? methlytrexate

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

? methlytrexate

Postby Nickmark59 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 pm

My wife who is a stage II thyroid survivor was recently DX with a mild form of Sclearaderma and they are saying she may have to take methyltrexate a chemo drug to keep it in check has any one used this chemo and can give any advice?
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

justin case

Re: ? methlytrexate

Postby justin case » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Nick, my wife took it for an overactive immune system, or rheumatoid arthritis, and as I recall no major side effects.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Nick,
Took it for a number of years for Psoriasis, where it is used in the same way as Michael's wife used it, in that it is a chemo drug that acts as an immune suppressant to stop your body reacting to itself. I had to google Sclearaderma but I would imagine it is for her body to stop hardening her tissue.
I used it for about 7 years, and had blood tests every 3 months as it can do some damage to your liver. I used to also have to take it with folic acid.
Hope it goes well for your wife.
Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Nick, they give it at a lower dose than for cancer patients. It has been quite successfully for auto immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis as Michael has indicated. I once many years ago worked in a group that came up with a drug call Trimetrexate, which has the same mechanism of action, and very similar chemical structure which we were investigating also as an anticancer drug. We found it worked particularly well against Karposi's Sarcoma, which is common in in Advanced AIDS patients. If I recall both these drugs act on the TS pathway, and are Dihydrofolate Reductase inhibitors, similar to 5-FU, and it will impact use of Folic acid similarly.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:09 am

Part of my long term side effects from chemo I have psoriatic arthritis plus an unknown auto immune disease of the kidneys resulting in my losing up to seven grams of protein a day thru my urine. My rheumatologist and nephrologist agreed that I should take methotrexate to combat my auto immune problems. I started out taking tablets , the stuff has a terrible likeness to 5fu even to the point of taking folic acid and or leucovorin to try and minimise the side effects. I found tablets nauseating so I went to self injections. That helped but both tablets and injections both caused a major flare in peripheral neuropathy. I went to a neurologist who did nerve conductivity tests and confirmed severe motor sensori peripheral neuropathy. It was suggested I stop taking methotrexate. My protein loss went thru the roof and I was put on cyclosporine , a more powerful immune suppressant. I have been on it over a year. It is controlling the nephrotic syndrome. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”