Colon cancer age 22

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sam

Colon cancer age 22

Postby Sam » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:11 pm

I too was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of twenty two. I have most likely HNPCC. Do you have a genetic syndrome also?

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:02 pm

Hi Sam-

I was diagnosed at 23 and have had genetic testing done. They say that I'm "inconclusive," because the two genes they tested me for came back negative, but there are others out there that I wasn't tested for, and still others that haven't been found. Have you done any testing? Does it run in your family?

Jen Blaire

Postby Jen Blaire » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:20 pm

I was 21 at diagnosis, and I too had genetic testing, haven't recieved results yet, but defiantely not HNPCC they say. I only had the one lesion, no other polyps, and I have no family history, so my genetic doc, has no clue and is on the warpath to find the reason.
Stage III rectal cancer survivor, Age 21, and Miss September 2006 Colondar model

Holly

Genetic Testing

Postby Holly » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:01 am

I am so happy to hear that you all have been so proactive in the management of your health. I was dx at 30 (to all you twenty something year olds, hahaha, stop lol). I, too, underwent comprehensive genetic testing. The findings were that I do not have HNPCC (Lynch I or II syndromes) nor a known familar genetic mutation. I would recommend all colon cancer survivors seek genetic counseling and testing. There are many excellent resources ie: www.myriad.com, the mayo clinic in Rochester, MN as well as the City of Hope in California. I encourage all to talk to your physicians to discuss and explore genetic testing. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Congratulations on your SURVIVORSHIP!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”