Pulmonary Embolism while on Avastin - anyone else?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jhocno197

Pulmonary Embolism while on Avastin - anyone else?

Postby jhocno197 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Two weeks ago, we found out that my husband had a pulmonary embolism, likely due to the Avastin he was getting alongside FOLFIRI. This thing is kicking his butt...fatigue, pain, no endurance for anything, really. Thankfully he was able to sit & be present at our daughter's fifth birthday party yesterday, but that's about all he can do - and usually not for very long. Anyone else go through this? How long did it take you to feel 'better' (not that he has felt well for many months now, but it hasn't been this bad)? He is taking Xarelto and the clots are dissolving, so there's some steps in the right direction. He has been so stoic through almost everything, but he said yesterday he was feeling despair :(.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

ilivebyfaith

Re: Pulmonary Embolism while on Avastin - anyone else?

Postby ilivebyfaith » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Reading your signature, my dh too was misdiagnosed at first, diagnosis initially was hereditary anemia and hematologist even told us not to worry as its not anything like cancer. 2 weeks after, I rushed him in the hospital thinking it was appendicitis and 2 ct scans and 1 colonoscopy after, the diagnosis came out and alas, our lives were changed, his dx was stage iv colon ca with mets to liver and lungs.

My dh is still kinda new with avastin, he received his 7th infusion last week together with folfirinox. He hasn't experienced embolism (thank goodness) although its something I keep a close eye on, as its included in one of the adverse effects of avastin.

Hope someone in the board will pitch in. Hoping your dh will feel better the soonest.
Carer to DH 42, DX MCRC IV mets liver,lungs 9/9/14;Wild type, KRAS/NRAS nonmutant; Folfox 3x Folfox+Vectibix 3x CTscan, liver mets gone, colon tumor 12 to 15cm, lung mets inc (31-R, 19-L); Change: FOLFIRI + erbitux 6x, colon and liver clear, progress in lungs. Change: folfirinox + Avastin 12x, lung metastasectomy, molecular profiling, folfiri + erbitux, progression, will be switched to stivarga PRAISE GOD FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS!

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:02 am

No problems here with Avastin. My wife has been on it 21 months now with the only known side effect to hit her was a rise in Blood pressure. Her BP was low to begin with because she has been a lifetime distance runner. So a low dose Ace inhibitor manages to keep it easily in the normal range. She experiences fatigue of course, but chalks that up to the 5FU and the fact she is finding it harder to train for races as it takes longer to work your way back to the longer distances, between treatments. I think she is actually thinking about giving up running the longer distances now. Confine herself to 5 K events.

I am not sure Avastin is the source of your troubles. The other drugs your DH is on are actually pretty hard on ones heart as well.

Regards

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 am

Hi I developed a large PE at the end of February. I was on FOLFIRI with Avastin. It was my 23 rd cycle of the meds. Don't know that Avastin itself is the cause. I had previously developed a DVT while on 5FU during initial rad treatments to the primary tumor. I am reasonably sure the clots are due to the chemo. I was off chemo for several years and never got a clot. Recovery from the PE has been very slow. I am not yet fully recovered. When I was first released from the hospital I had to use bottled oxygen all the time. Even now I still sleep with oxygen but I dont use it during the day. I missed about 3 weeks of work after first diagnosed with the PE and was off of chemo for at least a month. Your husband will recover but it is a slow process.

Good luck,

Mark
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

Redtexa5

Postby Redtexa5 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:35 am

I had a PE on FOLFOX no Avastin used. From what my Onc said about 20% of cancer patients get blood clots during treatment and they are not sure why.

It sucks but the treatments they have will work, but it will take time.
Start of symptoms 9/08
Dx Stage IIIc/IV CC 2/09
T4bNxM0
Colostomy 2/09
Radiation/5FU 3/09-5/09
FOLFOX 6 6/09-8/09
9/09 Tumor removed Colostomy reversed
10/09-1/10 FOLFOX 6
3/10-2/15 NED
2/14 Colonoscopy NED
2/15 Colonoscopy NED
6/15 PET/CT NED
2/17 7 years NED

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:33 pm

My dad had them after about 16 rounds of straight folfiri. He's on heparin shots 2x a day. Recent scan shows they are all gone but will continue shots while on chemo. He had terrible chest pains and very tired. Feels better now. Still tired from chemo but manageable
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”