good luck to you!
63y female
dx July 13 resection of primary in sigmoid colon
Stage 3B cc, T3N1M0
KRAS mutant, codon 12/13, MSS
FLOX (FLV infusion 2 consecutive days + oxi) August 2013. Oxi stopped after 8tx
clear CT 6/14
peri mets + lung met 12/14
1/15 HIPEC
3/15 Lung resection
8/15 Subcutaneous met in midline abdomen-resected
8/15 Two lung nodules, observation, no chemo
2/17 enlarged lymph nodes hilus and mediastinum
5-8/17 FLV + Avastin
3/18 radiation to mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:09 am

I am two weeks out from surgery. My surgery was 4 1/2 hours (they found three mets) and were able to remove everything. No ICU. I am sore, but the pain is manageable. I agree on the food - small meals, bland foods to start. My stomach was extremely bloated and it was very hard to eat more than a few bits of anything for about a week.

My surgeon perform HIPEC about 3 X week - get an experienced surgeon!

I found that the surgery was easy than I expected from what I had read.
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
10/23/14 - Colon Resection - Stage II - 0/15 lympth nodes
12/30/14 - Stage IV - 1 liver met 2cc - Liver Resection - No lymph nodes and margins clear
3/10/15 - peri mets
3/15 - Folfox with Avastin - 7 tx
7/15 - HIPEC - 2 peri mets
10/14 - resection of abdominal met
11/12 - 5FU

Leighann Sturgin

Postby Leighann Sturgin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:05 pm

I had my first HIPEC in 2005. I was in pretty bad shape...literally almost dead. I had tumors wrapped around my small intestines creating complete blockages. (whole colon was already removed) I had LOTS of chemo before, for months. Surgery was 9-10 hours. I was in ICU for 4 days. I was in the hospital for about 6 weeks after surgery. Surgeon had to leave me open to heal from the inside out. I also received an ileostomy during this surgery. My new stoma was 1/2" from the open wound. When I had my first ostomy leak, poop went in the wound and it got infected. I was septic. It took me about 9 months to heal. I had a reoccurrence a year later. Had another HIPEC in 2006. It was also 9 hours. 3 days ICU. I don't remember how long I was in the hospital the second time...2-3 weeks, I think. Recovery was a lot faster the second time. I had one more reoccurrence after the 2nd HIPEC. I've been cancer free since 07. I did protein shakes before and after the 2nd one.
F 44 yo
3/04 dxd colon cancer stage IV (Lynch)
4/04 colectomy
chemo
8/04 hyserectomy
1/05 debulking, HIPEC, ileostomy
short bowel syndrome- TPN and IV fluid dependent
1/06 HIPEC
07 splenectomy
Vaccine trail
12 right nephrectomy
NED since 07
2015 Colondar 2.0 Miss May
2016 Kidney disease
2016 permanent left nephrostomy

The Kimberly Fund Director

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:04 pm

nobuttgirl - Wow, that is some journey and I hope I can look back after 10 years and have the same results!
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
12/30/14 - Stage IV - 1 liver met 2cc - Liver Resection - No lymph nodes and margins clear
3/10/15 - peri mets
11/12 - 5FU

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:20 am

I will be seeing my surgeon on Monday July 27th.. HIPEC is my choice and hoping it will be his idea too.

These posts helped me... thanks for sharing these experiences.

I am so thankful for this site and glad I have been coming here for over 5 years and will continue till I can't read or type anymore.

We are all very lucky to have each other on such a open forum.

Chrissy
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I just reread your thread and there were a few points I forgot to mention in my first response.

I was in the hospital for 6 days (I stayed one extra day past when the surgeon said I could leave). I am finishing up my chemo - I have five more rounds to finish my 12 rounds. I don't think they would have recommended it had I finished the 12 before surgery.

My doctor said average hospital stay is about 10 days and average surgery time is 8, which depends on extent of disease. Some people get a lapropscopy prior to so that surgeon knows exactly what they will find in surgery. I didn't because my surgeon felt confident with the scans that were done.

Let us know how you are doing and if you have any other specific questions.

Chris, anxious to hear what your doc says tomorrow.
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
3/10/15 - peri mets
11/12 - 5FU

Scaredoutofmind

Postby Scaredoutofmind » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed DH will be able to have HIPEC in September.

He just finished his 7th treatment. Doc wants him to do at least 8 and then be rescanned. Orginal plan was for 10 treatments, hoping he only needs 8. These last few treatments are taking a toll on him and he is more tired.

He was scanned afte 4 treatments and showed shrinking on peri seeding. All his markers have been normal since 3rd treatment. Plan is for him to meet with HIPEC surgeon after his next scans and have a 3 week break before procedure.

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm

chrissyrice wrote:I will be seeing my surgeon on Monday July 27th.. HIPEC is my choice and hoping it will be his idea too.

These posts helped me... thanks for sharing these experiences.

I am so thankful for this site and glad I have been coming here for over 5 years and will continue till I can't read or type anymore.

We are all very lucky to have each other on such a open forum.

Chrissy

Thinking of you Chrissy. I took a break from the forum and have missed a lot.

Hugs,
Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

Scaredoutofmind

Postby Scaredoutofmind » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:09 pm

rwightman wrote:I am two weeks out from surgery. My surgery was 4 1/2 hours (they found three mets) and were able to remove everything. No ICU. I am sore, but the pain is manageable. I agree on the food - small meals, bland foods to start. My stomach was extremely bloated and it was very hard to eat more than a few bits of anything for about a week.

My surgeon perform HIPEC about 3 X week - get an experienced surgeon!

I found that the surgery was easy than I expected from what I had read.

Rwightman. How are you feeling and how has your recovery been? My DH is meeting with HIPEC surgeon Monday. Praying he is a candidate for surgery!

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Now I am six weeks out and finally feel like I can see the end of the tunnel. This was definitely a big surgery, so I think if your DH goes into knowing it will take some time to recovery and it won't be all roses, I think he will be fine. Enough of us have done it that we know it is doable, but for me, I was unprepared for the consistency and length of discomfort. I did have a setback three weeks in when I developed rib pain and spasms. They detected fluid around that rib and gave me antibiotics which started helping quickly. There was fluid lurking at the bottom of my lung and I developed a really deep cough, which in turn, caused severe pain and soreness in the abdomen. The cough lasted for 5 days so that was a treat.

Curious to hear how your story turns out! Hoping for success and a great experience.
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
3/10/15 - peri mets
11/12 - 5FU

AnonSurvivor

Postby AnonSurvivor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 am

Scaredoutofmind, I do not yet have authority to respond to your PM, so I am posting here in response. A few thoughts:

1. Different cancer gene mutations respond differently to chemo. Consider getting genetic testing done. Results may help choose the best approach to chemo.
2. "chemo for life" is a rough deal, but I met several 10+ year survivors during my chemo visits that were living complete lives in spite of being "chemo for lifers" Nobody likes fluorouracil, though.
3. I know nothing about HIPEC, so I won't attempt to address it.
4. I am convinced that exercise, eating right (no sugar, no gluten) and making the most of the good days are very important to the success of any chemo regime. Walking, in particular, was therapeutic for me.
5. Wine instead of beer.
6. Cancer seems to thrive where there is inflammation. Fight it where you can. Avoid gluten because it seems to cause inflammation in many people.
7. Aspirin has been effective for me.

Stay positive and resolute!

A.S.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”