What now?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tow joe

What now?

Postby tow joe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:22 am

I have successfully completed the fulfox 6 month routine. Everthing is going well, but I want to know when I'll get my strength back. How long does it take? Please advise

Joe in Detroit

Mona6518

Postby Mona6518 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 am

Hi Joe,
I'm just finishing up my last cycle so I don't have an 'experienced' answer for you...

But when I spoke to my doc about the same concerns, she let me know that it could take awhile (a few months out to a year or more). Just like we all react to chemo differently, we all recover differently.

A gentleman I work with is also a survivor. From what he told me, he felt like many days he was just spinning his wheels and not going anywhere on the recovery road. And then one day he looked back and realized he was making headway (just slowly). Eventually, the recovery speeded up and he finally felt back to his previous level of strength, energy, etc.

Hope this helps.
Monkey

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:21 am

Welcome to the Colon Club Tow Joe!

I was dx September 2003 stage IV and was not expected to live to December 2003. Joe, I am alive and without evidence of disease.

I can appreciate your question "how long...?" Joe, I have said this many times before...all of our journeys are unique. So I would be lying to you if I told you that there was a "one size fits all..." to your question. What I can say is congratulations on finishing chemotherapy and kicking a little cancer A#$~Survivor you are!

You have graduated from chemo and sounds like you are ready to get your post graduate party started. Go jump from cloud 9 to 10, 11, do back handsprings or what ever you wish to celebrate and release your excitement. I assure you the energy will be there for the moment.

Do update the colon club on your journey! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

You Rock!

Holly

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Holly, Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your response to Joe's post. I know your answer was for him, but it did me a lot of good too. I'm halfway through my Folfox and still plugging away at it.

Joe, all I can say is I'm SOOO happy for you. I don't know when you'll be back to your normal self again, but you're still here, and that's a good start. Any day above ground is a good day.

ASTEPHENS33

My Experience

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:49 pm

My oncologist said in about 2 months, I'd feel about 70% recovered and in 6 months, 90%+ recovered. Its been 2 months since my last treatment and I do overall feel better. I still have moments of getting that "extreme fatigue" feeling and my feet are still not healed.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:00 am

Magnolia,

You are welcome. Remember all things are truly possible!

Holly

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:31 am

I suppose it will all depend on your body. Each person is different, but I think the post is right in that it takes about 2 months before you start feeling noticably different. I felt MUCH better after 2 months. I could taste food again, not so tired, had energy back. It has been one year now since off the Chemo and I feel pretty much 100% except for the neuropathy. Food tasted so good that I ate about everything in site for awhile. I gained back about 25 pounds of the 30 that I lost during Chemo!! I am back to taking off the weight now and feel much better. Walking more now and doing the weight watchers thing. I have about 15 pounds off and I think that helps your body as well to get back to normal. Congratulations on finishing your Chemo up!!!!! Like Holly said, go jump on a few clouds, do a dance, go out and celebrate!!! Just know that you WILL start feeling normal again and soon!!!! Keep us all posted here as to how you are doing.

Hang in there.....PEG

tow joe

Postby tow joe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 am

Thanks to everyone who replied...

I have been reading the forums since I was diagnosed in December. I have avoided posting because I seem to have an easier time with my chemo than most. I thank God that my side effects were minimal, although they were there. Nothing I couldn't deal with on my own. Of course, I had all of you to read about, so I know I was never alone. Everything is going well to date. Although I am tired ALL of the time, I am able to pretty much function normally.

This year has been a true test to me, and I feel I passed with flying colors. I hope to post NED messages in the future, but I am not putting the cart before the horse. One step at a time.

Kicking Cancers A** in Detroit

Tow Joe

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:57 pm

Peg, you lost 30lbs? I've gained 10. I'm eating like a shark. Everything smells like turpentine, but tastes fine. My appetites a little off for a day or two after my treatment, then full on for about a week. Then normal until the next infusion. Anyone else gaining weight?

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 am

Yes I sure did lose 30 pounds! Hot food was the worst for me. Beef tasted like crap. About the only things I could really taste that tasted half way good was cold cereal, eggs with toast and pizza. LOL The smells didn't bother me it all smelled good but just tasted yucky. It didn't take long after off the Chemo to start tasting again and BOY did I pig out!! LOL Oh and homemade chicken and noodles tasted great to me too...but everything had to be almost room temp. to eat it.

Hugssssssssss Peg

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:55 pm

Hugssssss back to you, Peg.

And keep kicking A--, Joe!

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:47 pm

I am four months done with treatment and next month will be a year from my ca surgery. I am feeling great and managed to exercise throughout my treatment. I think that helped to combat fatigue. To celebrate my recovery and cancer-free life - I spent a week hiking Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in mid-June and will do a trail marathon in mid-September. Although training has been difficult in this hot, humid weather, I know I can do it cuz I survived cancer! :P

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:53 am

Congrats to you, Luv! Yaaayyyy!!!!!

becky

what now

Postby becky » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Hang in there!!!

Each day does get better. I know that sounds so much like a hallmark card. But actually it is true. One small piece of advice. If you feel up to something "do it!!" Don't let others hold you back. Your know your body.
The best medicine for me was getting out and feeling normal again, watching baseball, going to the beach and eating junk!!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”