Diet changes-any health nuts out there (or healthy conscious)??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dontwanttobehere

Diet changes-any health nuts out there (or healthy conscious)??

Postby dontwanttobehere » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

As a parent to 5 kids and wife to a husband who has an auto immune type of arthritis I have always wished I was more pro active in making healthier food choices for them and for me. My diagnosis might be the kick in the seat I have needed to start the ball rolling. We in general eat pretty healthy but very much of a western diet with fruits and vegetables mixed in. I have a sweet friend who with great intentions has shared a LOT of information about do's and dont's. Her do's included a lot of stuff like protein powders and additional supplements. I have also been reading about the impact diet can have on cancer prevention. While I know there are some people who eat Twinkies for dinner and wash it down with beer and never get cancer that unfortunately wasn't me. My hope is to make better food choices to benefit my entire family. I am willing to shop organic if that is important. All the buzz about essential oils has peaked my curiosity (I would much rather put something on my skin then gag it down my throat with my nose plugged). I read Wintergreen oil is as good as aspirin?? So I would love to find a mentor or at least someone who has walked this path and who is willing to provide guidance. Any takers?? Thanks in advance.
47 y/o; mom to 5,7,16,18 and 20 y/o
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
unable to pass and see the remaining 2/3 of colon
4/22/15 cancer confirmed, MSS, had genetic testing-all negative!
node in lungs, cysts in liver and kidneys ??all benign we hope
5/12/15 left hemicolectomy laprascopically
T3Nb1MX

kiwiinoz

Re: Diet changes-any health nuts out there (or healthy conscious)??

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi
I don't want to be here either :D
Like most of us I looked for information on what to do to improve my health in an effort to support myself through surgery and chemo. I too ate a reasonably ok diet prior to diagnosis and exercised in a mild sort of manner, nothing too long, or hard and vigorous.
I had / have an autoimmune disease called psoriasis (sometimes it can move into Psoriatic artists so not sure if similar to your husband or not) and one of the reasons my onc said that my stage II cancer managed to be a stage IV cancer was that I was taking biological immune suppressants to suppress my immune system and stop the psoriasis. It was ok for the psoriasis but unfortunately it was also good for the cancer. Thus one of my goals was to strengthen my immune system.

I changed my diet and went entirely wholefood. I now cook everything from scratch, have not had takeaway since dx, have become predominantly a vegetarian (with fish, and occasional venison / kangaroo) simply to improve my health. I have also cut out alcohol for the most part and don't have caffeine.

I have found that I have lost weight, my vitals all improved, I had no issues with my chemo (apart from neuropathy from FOLFOX) my psoriasis has disappeared, I have not had a cold since dx, and I enjoy my diet a lot more than I did before dx.

Each to their own but I find that you can get all the nutrients you need from eating a wide range of wholefoods, which will improve your kid's health and may improve your husband's health. I did a lot of research but found this site to be fairly good www.nutritionfacts.org as it is all backed by peer challenged scientific studies so you know you are at least dealings with facts, perhaps selected facts, but at least factual rather than someones own opinion backed by nothing.

I wish you all the best in regards to finding what will work for you. The hardest thing is finding something that will suit your lifestyle, and allow you to keep doing it again and again as it is not a one off thing, but a lifestyle change.

Kiwi

PM me if you want to ask more
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

dontwanttobehere

Postby dontwanttobehere » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:58 pm

kiwiinoz, thanks for sharing. I will PM you for some more info!
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
T3Nb1MX

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:50 pm

I had a VERY healthy diet before my diagnosis, but I DO have Lynch. My diet has gone downhill since my surgery/chemo because my tastebuds seem to have changed permanently and foods that I used to like before I don't now and foods I DIDN"T like before I do now. Some things like sweets taste sweeter, but coffee needs to be stronger otherwise I can't taste it.

I thinks it's critical to eat healthy (organic) foods, especially with children, and I grow much of my food which I enjoy the most, but my attitude to food has changed and just getting food in me can be more important than eating the healthiest foods. I also have issues with fatigue which impacts my ability to cook what I want to eat vs eating what's ready to eat. Best of luck with a healthy diet and remember to enjoy, especially butter :wink:
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Annemiek

Postby Annemiek » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:34 am

I'm having the same thoughts here, what else should I be doing to try to stay ned for as long as possible. I'm torn between just following healthy eating habits, cook from scratch, not too much sugar an red meat, everything in moderation, with lots of veg and fruit ( which is how we eat anyways) and trying to start doing extra stuff, I just din't knowl
But where do I draw the line? Eating two bulbs of raw garlic? Raw brocoli shakes? i was brought up on cooked kale, and potatoes, it's like the national dish in the Netherlands. That obviously didn't help! And I don't think it taste nice in a shake anyway.
All those superfood health seeds? I am a scientist by heart, so real evidence, not anecdotal stories would ease my mind, but that is a long way away.

For now I just enjoy the cooking when I can, the jamie olivers and italian chefs, I try to keep active, exercising, however i do enjoy my homemade cakes as well.

In europe, the term wholefood is not introduced, does it mean organic?

We do have excellent cannabis here :lol:

Annemiek

43 yr mum of a girl aged 7
10/2014 coloncancer stage IIIc
11/2014 HIPEC, tumor removed + 12 positive out of 60 ln
hysterectomy, abdominal lining partly removed
Peridonitus, stoma fitted, 6 abcesses drained in abdomen
MSS, kras
3/2015 Folfox, someones playing kill Bill inside me
9/2015 finished 12 rounds,
First scan results: NED!!!!!!!!!
4/2016 ct scan: NED!!!
7/2016 ultrasound: NED
10/2016 cr scan: NED
5/2017 ultrasound: NED 2,5 yrs!
CEA 8/2017 1.8 stable.
CT scan 11/2017 NED! 3 yrs
CEA 1.9

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:49 am

Teach, I'm right there with you. I'm still struggling with appetite. I was a pretty healthy eater prior to cancer, my diet now is utterly appalling. I"ve lost all my appetite for healthy foods, I can't digest salads, the main heathy thing i eat is soup - homemade - till it's coming out my ears. I don't really eat bread, never eat breakfast and gag at the smell of meat cooking, how I"m not dead from protein deficiency I don't know, but I probably get enough from a cappuccino every day. My fridge is full of fresh and healthy food, but I live on coffee and chocolate for the most part.

I want to change, I honestly do, but I just can't get on top of my distaste for anything resembling a meal and my horribly cravings for sugar and my need for IV caffeine.

What I do believe in though - fresh, organic, grass fed. What I do eat that is heathy and what I cook for my family (but often avoid eating myself) is fresh and cooked from scratch. I don't buy food in boxes or cans.

What I don't believe in - protein powder and other manufactured rubbish masquerading as health food. Have you ever read the ingredients on a protein powder? Yuck! Full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners.

I really don't think all the supplements and stuff will help much either. I think you need the whole gamut in your diet, working together. You can't just take this, or that, from a plant and swallow it in large quantities. Its all the synergies between the nutrients in the food that is effective, not just one thing. Don't really believe the red meat phobia either, as my oncologist said to me, correlation is not causation and betcha bottom dollar people that report eating large quantities of red meat eat pretty rich, fatty and animal based diets in general. If I ever feel like eating it, I make the most of it because usually it repulses me and my body really needs the nutrients.

What I avoid - healthy foods such as chia, flax, and stuff like that in any real quantity. Its sooooooo calorie dense that I get fat even thinking about eating those things.

What I worry about is that having a lap band, I eat incredibly tiny amounts, so even though I make soups brimming with veggies and legumes, I don't eat much of it, I don't eat hardly any protein, I shudder at what all the chocolate is doing to me and I drink way too much coffee even though its decaf. And I wonder why my running is not going so well!

Sorry to the original poster, who was asking for support, not a list of what we're NOT doing. I personally think a carb/vegetarian tending diet, with meat maybe twice a week, but lots of chickpeas and lentils and veggies and such, low fat dairy, plenty of fruit and veg is what's healthiest - its what resonates for me anyway and what my medical team advised in general terms. I'd run a mile from the paleo, low carb high fat crowd. But each to their own.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:21 am

I'm willing to spend more on fresh fruits and vegetables year-around, and we depend on the garden in the summer for much of what we eat. I just find that eating healthy is its own reward. I wouldn't even consider eating a donut anymore.

Think about it this way; You can spend $10 on Friday fish fry, or spend that same $10 at the grocery store for fresh fruit, yogurt, nuts and some salad fixings.

The fat and salt and batter, plus the ketchup and tartar sauce might be satisfying going down, but it isn't going to do your body much good. The fruit/veg meal is just as satisfying in its own way, and it's going to fuel your body in a very positive way. You'll get more done and feel better doing it.

It's a choice.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

dontwanttobehere

Postby dontwanttobehere » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 am

Have loved every reply. To those with changed taste buds, when did that happen in treatment? Whole Foods is the name of a grocery store that sells healthy and organic foods here in the U. S.
T3Nb1MX

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Jachut wrote:If I ever feel like eating it, I make the most of it because usually it repulses me and my body really needs the nutrients.

What I avoid - healthy foods such as chia, flax, and stuff like that in any real quantity. Its sooooooo calorie dense that I get fat even thinking about eating those things.

What I worry about is that having a lap band, I eat incredibly tiny amounts, so even though I make soups brimming with veggies and legumes, I don't eat much of it, I don't eat hardly any protein, I shudder at what all the chocolate is doing to me and I drink way too much coffee even though its decaf. And I wonder why my running is not going so well!

Sorry to the original poster, who was asking for support, not a list of what we're NOT doing. I personally think a carb/vegetarian tending diet, with meat maybe twice a week, but lots of chickpeas and lentils and veggies and such, low fat dairy, plenty of fruit and veg is what's healthiest - its what resonates for me anyway and what my medical team advised in general terms. I'd run a mile from the paleo, low carb high fat crowd. But each to their own.

Jachut
You are interesting in the sense that you know what you should do, you know how to do it, you know the pitfalls and the positives but you don't do it. Life gets in the way, I really get that but for you it seems you feel a little hard on yourself for not eating better and are stuck in a rut.
You know me, I love running and I run a lot so I look at eating as a way to fuel my running which helps me make healthy eating decisions (apart from last week where I celebrated something a little too much, ate some beautiful food and consumed more wine that was good for me and didn't run as I was not feeling up a 5:00 am wake up due to the wine).
Your diet is what I eat and I would avoid the "Paleo" Pete Evans diet any day, although there is something to be said for a high protein diet in some ways, but I'd rather get my protein from legumes, lentils and my own spelt and rye naan with some of the curries I make.
Mrs Kiwi and I are signed up for the Run Melbourne 1/2 marathon on 27 July. You going to do that one or the medibank private one in October? Maybe having a goal like that to aim for will contribute to getting you to eat a little better for yourself, and not just for your family. Nothing wrong with lots of coffee and chocolate as Mrs Kiwi does that a lot too, but everything in moderation.
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
Port Out 26 March 2015

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:00 pm

dontwanttobehere wrote:Have loved every reply. To those with changed taste buds, when did that happen in treatment? Whole Foods is the name of a grocery store that sells healthy and organic foods here in the U. S.

I shop at whole foods in Australia. They have a deal where if you spend over $50 you get 10 points. If you get 100 points it gives you 20% off the price of the entire next shop.
I find that some of the stuff can get expensive but if you shop for what is in season you can get fruit and veggies at the same price as the supermarkets, and it is all organic. I buy a lot of staples like my cereals, nuts and dried fruit there which is also either the same price, or cheaper than the super markets.
When I get 100 points I stock up on everything that will last a few months and put it into a storage I have under my house. My point is that if you think about it, investigate it, then shopping seasonally, locally and organically does not need to be more expensive than buying conventional despite the preconception we have of organic being more expensive.
Whole Foods also list recipies on their web site.
For cooking I also google recipes for ideas, substitute ingredients to make it more healthy and make that part of my core cooking for a few months until the season changes and I get sick of it
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
Port Out 26 March 2015

elise

Postby elise » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:07 pm

I work very closely with a natural nutritionist and follow a strict anti-inflammatory diet. Feel free to PM me if you want details. I can't say I adore it BUT I can say it keeps my arthritis under control and hopefully that's a hint that all inflammation is under control!
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 pm

I am not a health nut, though my wife and I have always kept and eye on the types of stuff we eat especially with regards to our meats. We put out gardens, and the beef, pork, and lately lamb we eat is raised by people we know, and purchase directly from. The only thing meat wise we really buy is chicken because we haven't found someone that raises meat chickens we can buy and have processed. I don't really want to pluck and clean 20 to 30 birds. I do enough of that when I hunt Grouse, Pheasant, woodcock and Quail. We also add venison, sometimes as well,as moose, or elk if any friends have extra they share. Also an occasional rabbit might end up in the pot. We also get our eggs from a friend of ours.

As far as vegetables I eat just about everything, though I am not partial to most legumes. I don't grow everything myself, and I don't buy organic, as it's too expensive usually. I prefer healthy very freshly grown, locally sustainable but not always organic. We tried a farm share last year but for the two of use it was way too much produce. We couldn't possibly use it all, we got a box full of fresh produce every week from the local farm.

It's not always easy to cook from scratch all the time so some processed meals end up on the table unfortunately which contain likely too much salt. Generally we established a sort of Mediterranean diet. I am of Italian decent, so pasta, tomatoes, olive oil, salads, cheeses. We have cut back on Beef some going instead to lamb which I warn is much more expensive if you buy it in the store, or even by the pound when you buy it on the hoof so to speak. But one thing is we eat rare, to medium rare, and lean. It's the overcooking I think is bad for you. We always try and have a pretty balanced meal overall. Personally I like lots of tomatoes, home grown usually. I cook down my own sauce and freeze it. We also eat plenty of greens. We also try and eat plenty of fruits, mostly Apples which can keep well, strawberries, and cherries when in season. We also eat a lot of nuts like cashews, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, and peanuts. They are very healthy.

We also use to eat more fish as well, but since my wife has had FOLFOX she hasn't found it appeals much any more unless it's shrimp.

So despite 30 years on this sort of diet, and a lifelong runner besides, my wife ends up with colon cancer. Go figure!

Here is one of my favorite things to cook, take two to three links of good Italian sausage I prefer hot, and remove the casing. Chunk these up into small bite size pieces and cook them with onions, and bell pepper, with crushed red pepper flake to taste, I usually also add a little olive oil to coat the onion and bell pepper. I usually use one medium bell pepper and two medium sized onions. You can add minced garlic to taste, you like it add more. I use one to two cloves. Next add a can of stewed tomatoes, and a small can of tomato sauce, add about a table spoon of Lea and Perrine Worcestershire sause. Let this cook down an thicken some, and while this is going on cook up about two to three cups of bowtie pasta. Serve the Sausage, onion, tomato and pepper sauce on top of the bow tie pasta. I usually also make garlic bread to go with it and serve with a mixed green salad, containing cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, and chopped nuts of some sort, maybe some dried cranberries if I have some.

Being a chemist I like to experiment some and make stuff up as I go along. BTW forget the mint jelly with lamb. Instead use mint flakes or fresh from the garden. It's much better.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

lpas

Postby lpas » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Mmmm--you're making me hungry, GrouseMan!
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:
Jachut wrote:If I ever feel like eating it, I make the most of it because usually it repulses me and my body really needs the nutrients.

Jachut
You are interesting in the sense that you know what you should do, you know how to do it, you know the pitfalls and the positives but you don't do it. Life gets in the way, I really get that but for you it seems you feel a little hard on yourself for not eating better and are stuck in a rut.
You know me, I love running and I run a lot so I look at eating as a way to fuel my running which helps me make healthy eating decisions

Maybe having a goal like that to aim for will contribute to getting you to eat a little better for yourself, and not just for your family. Nothing wrong with lots of coffee and chocolate as Mrs Kiwi does that a lot too, but everything in moderation.

Setting goals is great, but if you don't have the energy for follow-through, it doesn't much matter. I used to run and I used to live to eat, now I eat to live and can't run and work, I'm too tired. I need to earn a living and if that means I don't eat as well as I'd like to so I can walk my dogs and manage my life - that's what I have to do. Many of us are making choices we don't like but we also didn't like getting cancer and dealing with the fallout creates many unanticipated side effects and we do the best we can with what we've got.
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:48 am

I am doing Run Melbourne Kiwi - the 10k though. I've had real trouble with my hip over the past two years, real imbalances in muscles and problems with my gait which I have to work through. I'm also coming back from chronic fatigue which was pretty much solved by the integrative physician I've been seeing sorting out my bowel flora. So I'm really really really thrilled to be at least running regularly again (3 times a week which I stick to strictly - no more - which is so hard for one who loves running :D ) and I did 7.5k last night and am not limping today which is brilliant news!

Teach, you're right. Its a choice, but not necessarily a deliberate one. I don't think people get the taste changes that happen. I can cook a perfectly good meal but its like being pregnant. You want it, you organise it but before its cooked, you're over it. Even the smell of it makes you sick. You look at it and just. can't. eat. it. But you can drink another cup of coffee. I don't know what the f*ck is going on, maybe its an eating disorder? Getting so thin during chemo and then regaining weight has done my head in. I'm kind of a afraid to eat a whole meal at a time but don't mind picking and nibbling - I would never ever eat pizza or a burger, too big, too filling, just too something. I pore over healthy recipes but then don't eat them when I make them. The smell will make me feel ill. I'll crave something badly one day and then can't touch it the next. This crept up on me slowly AFTER chemo, not during.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”