Supplements, yay or nay? Lycopene, grapeseed extract, reseveratrol, curcumin

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jhocno197

Supplements, yay or nay? Lycopene, grapeseed extract, reseveratrol, curcumin

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Well-meaning people are always sending me links about 'natural' ways to fight colon cancer.
I can find no definitive answer on these 4. What say you, o wise & experienced members? Any benefit to any of these?
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

JDinNC

Re: Supplements, yay or nay? Lycopene, grapeseed extract, reseveratrol, curcumin

Postby JDinNC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:13 pm

You'll find mixed thoughts regarding supplements on this board.

Lycopene is the chemical makeup in a tomato. So if you like tomatoes, just continue eating them. Grape seed extract and reserverstrol is from grapes again if you enjoy grapes and red wine just continue. Turmeric/ curcumin has had some positive research in fighting cancer. Again, it's your decision to use them, I personally take curcumin.
You need to do your own research on supplements...you won't find many suggestions here since this board focus more on conventional treatments.
I would focus on eating healthy, organic fruits and veggies..reducing your intake of red meats
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Re: Supplements, yay or nay? Lycopene, grapeseed extract, reseveratrol, curcumin

Postby Jachut » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Cooked tomatoes are better than raw for absorbing Lycopene. Lucky, I hate raw tomatoes :D

Personally, I think you need to eat those things. I think your body needs everything together for the nutrients to be bioavailable.

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:17 pm

You won't find definitive answers with "high level evidence".

These highly concentrated extracts, in concert with other compounds, can in principle and various degrees of practice, modulate cytokines, hormones and pathways to improve your body and cancer. This is what some alternative practitioners attempt to individualize with diverse degrees of technology, sophistication and patient information. Often these combinations are presented as long, multiple choice menus.

For unremoved mets, I wouldn't do standalone supplements nor would I do standalone chemo. Just like Folfiri or Folfox could often successfully retreat 5FU patients in earlier times, useful compounds in concert will improve or (re)activate chemo effectiveness. One won't work without another. The problem is finding knowledgeable practitioners who know what they are doing with biologically based bloodwork.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:34 pm

jhocno197 wrote:Well-meaning people are always sending me links about 'natural' ways to fight colon cancer.

Yes, I remember those well meaning people too. I would tell them thanks, but I'm under the supervision of a Dr and sometimes these natural remedies are counterproductive to what my Dr is doing.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Rp nailed it. It would be unwise to choose natural remedies over effective conventional treatments, especially at diagnosis, but why not throw anything and everything at it, finances providing. Who is to say your particular cancer won't respond to x,y, or z natural remedy. The danger in believing in incidental success stories comes when people have treatable, curable lower stage cancer and try natural remedies to avoid surgery and chemo. This why many people on this board are quick to dismiss natural remedies, I feel. But hell, if eating more carrots (that was the one I was told my someone well meaning) can make a difference, bring on the carrot juice... After the chemo and surgery. It couldn't hurt and who is to say it won't help. Especially if it helps you to feel you are doing everything you can. I feel treatment alone is enough, but I fully support anyone else who wants to juice, supplement, sauna or whatever else they believe will help fight cancer or makes them feel better physically or emotionally.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks, all! I should have explained further; I'm not looking for anything to replace chemo, but in addition. We are 10 treatments (of presumably lifelong chemo) in. I know that sometimes, even if only in certain cases, other things than just chemo may be even of slight benefit.
It's nice to have somewhere to come & ask others that are actually in this situation, and not just people pushing baking soda...
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Lycopene, has always been beneficial to ones diet, but I have never heard of it being described as a cancer cure, preventative perhaps, but those are too very different things. Grapeseed extract reseveratrol, there is a lot of scientific debate over. GSK spent a fortune on this and it didn't lead to anything. Additionally many initial studies have been difficult to reproduce, so the jury is still out on if this is useful at all beyond extending the life of worms.

Curcumin has the most solid evidence behind it for inhibiting cancer growth. The problem is its very poorly bioavailable, and quality sources are hard to come by. How it is sourced and manufactured will depend on how good the supplement actually is. There are a lot of bad supplement suppliers out there some supplements not even containing the desired material. There is one source, which unfortunately I can't remember the name of, which is not sold directly to the public, only researchers, and supplement manufactures. I think rp may remember the company I refer to. The amounts used in Research in tumor cell cultures and mice don't translate well to human quantities either. To reach those levels often results in GI upset for many folks. You would have expected to take many grams per day and some people just can't handle that.

There were some pure chemical modifications of the main active ingredient of curcumin, that were better, more active compounds, as well, as more bioavailable. Unfortunately, I don't believe these ever made it to a clinical trial, and thus the market place.

There are a lot of other things you could try that have pretty good incidental evidence that they have some action against some cancers, PSK, Cimetidine, Aspirin or celecoxib. Search this forum for those terms as well as Adapt. RP1954 can likely suggest others. Just stay away from the snake oil salesmen trying to get you to buy ion infused water, stuff to make you more or maybe less alkaline by supposedly changing your pH.

Good luck in your quest. I would just start out initially by working with a dietitian to get you on a good healthy diet.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Thank you for the very thorough answer. :)

I very much appreciate the time you all take to help by answering our questions.
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 am

I can only give you my experience with resveratrol as it is the one supplement that I have taken faithfully since diagnosis. I found a study, back, I believe in 2007 which was conducted at a university in Colorado (either UC or Colorado State) which showed a definite correlation between resveratrol use with and without chemo to help kill cancer cells. Now, it did NOT state that a patient should take resveratrol instead of chemo but rather that studies were indicating that patients who used a combo of both showed better results than those who simply did the chemo. Whether that study was reproduced or not....I do not know. I have seen further studies indicating that resveratrol has been shown to have some cancer killing properties. My onc was on board with this supplementation but at the time, I was done with chemo. I further discussed it with my GP and my cardiologist who both said the same thing....there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and everything right about it....cancer or not. I still take two supplements a day and have done so for the last 8 years. Can it 'kill' cancer by itself? Highly doubtful. Does it have other good properties? Yes...as my cardiologist stated to me....resveratrol is the compound in red wine that he recommends to all patients that helps protect the heart. I don't like red wine...so why not take this supplement?

Whether or not any or all of these supplements help is still open to debate. Talk with your oncologist and get his/her take and listen to what he/she has to say. They likely will not hurt you but just make sure your onc is on board with your choices.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 am

Yes...as my cardiologist stated to me....resveratrol is the compound in red wine that he recommends to all patients that helps protect the heart. I don't like red wine...so why not take this supplement?

My heart must be incredibly healthy then.... :mrgreen:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I know that the director of the complementary treatment unit at Sloan thinks that curcumin has a place in cancer treatment. As for the other 3, I never heard anything about them as it relates to cancer; although they may have uses in health maintenance generally. Don't forget about Vit D3, aspirin, and possibly calcium which are regarded as useful in colorectal cancer prevention.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm

I might point out that there are now better technical means to measure the effects and benefits of supplements and treatments. I recently came across this webpage (thanks to lpas' link on another question) from Lexington Natl Health in Massachusetts. Looks a little spendy if insurance won't cover the testing, but awesome to even be available. I would try to find an alternative doctor like this for support.

From our perspective, alternative components, driven with advanced bloodwork, enable much longer and better "chemo for life".
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:42 pm

I am a huge supporter of using supplements and diet, as well as conventional tools to fight this disease. My advice is to educate yourself. 'By understanding why you may need a supplement and how they work, will help you decide what is best for YOU. I highly recommend that you try and find a Natriopathic Doctor with a specialization in Cancer or oncology to help you. An initial consult is worth the cost. Mine put together a comprehensive plan for me with studies that supported why she recommend certain supplements. She was also knowledgeable about the conventional approach and drugs and could check for contraindications and effectiveness. Its worth the cost and its worthwhile to have the support. I have two NDs that I see. They support my spirt as well and have a whole body approach. I really do credit conventional and natural approaches to helping me with my disease.

As a start, you could also pick up the book Anticancer. It will help, tremendously.

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

bjones1128
Facebook Username: barbslife

Postby bjones1128 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:45 pm

My oncologist actually recommended that I take curcumin along with the chemo. There has been sufficient research done to show that it can actually reduce the size of tumors. I was warned, however, to make sure I got a good quality and to make sure that it came with bioperine (black pepper) as this is what helps your body to absorb the curcumin. My doc recommended Pure Encapsulations Curcumin 500 with Bioperine. I got it on Amazon, the doc didn't get any kind of kickback. It is simply what she recommended.

Barb J
Single mom of two wonderful boys
Dx June 2014 Stage IVB Colon (sigmoid) @ age 38
Mets in brain, lungs, adrenal gland, nodes, ovary
July 2014 stereotactic radiosurgery to brain
July 2014 craniotomy, brain met removed!
Aug 2014 Folfiri
Feb 2015 Xeloda & Avastin didn't work
May 2015 mets to spine & knee, more mets to lungs, airspace disease
May 2015 Folfox, Avastin, Zemota
May 2015 radiation to knee

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”