Surgery complications from damaged tissue.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jjlist

Surgery complications from damaged tissue.

Postby jjlist » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 am

I have been having proctitis and sacral pain. Occasional mild rectal bleeding.
Ct and pet have always shown some kind of tissue inflammation since my LAR. My surgeon says everthing looks fine to him. All I know is I am starting to get significant pain from sacrum. Sometimes I can feel a gas bubble and it feels like it's in my sacrum, it causes pain, passes and the pain subsides. i don't know if any more surgery would find anything. I am very concerned anyone going in there would make things worse. From frail friable damaged tissue. Anyone ever undergo a surgery the would not do again?
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

teacher49

Re: Surgery complications from damaged tissue.

Postby teacher49 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

JJ,

I had APR for Stage 2a, low, rectal CA. Complications after surgery included a presacral abscess. Had percutaneous drain tubes through my right butt cheek TWICE!

IN 2014 I had R hip surgery and the MRI that I had done showed a remnant of abscess same presacral spot. Not thought to be recurrence.....since no other markers were elevated. But I just wanted to tell you that....in case you still had residual abscess that was causing some pain in sacrum.

I still have a lot of pain in my right SI joint. That is just to the right and underneath the sacrum. Walking uphill, bending to changes sheets on bed....all of that gives me a lot of pain in right lower back tailbone area.

Don't know if you've had any subsequent CTs or MRIs. My ONC does not believe in additional CTs unless I am having symptoms....or CEA, or other. It was the orthopedic surgeon who authorized the MRI.

Hope you find out what is causing the pain.
F, 62,CRC, Adenoca, mod diff
cT3N0M0 Stage IIA May 2011
chemorad
APR on 9/27/11 Margins & Nodes Neg
comp.after surg/2 pelvic abscesses/Sepsis/Hosp 40 days
10th FOLFOX 6/6/2012 feet went numb
5FU to finish
NED 8/11/2021

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 am

Did you have radiation? Its not quite the same sort of issue, but radiation did so much damage! I had radiation and chemo before an ultralow anterior resection for rectal cancer. I had an ileostomy for nine months and then a reversal, which appeared extremely successful. But over the following two years, radiation damage set in, scarring and stiffening my pouch and gluing the pouch and my uterus together. Lucky for me, the only issue I had was with pooping, and I went in for an elective colostomy (which was difficult due to scarring preventing good mobilisation, so I have a permenant loop instead of end colostomy. Once the poop issue was fixed, I wouldnt know anything was amiss other than the fact that when I do poop, even though it comes out my stoma, it can sometimes hurt like the blazes in the rear end. And my surgeon told me to hope I never need a hysterectomy because that won't be an easy operation.

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 am

I had a APR for low rectal CA. I have the same symptoms that you described. Pain in the sacrum until a gas bubble passes to my stoma. I take it as just part of the joy of having rectal CA treatment.

Mark
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes jachit I had radiation.
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”