Rose Bengal as a chemotheaputic.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
GrouseMan

Rose Bengal as a chemotheaputic.

Postby GrouseMan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:51 pm

I wanted to bring some additional attention to one of Garbovatwin news posts about ESMO GI providing new insights into HCC and metastatic liver cancer from other forms of cancer such as CRC. A lot of these insights I think seemed a bit disappointing for folks with liver mets or HCC. My father was recently dx with HCC quite by accident, and his cardiologist ordered a CT but didn't limit it to his upper torso, and they scanned his lower torso and got some great pictures of his liver showing a single Golf ball sized tumor in his liver. He has no risk factors and this is rare, unless it's a Met from another form of cancer, of if he had Hepatitis, or ate moldy peanuts! He has no other cancer that they can detect. So this is plenty rare. So since he is diagnosed with HCC, my wife had liver mets from her CRC, this caught my attention.

Nearly a year or more ago, on Linked In a friend I use to work with at the pharmaceutical company we were both employees before they shut down the facility, posted that the new company she started work for, had received a patent for use of an old well known compound called Rose Bengal as a treatment for cancer via direct injection into tumors. Primarily Melanoma. I contacted her and asked if they are doing other studies and at the time she said no not yet. But I expected as much because they really can't say publicly.

Now I see some preliminary work has been done with Liver tumors, Both HCC and from CRC mets! See the later part of this news article. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/296646.php

This is pretty exciting I think. Something as simple as this injected straight into the tumor once! It involves an immune response, and from what I have already read about melanoma, it may also prime this response against other mets nearby that were not injected!!!

Here is general information about Rose Bengal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_bengal

Here is information about the company http://www.thelifesciencesreport.com/pu ... herapeutic.

And https://www.pvct.com/

This is not an exotic chemical compound its been known for a very long time and is commonly called acid red 94.

Regards,

GrouseMan.
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

DK37

Re: Rose Bengal as a chemotheaputic.

Postby DK37 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Fascinating GrouseMan - thank you for posting.
As a priority I am going to do some digging into this...................
Cheers,
-DK
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

smalltownmess

Postby smalltownmess » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:11 am

Is the name for Rose Bengal as a chemotheraputic agent PV10? Did some quick googling and found this trial.. is this the Rose Bengal?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... V10&rank=1
Mom diagnosed Stage 4 with Liver mets 7/2011
July 11: Xeloda and Avastin
August 13: Irinotecan
June 14: Disease Progression
August 14: SBRT
October 14 - December 14: RRX-001
January - May 15: Irinotecan
May 15: One week Stivarga -- stopped b/c DRESS Syndrome
July 15: Disease progression
July 15: Start Xelox

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:11 am

Thanks for posting this. Some great info here.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:57 am

smalltownmess wrote:Is the name for Rose Bengal as a chemotheraputic agent PV10? Did some quick googling and found this trial.. is this the Rose Bengal?

Yes that is it, in a specific preparation for a specific purpose.
In vet school we learned of its use as a stain for corneal ulcers, BUTT now just about everyone uses fluorescein clinically ...
so Rose Bengal as "chemo" is a great find as far as I am concerned !!!!

I am a huge fan of old drugs finding new and BETTER uses !
Let's see where this leads.

CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:39 am

smalltownmess wrote:Is the name for Rose Bengal as a chemotheraputic agent PV10? Did some quick googling and found this trial.. is this the Rose Bengal?

Yes - That is indeed the one.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

smalltownmess

Postby smalltownmess » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Mentioned this to Dr. Fisher today at Stanford and he said he hadn't heard of it. He and his fellow did say they would look it up though. He did note that none of them were at academic centers, we'll see if we hear anything back.

DK37

Postby DK37 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 pm

I looked into the scientific literature, I wanted to post (2) very pertinent scientific papers/abstracts (I think both are free access so should work for anyone that wants to download).

1.) Preclinical paper where they begin to dissect the immune mechanism of action: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0068561
2.) Preclinical abstract where they discuss preclinical activity in CRC (Abstract #P134 on page S86): http://expo.jspargo.com/exhibitor/web/S ... tracts.pdf

Especially Ref #1 has a lot of scientific detail in it -- but some take home messages:
- Requires direct injection into a tumor, non-tumor injection showed no effect
- Certainly immune related, some non-injected tumors were impacted when a separate tumor in the same animal was injected with the drug (bystander effect). Even more interestingly, when they transferred immune system T-cells from treated mice into different mice, those mice were then resistant to tumor growth showing successful immune memory and transfer between animals.

This reminds me of local injection of oncolytic viruses, except in this case the local tumor is chemoablated. When local injection oncolytic virus therapy was combined with systemic PD-1 inhibitors in preclinical models, the PD-1 inhibitors really increased the anti-tumor effects throughout the body (i.e. "bystander" or "abscopal" effects). The authors admit that they are still trying to figure out why the immune system is taking such abnormally close attention to the way Rose bengal is killing the tumor. In general terms, this is called an "immunogenic cell death" - they are still figuring out the specific details.

Especially now that there are new potential routes to a systemic (abscopal) effect, it seems to me that there will probably be more and more intra-tumoral injection trials in the future. As a non-expert conjencture, it seems to me that using interventional radiology, it would be in-between a needle biopsy and RFA in terms of difficulty.

Definitely exciting times ahead in novel cancer treatment strategies!

-DK
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Thank you for posting that Grouseman and DK.. Asked onc about it but he said due to peri involvement not a good idea.. But wouldn't the peri mets get the bystander effect too? ... This sounds so promising ! It had a note for compassionate use on the company website but not sure if that's for HCC only... Thanks again!
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

cnorton1960

Postby cnorton1960 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Just wanted to throw this out there - I only skimmed the messages but this whole post threw me for a loop - Rose Bengal being my grandma's name. Just brought back memories......
[i][color=#008000][size=85]Diagnosed 6/08
Rad/Chemo 06-09/2008
Surgery 11/08-Stage IIA
Temp Illeostomy-R/V fistula
Tried 5x to fix fistula
Ileostomy rev. 12/2010
2nd ileostomy rev. 12/2011
01/2013-Turnbull Cutait procedure-Healed!
3rd ileostomy rev. 04/18/2013-All is good!

alanrobertross

Postby alanrobertross » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi, I am new here but I have been doing due diligence on PV-10 (which is Provectus' formulation of Rose bengal) for years. My Grandmother died from CRC and my Aunt has been struggling with it for many years. I am also a cancer survivor so I have too much first-hand knowledge, myself.

Anyway... I read elsewhere that you were discussing RB here and I thought I might be able to help, so I registered for your forum.
Up front, I want you to know that I am so impressed with PV-10 that I bought stock in the company. I think this drug needs to get approved quickly because it is so effective. I also have a free part of my website that covers Provectus and its drugs. You can read the article without registering, here: http://www.trustintelligence.com/forum/index.php

I will give you a the Coles Notes version and then point out the most relevant part for people who have CRC or other solid tumors.

RB has been around as a stain for about 100 years. It was used in people to stain the eye and liver. It has a half-life in the body of only about 30 minutes. It does not harm normal cells.
PV-10 is highly pure RB in a 10% saline solution. It is injected into the tumor. It is most effective if as much as the tumor will take, is injected. PV-10 enters the cancer cells and kills it within days. The cell's debris cause the patient's immune system to be able to ID the cancer that was killed and t-cells proliferate and circulate through the body killing other similar cancers wherever they find them. In other words, if you inject a primary melanoma it can kill a met to the lung.

Most of the human work has been on melanoma and a Phase II trial was published last year. A Phase I trial in breast cancer was successful, as was/is a Phase 1 in liver cancer, which is continuing. The efficacy data has been better than existing treatments and side-effects are mostly pain from the injection. There are no systemic effects because it is not injected into the bloodstream.

There is a Compassionate Use Program but that is only FDA approved for cutaneous and subcutaneous cancer. People with other cancers (I believe including CRC) have been treated in the program because they had cutaneous or subcutaneous cancer too. You can see the details and who to contact, here: http://www.pvct.com/compassionateuse.html

The expanded Phase 1 Liver cancer trial is both for people with primary liver cancer (HCC) and for people with metastatic liver disease (MLD). CRC often metastasizes to the liver and in the trial, some people with CRC had their liver tumor treated (only 1 shot allowed in the trial) very successfully. The data has not been fully released but there is reason to believe that the immune effect made the liver injection also work on the cancer in other locations. This has happened for a few patients, who ended up with No Evidence of Disease, years later.

People with CRC with liver mets, who qualify can still get into this trial. I know they are looking for people with primary digestive system cancers that spread to liver, including pancreatic cancer, because PV-10 has been successful in preclinical tests with animals. So far, everything that has worked with animals has worked with humans when they tried it. You can get the trial information here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... tus&rank=2

I will let it go at that now and leave you with the Provectus website www.pvct.com where there is lots more information.
I will check back later in case anyone posts any questions that I can answer.

pacificnorthwest1
Facebook Username: n/a

Postby pacificnorthwest1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 pm

pukalania wrote:Thank you for posting that Grouseman and DK.. Asked onc about it but he said due to peri involvement not a good idea.. But wouldn't the peri mets get the bystander effect too? ... This sounds so promising ! It had a note for compassionate use on the company website but not sure if that's for HCC only... Thanks again!

A sincere suggestion to all seeking PV-10 treatment information:

I am happy you discovered the sometimes hidden gem and remarkable PV-10 treatment.
For you or anyone who will pursue a PV-10, Rose Bengal cancer injection, treatment (made by Provectus Biopharmaceuticals) . . .

It is my strongest recommendation that you ask to speak directly with the treating physician ONLY, when you call the clinical trial location(s).
If the front line person insists on being able to answer questions, I would explain, it is about my life, and therefore very important to me, to speak directly with the treating physician ONLY.
I would call as often at it took, or have a friend call, until I found the opportunity to speak directly with the treating physician ONLY.

Reason for this suggestion?

When I called various trial locations, I confirmed every time, that the front line staff knows less about PV-10 than I do.
Sometimes they have recommended other treatments, which have serious adverse effects, sometimes even killing patients, and/or reached the highest success rate of 26% success.
In comparison, a PV-10 approximate success rate is something around 71%+ success, has no serious adverse effects, does not destroy healthy tissues, and the biggest side effect is described as local pain at injection which lasts only a short time.

(Important note: the approximate 71% PV-10 success rate is from past trials where all tumors were not yet allowed by the FDA to be injected. Past trials, medical professionals in the know and animal studies, give every reason to believe that future PV-10 trial success rate will be approximately around 80-90% or better, again, where all tumors are allowed by the FDA to be injected.

Again:
When calling a clinical trial site, I would only rely on answers from the treating physician, since the front line clinical trial staff have so far proven to be unreliable at best, regarding this remarkable, rarely known, breakthrough treatment which Even some medical professionals, who claim to be in the know, are still thinking it is too good to be true. The high success rate and bystander effect will sound too good to be true, I promise.
Reaching out to Alan Ross, who has a Trust Intelligence blog with extensive hours on PV-10 research, is a great resource also.
To let you know also: this recommendation, to ask for the treating physician only, when calling any clinical trial location, comes from important medical professionals who are in the know about the facts of PV-10.
I would NOT post this recommendation here, if I did not have reliable medical professional support

Current Liver
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... -10&rank=1

Current Melanoma
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... -10&rank=5

Highest Regards,
pacificnorthwest1
Last edited by pacificnorthwest1 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 am

Fascinating posts! I wonder if this could turn out to be "IT"?
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

alanrobertross

Postby alanrobertross » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 am

PV-10 isn't going to be perfect, but it is unlikely to be very risky.

Melanoma patients report the shot of PV-10 hurts, but that may not be the case for when they inject liver or other solid tumors. And it doesn't have systemic effects. No digestive problems, hair loss, etc.

The cancer that is injected usually dies in a couple of days if the tumor was pumped with enough PV-10 so it doesn't tend to postpone other treatments. In melanoma, biopsy of the tumor site, a week after injection found no live tumor cells to analyse in research by doctors at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa.

The immunological effect that can hunt down, attack, and kill uninjected tumors seems to take about a week to start working. It looks like the adaptive immunity that the PV-10 causes stays with you, although it is only good on genetically similar cancer. If another type of cancer arises or if there are mutations that exist, PV-10 should be injected into them to widen the adaptive immunity.

But keep in mind that PV-10 has not yet been FDA approved and you can only get it by being in a trial or the compassionate use program... if you qualify.
Qualifying is not easy and I explained that a bit in my earlier post. At this point, you need to have cancer in your liver or a subcutaneous or cutaneous cancer that is not amenable to surgical 'cure'. There are other rules too and you can see them on the clinicaltrial.gov website.

In my view, people with solid tumors need this drug, or one as effective as it has been show to be so far, approved ASAP.

smalltownmess

Postby smalltownmess » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi alanrobertross,

Does using PV10 under compassionate use still mean that only one tumor can be injected per 28 days or are the guidelines more flexible? I asked the research coordinator at one of the trial sites but she has been slow at getting back to me.

Thanks!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”