Hi new here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rockcreek
Facebook Username: rockcreek

Hi new here

Postby rockcreek » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 pm

I have a male friend with colon cancer. He has had the surgery a few months ago. Still has trouble eating and sleeping. He just started therapy on Eloxatin. They put the first dose in his arm. Now he has a bad bruise there and his vein is hard he said and cannot be used anymore. He had a port put in last week. He is wondering what that will do to his body. He is going to ask his Dr. but I thought a first hand account would be better. He has been having problems with his bag too. It seems to leak a lot. This is the 3rd or 4th one he has tried. He is not married and trying to handle this himself. Any advice. Thanks

jhocno197

Re: Hi new here

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi.
My husband was very sore for a while after he had his port installed.

This link has helpful ostomy advice: http://www.fittleworth.net/wpsystem/wp- ... oblems.pdf .

I wish your friend well.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:59 pm

The port will make accessing his veins much easier during chemo and will give his veins in his arms a break. I resisted getting a port at first and ended up so thankful that I changed my mind.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Teddi
Facebook Username: teddimcfarland

Postby Teddi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:47 pm

First off, welcome, and it's great that you are supporting your friend. He should look into a referral to a wound care nurse or ostomy nurse. The wound care nurse was able to set me up with the appropriate system for my body's topography. No more leaks! Even with an illeostomy I was able to go 3 days with no burn. Totally worth the time and expense.

I had a love/hate with my port. Loved not having IVs, hated that they placed the first one on a nerve, and the second one wasn't much better. But, it got me through chemo and I'm grateful for that.

Teddi
47 at diagnosis
Colonoscopy, biopsy, CT, PET 6/14
Rectal cancer (tentatively) Stage III-b, MSS
Xeloda and radiation 25x finished 8/14
FOLFOX 5 cycles
Surgery 1/23/14 ~ T1N0MX ~ temp illeostomy
FOLFOX 3 cycles = total of 8
Illeostomy reversal 4/8/15
Clean scans x2, clear colonoscopy 9/15

rockcreek

Postby rockcreek » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:37 am

Thanks for the replies. You all have suffered so much. It's good you have a place you can support each other and rant if you wish.

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 am

I've had my port for 7.5 years. Haven't gone more than a year without a recurrence so I never had it taken out. Doesn't bother me unless i bump it hard. The ostomy is a difficult bugger to manage. If you provide a little more info about the specifics of his problem with the bag, then we can provide more support. For example, is his stoma a "innie" or "outie". Or, is he developing a rash around the stoma that wont let the adhesive stick because the skin is broken down and weepy. Lots of variables. Change of ostomy brand could help as well.

Best,
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

rockcreek

Postby rockcreek » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:28 am

I am not sure what you mean inny or outy. It is outside the body. Had a lot of bleeding there for a long time. That seems to be better. It leaks. He is sitting in church one minute the next time you look he's gone. It's always, he was leaking. He worries about it at night leaking or I guess running over. He does not get much sleep.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:40 am

rockcreek wrote:I am not sure what you mean inny or outy. It is outside the body. Had a lot of bleeding there for a long time. That seems to be better. It leaks. He is sitting in church one minute the next time you look he's gone. It's always, he was leaking. He worries about it at night leaking or I guess running over. He does not get much sleep.

I have a permanent colostomy, best thing for me. Regarding inny or outy is the surface level of the actual stoma. Some people's stoma is flush with the surrounding skin. Some people stoma stick out a bit beyond the surrounding skin. And some people's stoma is flatter than the surrounding skin so that the stoma is curved inward. This can create a problem sometimes as far as keeping the wafer on next to the skin.

What type of paste of barrier ring does he use around the stoma? If he is not using anything like that, that could be the problem. If he is using a paste, may want to consider using a barrier ring. I recommend Hollister Adapt barrier ring. Ref # 7805.

Not sure what your mean by "running over". He should change or empty is bag when it is a 1/3 to 1/2 full. Don't wait for it to completely fill up.

Oh yes, welcome and thank you for being there for your friend.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Good advice from Lee. Convex wafer could be useful if he has an "innie "stoma to help raise it up a little bit. Also "burp" the gas out of the ostomy bag if it gets too puffy with air because even if the bag is not full of waste, the built up gas can cause it to leak if it gets pushed on.... It will pop the seal. Example would be bending over and compressing the bag. FYI try not to burp the bag in public because it reaks!
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

korbinb

Postby korbinb » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:11 pm

My port has been an absolute lifesaver for receiving chemo! They placed it 4-1/2 years ago during my first surgery and I have zero regrets about getting it. I used the lidocaine cream to numb the area for the first 3 months until one day I forgot to apply it and had the pleasant discovery that the poke didn't hurt any more than it did with the cream applied...Haven't had to use the cream since. :)

If your friend does use the cream, try covering it with Press N Seal cling wrap while traveling to the clinic...works wonders on minimizing the mess.

Good luck to your friend!
Kicking it with a semi-colon since 2011.
Original DX was stage 4 w/liver mets, treated with 2 surgical resections and Folfox+Avastin. Recurrence has since been in my lungs, brain, liver (again), spleen, pancreas and spine (sacrum/S5). Treatments have since included Xeloda, RFA to my left lung, Panitumumab, brain surgery, radiation and a good sense of humor. Next up is Folfiri.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:12 pm

I love my port! Have had it 6 months now and no issues. Was a little sensitive at first but that's to be expected, I had mine put in the day before my first chemo. I have bad veins and to be honest, I always forget it's even there! But am soooo glad I have it. Best wishes

rockcreek

Postby rockcreek » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 am

Great information. Thanks all. I will be calling him today and discuss these solutions.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”