Trying to decide

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kpjpmom
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Trying to decide

Postby kpjpmom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 pm

I need to make a decide if I should go on permanent disability. I have been on short term since March. I have been able to rest up between treatments which has been nice. I would get disability for two years then be eligible to get my retirement. How did you go about deciding? Feel like I am giving up if I do but just such a hard decision!
Kpjpmom
DX March 2011 stg 3 cc
Kidney cancer May 2011
Folfox 6months (12 rnds)
It's Back! October 2012 colon resection, kidney removed.FOLFIRI/Erbitux starts Jan.2013
Completed FOLFIRI June 2013, Erbitux continues
March 2015 Met to spine. Radiation 15 treatments
Folfri, 5fu dropped after 3x, Erbitux and Iri continued CEA rising. Moved to
Folfox, Xeloda,Avastin until Feb. 2016 oxilap. Neuropathy returns.
Xeloda,Avastin continues.

Nik Colon

Re: Trying to decide

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:11 pm

I would say it's up to how you feel. Don't feel like it's giving up. Best wishes

Lee
Posts: 6202
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Trying to decide

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:40 pm

I am not anywhere near an expert on this. BUTT from what little I know, getting disability for stage III could be a challenge. Yet because you are close to retirement, it might be easier than expected.

Maybe talking to a lawyer might be a good idea. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Lee

PS Edited because I just read your signature line where it came back. Yes it you need it, by all means apply for it. That's what it's there for.

Again, good luck.
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

User avatar
elise
Posts: 1519
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: Ontario (Canada)

Re: Trying to decide

Postby elise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:57 am

I'm in a somewhat similar predicament. I'm stage 4 NED but was left with a brain that's mush so doing my normal management job isn't do-able right now and may never be doable. I'm 33 and currently on LTD. It's a BIG question for me that causes a lot of anxiety. My therapist has helped me work thru some of it but still...

Good luck.

Elise
2012
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
2013
Feb - NED
2014
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
2015
Ap, Oct - NED
2016
Mar - NED

midlifemom
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 am
Location: NJ

Re: Trying to decide

Postby midlifemom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:39 am

Just my story,
I decided to go for disability. At times I miss working, but wasn't really able to do my job, juggling it with treatments, fatigue, diarrhea.
The biggest benefit was not working gave me the ability to do things with my son, to bake, and lots of other things which helped me enjoy the good days. Reduced income was tough, but still worth the freedom I gained.
Good luck with your decision.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests