Tumors pressing on hepatic vein

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pukalania

Tumors pressing on hepatic vein

Postby pukalania » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:25 am

Hi friends,
Wondering if anyone has experienced this and what was the solution. Hubby is currently hospitalized due to inflamed pancreas caused by EcRP ( bile duct stent)... He hasn't had any treatment for a month and in that timeframe disease has spread to Omentum, almost all liver covered with mets , the nodules in the lungs have grown ... One liver met is wrapping itself around a rib... It's sad .... I don't know if he can handle any chemo since he is so weak now... And anyway we are stuck in the hospital for the pancreatitis treatment... So wondering what can be done to prevent the vein obstruction... Are there stents for veins? I think this is vein cava so it's a huge problem if it gets obstructed ... His right foot is swollen too soo that seems to suggest tumor is pressing even more on the vein ...
Thanks so much as always for your Input
Xoxo
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

Lee

Re: Tumors pressing on hepatic vein

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice. But your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he can get beyond his current situation, and hopefully be back home real soon.

(((HUGS))) and love to you both,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

surfingon

Postby surfingon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:46 pm

My dear fellow colon cancer wife,

My husband was in the same situation, presumed tumors (they couldn't be imaged without causing more damage) pressing on his hepatic artery, grossly swollen feet and legs. At this point, there is little to be done medically. The disease is progressing, relentlessly.

What I learned is that in cases with venous obstruction, the body will often spontaneously grow new veins that bypass the obstruction. The downside of this is that these veins have very fragile walls, which means that they can and do rupture very easily, resulting in internal bleeding for which there is no remedy. Again, part of the process.

In reading your post about MRSA, I believe that your husband's doctors are telling you something without actually saying it. Could it be that they're not treating the MRSA because there are so many other equally life- threatening health issues, any one of which could take your husband's life at any time? Have you and he talked about this? Have you asked his doctors straight out about their assessment of his prognosis, rather than just asking about each of his diagnoses separately?

If you have not already done so, now is the time to engage in open and frank discussions with your husband about how he wants the end of his life to be. To avoid talking about these tremendously painful issues is to resign yourselves to chaos and abandon the possibility of a peaceful death. The only control any of us have when death is near is to make plans to die the way that we want to. I can absolutely guarantee you that talking about it will NOT hasten his death.

I'm guessing from your username that you may live on Maui. If so, strongly suggest that you might want to talk to Hospice Maui. They do incredible work and are one of the very best hospices in the country. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

May you both be free from suffering,
Rachel
caregiver to husband John
Stage III CC 3-05
liver+ colon resect Nov '06
FolfoxA , FolfiriA
7 liver RFA's, 1 lung RFA
died April 29, 2009
http://sheddinglightonthecancerjourney.wordpress.com/
http://sheddinglightonthewidowsjourney.wordpress.com

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you Rachel and Lee.. Rachel you were spot on... Just went thru it yesterday ... We are from Oahu but I love Pukalani on Maui :)... But we Came to Seattle for treatment and now are stuck here .. So will have to find something here...
Thank you again
Hugs
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs