OT- I graduated and moved.... to DC!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
abuttigi

OT- I graduated and moved.... to DC!

Postby abuttigi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Hey everyone!

It's been awhile since I posted on the forum. I've had a couple of milestones in my career, and since you guys have been there in my deepest lows, I thought it was only fair for you to see my highs too! Anyway, so if you guys don't know the process for medical students to gain a residency, basically what happens is we apply to residency positions and interview in the winter. In February, the programs rank the applicants and we rank programs. Then, on March 21st, we find out where we matched and will be continuing our education.

As a lot of you know, my mom lives alone and doesn't drive. We had many conversations about what I should do, and, unfortunately, everyone else also gave their 2 cents. I loved this program in DC, but didn't want to leave my mom, even though the programs in Michigan weren't exactly my style. With my mom's encouragement and blessing, I ranked Children's National in DC number 1, and on March 21st, found out I matched there! Here's my reaction:

My sister was very happy for me, and my mom was too, but I felt like she was just a little sad that I was really leaving Michigan. I'm still struggling with this, but I hope it gets easier.

Since then, I graduated and went on a 3 week Europe trip with my friends. Graduation was very bittersweet. Ever since the day my dad was diagnosed, he said he wanted to see a doctor. Graduating and knowing he wasn't physically watching killed me. I would have killed for a hug from him that day, for a pat on the back, for his gentle touch that I remember o so well. He would have been so, so proud, and so, so happy. Anyway, here's a picture of my mom, sister, and I on my graduation:

So now I live in DC. My mom came here with me to help me get settled, then she went to Nashville to visit my sister. She keeps telling me she is so happy that I'm doing my own thing and living my life, but I still feel bad for leaving her. Since my life was so flexible this year, I lived at home and took her where she needed to go and kept her company. I'm so thankful for facetime, skype, and standby airline tickets from family, but I'm hoping I didn't abandon her.

Anywho, I wanted to write this post to thank this forum from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for welcoming me when I was terrified those first couple of weeks, thank you for reassuring me and helping me through my dad's illness with medical knowledge and with words of support, thank you for giving me the strength to go on in school and make my dad proud and the strength to know when I needed to go home and be with my dying father. Thank you for making me realize the importance of that family vacation in Daytona Beach that my mom still talks about to this day. Thank you for all your support, love, and courage. I sincerely would not have made it here without all of you.

Also, I dedicate this to KarMel, who told me about her journey through medical school with a mother with cancer and confided in me about her own medical background to give me support. I hope you met my dad, and both of you are proud of me.

What beauty can happen in the setting of an ugly, ruthless disease.

Love,

Angie
Daughter to George (64)
Dx'ed Jan '11 Stage IV CC liver and peritoneum, KRAS mutant
Folfox
Folfori, Avastin
SIRT
Aug '12- progression in liver, mets to lungs
Oct '12- mets to bone, Regorafenib
Nov '12- Hospice
12/10/12- Became my beautiful angel in heaven

BrownBagger

Re: OT- I graduated and moved.... to DC!

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 pm

I know I speak for the entire board, Angie, when I say that we're so happy and proud for you. You've been an amazing inspiration to all of us "old timers" around here, who watched you care for your late dad and attend medical school at the same time. You showed remarkable poise, dedication and courage throughout.

So, congratulations. I envy your future patients!

--Eric
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Angie,

This brought tears to my eyes. Your Dad would have been so proud of you...as we all are. You've been a great daughter. I'm sure your Mom is thrilled for you. No need to feel guilty.

Congratulations, Angie! Great job.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Eric said it all Angie .....

except, we hope you will not be a stranger around here
we are equally supportive of residents,
former future Doc, who now actually IS !

MEGA congratulations and ....
Love Peace and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Congratulations Angie! Love the picture of you, your mom and your sister. We are all proud of you for surpassing your goals with everything else going on in your life. I know your dad is beaming down from heaven. You are such smart girls!
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Congratulations!!! I think your mother is very proud. She of course will miss you, but who is to say you will remain apart?. After this phase of your training, who knows you may end up coming home to Michigan. Besides, if you plan accordingly, you have many choices of airports to fly out of out there, and I bet you could find some cheap flights home into DTW to visit your mom when on holidays or if and when they give you some time off. I think someone up above is beaming!

Again, congratulations!

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:39 am

Follow your dreams, Angie. Things will work out with your mother. Congratulations. We are all proud of you. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:24 am

Angie!!!
So very, very proud of you! You are an amazing young woman. I just know your dad is looking down and celebrating his incredible daughter. I really believe your mom wants you doing what you need to be doing right now. As a mom, I can tell you that nothing makes us happier than knowing our kids are doing what is in there heart to do. Thank you so much for the update. DC is very fortunate to get you. <3

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:58 am

Congratulations! Totally well deserved. Great work. Your dad was no doubt with you in spirit, cheering you along. Your mum must be so proud, I'm sure she wants you to get out there and make the most of your opportunities. The fact that you worry for her proves you won't forget her and will make sure she's ok. Well done.

Georgie
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

andy21

Postby andy21 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Your dad would have been so proud of you..

It's end of a journey and start of a voyage and hope this voyage of yours takes you to the unsolved medical frontiers to find cure to the empress of maladies.
Caregiver: To 67 Yr father
diag. Stage IV, 5/12, liver mets
6 cycles Xelox/Avastin, Start 06/12
Stage 1 of Two Stage Resection Surgery in Dec, 12. 2nd line fails.
T Cell Trial May-Jul, 2013
Becomes a Heavenly Angel in August, 2013

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 pm

That is so awesome Angie!!! I'm incredibly happy for you and know that your Dad is smiling somewhere. Best of luck with your new career and don't be a stranger on this board.

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Congratulations, Angie!

I love D.C.! My son lived there for about 4-5 years while he attended George Washington University for a Master's Degree. We took all of our kids there on vacation many times and he never forgot how vibrant it is. He's moved on since then to NYC and is now in San Francisco, but I still wish he were in D.C.

You have done your parents proud. Do NOT feel guilty about your mom. You have to live your own life. I was in a similar situation as you. My mom did not drive and I felt obligated to always help her. In fact, I turned down a chance to work in D.C. straight out of college because I felt guilty. I wish I had taken the job offer.

Keep in touch with us. :D
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Angie,

Congratulation on graduating from medical school. I know your Dad and KarMel are both very proud of you. And your mother must be super proud too. I wish you happiness and a long life as your start your new career. I have a niece who works in D.C. also. She loves it!!

Maybe your mother can join you in D.C. in the near future. Can't remember if your sister is near by

Don't be a stranger, it was great to read your latest post.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:31 pm

WOOOO HOOOO for you!!! Hard to believe this day is here!!!

Your papa is very proud I am sure, and same for your mama!! You are not leaving her, you are not deserting her....you are doing what she planned for you all these years...to go forward with your life and be/do everything you are destined to be. We don't have children to live out our lives....we have children with the hope they will live out THEIR lives in every sense of the word.

Spread your wings sweet Angie....continue to make your parent's proud and live your life out loud!!!!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:50 pm

I always said, with your compassion towards life, I sure wish you were my doctor :(
Well Done, and congratulations 8)
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”