Will I be able to drink cold drinks again?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
margotmagoo

Will I be able to drink cold drinks again?

Postby margotmagoo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:02 am

I am going to finish my last folfox treatment this weekend!! I am beginning to feel more of the neuropathy and it is lasting longer. I understand from reading some of the postings that the neuropathy can last for months after treatment and sometimes does not go away. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I will be able to drink cold drinks and eat cold foods again....I miss my ice cream and Jamba Juice. Thanks! A bit about myself: I had just turned 40 and was looking forward to my "40 and Fabulous" year but being diagnosed with stage III colon cancer put a twist to my plans. I was told years ago when I suffered symptoms that I was too young and with no family history there should be no worry. I was told it was probably stress causing IBS because I was a stay at home mom with young children. This is not an "old man's disease" anymore. More and more younger people and women like me are being diagnosed.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:57 am

MargotMagoo,

You sound pretty "Fabulous" to me...

First things first...Congratulations on finishing chemotherapy and kickin' a little cancer a#$! You Rock!

Secondly, about the neuropathies? As you may know, Oxi has what is referred to as a "cumilative" affect. Also, each of our experiences are unique. I recieved 8 cycles of oxi and no longer have neuropathies.

Note, I was dx stage IV at the age of 30. As the story goes, my mummy told me that turning 30 would be the worst year of my life...As if all things go down hill after 30. Well, I certainly would agree that is was not the best year of my life and would qualify as a twist to my five year plan. Today, I am 33, alive and without evidence of disease. So, I am very much looking forward to a fabulous 40.

My advice, enjoy your post gratuate chemotherapy party! Live it up. Might wait a day or two to enjoy the ice cream but what the hell, you only live once and even a bite will not kill you! You have earned this moment!

Remember all things are possible and know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Holly

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:07 am

Congratulations on finishing the Chemo!!!! You made it through a tough time so now sit back and celebrate a bit!!

Like Holly said, we are each different in how we react to the Chemo. YES you will be able to eat cold things again!! Give it a few days and then just try some cold tap water, if that works graduate to something colder and so on. I was lucky and could eat cold things after about the 5th day of my chemo treatment. Yes I still have the numbies a year after my chemo was done, BUT, it isn't quite as bad and VERY SLOWLY going away. My oncologist told me yesterday that he was very happy to hear that it had subsided slowly. It tells him it WILL eventually go away....it just takes SO VERY LONG for nerve endings to heal. I had the full 12 treatments of Oxi too so THAT will make a difference.

Hey the good news from all that is that yesterday was my 18th month of being cancer free!!!!!!!!!!! PTL!! I can live with a little numbies for news like that. Again Congrats on the last treatment and go out and celebrate now!!!

HUGSSSSSSS Peg

margotmagoo

Thanks!

Postby margotmagoo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks Peg and Holly! I have been following your posts and you are both very supportive and knowledgable. It's a tough road being tainted by colon cancer but I thrive on all of the help and hope on this message board. FYI -- My friends formed a team in my name (Margot's Semicolons) and we walked the Relay for Life. What an experience. My mother, father, and brother-in-law have all been touched by cancer. I am proud to say that our team alone raised more that $9000 for the American Cancer Society!!!!

Holly

WOW

Postby Holly » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Margot...

Keep kickin' a little cancer a#$! It is my hope that your neuropathies are beginning to subside. With winter right around the corner, warm snuggly socks and mittens are PRICELESS!

Margot, this one is just for you...

You Rock!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”