Why I stopped posting

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pete43lost_at_sea

Re: Why I stopped posting

Postby pete43lost_at_sea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:14 pm

you are a hero my friend.
Every breathe post stage4 success precious beyond belief.
I was also flammed and really can relate.
I keep on finding money for treatment, but recently lived my car for 3 weeks.

just ignore the flammers, and enjoy this life.

love,
pete

wifeandmom

Postby wifeandmom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:31 pm

Thank you. I so wanted to post something along those lines.

Life, even at its best, has challenges. We can be beyond grateful to be alive, yet still have problems that are hard. Could things be worse? Almost always, the answer is "yes." Still doesn't make the bad things suck any less.

I am grateful to you for your post. I wish you well.
Dx 4/09
Rectal CA T3 N0 M0
Neo-adj. rad/Xelox
Surgery 8/25/09 LAR, temp ileo
Reversal 10/09
Fistula
Surgery 12/21/09 temp ileo
ICU 12/30/09
8 rounds Xelox
Surgery 9/9/10 fix fistula, redo anastomosis
Reversal surgery 12/23/10
Hernia surgery 5/19/11
2018 Dx with radiation-induced Lumbosacral Plexopathy
ATM gene mutation
3/2019 Dx uterine carcinosarcoma Stage 1a

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:38 am

Thank you for your post this may sound weird but I can see where you're coming from. I was just recently diagnosed and December 2014 had four treatments of chemo and surgery a month and a half ago which removed a foot of my colon and 20 percent of my liver I will be starting chemo again next week and a little scared because they want to switch from oxaliplatin to irinotecan but anyway I know some may find this weird but I have actually been happier since being diagnosed then I was prior but I think it's because I had been feeling so shitty for so many years that it was more of a relief knowing that I was and have been sick which I knew but trying to tell other people and not knowing what was causing my problem made me feel like people looked at me like I was crazy and now of course everyone has been wonderful to me which i feel some is out of guilt who didnt believe and of course I'm looking forward to hopefully ending all this crap but at the same time I can see being in your situation and that is scary too. I hope what I'm saying is making some sense I guess what I'm just really trying to say is that I can see where you are coming from and I wish you the best.

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:38 am

scottyg wrote:He said that while he never wants to see combat again he missed that feeling of being so very alive. Life goes on.
There was a person a couple of years ago that spoke of this. He was flamed badly by some people that I respect. He was accused of being ungrateful, of being insulting to
those still in active treatment. I realized then that what I was / am going thru was not part of the accepted dialog around here.

When you're going through treatment you have a structure and schedule you have to follow. When it's all over it can be jarring and you can't expect it to be all puppies and rainbows after that. I would never flame someone for saying that. I get what they're saying.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

lilacbreastedroller

Postby lilacbreastedroller » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 am

I'm with you on the stopping posting. I don't understand why healthy people, or caregivers whose partners have died, still post here!! And on other cancer boards. I can see them posting for a few months, maybe to sort out their grief (caregivers) or people who are NED with scanxiety and want to express it to people who understand, but after being NED for several years. Go! Walk out that door! Dont' come back to bother me (that's a song - from I will survive.) If I'm ever NED (not likely), I am NOT hanging around. I want to reclaim my life, or new life as you've described - not quite the old one but alive and not sick all the time.

I've seen people who've been NED for five years post once a day on these boards. Another woman was stage II and NED for ten years and posted a lot. Get a life! Seriously. Why do they not want to join the "land of the living" as I call it? And they aren't particularly helpful on the boards because their cancer experience is outdated. They haven't taken the new chemos, they aren't up-to-date on the new ablation techniques. Ditto with the caregivers. Go! Your husband's been dead for two years, MOVE ON!!! I've seen some former caregivers who live on these boards still. This not healthy, I don't think. Same problem with outdated info.

Sure, those of you who become NED maybe might want to check in once a year. Another board, CSN, does the semi-colon roll call when long-term survivors check in around Christmastime. That is inspirational because people like you, who have survived Stage IV, tell their stories and say "I'm Still Standing" and give the rest of us hope. That is amazing.

but to stay on these boards continuously, as a well person, and be part of a community of people with cancer, when you don't have cancer anymore (yay!) - why dwell in the past, particularly in a painful part of your past you'd rather not dwell on?

So congrats on your NED status, and I totally understand why you don't want to post anymore. Get on with your life! As you said, it's a different life, but it is yours! You've earned it. Caregivers with dead husbands or wives - move on too. Focus your energies on something other than cancer as it no longer rules you.

Karin
dx 6/1/12@45yo
RT, 4 liv, 5 lung
7/12 FOLFOX
2/13 Xeloda 4k mg/d
7/13 DC VAX,1k mg/d metro Xel
11/13 Erbi, Irino
6/14 clinical trial lirilumab, nivolumab
9/14 Stivarga
1/15 clinical trial immunotherapy (young TILs)
RT, mets to liv, lung, adrenal, lns

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 am

lilacbreastedroller wrote:I'm with you on the stopping posting. I don't understand why healthy people, or caregivers whose partners have died, still post here!! And on other cancer boards. I can see them posting for a few months, maybe to sort out their grief (caregivers) or people who are NED with scanxiety and want to express it to people who understand, but after being NED for several years. Go! Walk out that door! Dont' come back to bother me (that's a song - from I will survive.) If I'm ever NED (not likely), I am NOT hanging around. I want to reclaim my life, or new life as you've described - not quite the old one but alive and not sick all the time.

I've seen people who've been NED for five years post once a day on these boards. Another woman was stage II and NED for ten years and posted a lot. Get a life! Seriously. Why do they not want to join the "land of the living" as I call it? And they aren't particularly helpful on the boards because their cancer experience is outdated. They haven't taken the new chemos, they aren't up-to-date on the new ablation techniques. Ditto with the caregivers. Go! Your husband's been dead for two years, MOVE ON!!! I've seen some former caregivers who live on these boards still. This not healthy, I don't think. Same problem with outdated info.

Sure, those of you who become NED maybe might want to check in once a year. Another board, CSN, does the semi-colon roll call when long-term survivors check in around Christmastime. That is inspirational because people like you, who have survived Stage IV, tell their stories and say "I'm Still Standing" and give the rest of us hope. That is amazing.

but to stay on these boards continuously, as a well person, and be part of a community of people with cancer, when you don't have cancer anymore (yay!) - why dwell in the past, particularly in a painful part of your past you'd rather not dwell on?

So congrats on your NED status, and I totally understand why you don't want to post anymore. Get on with your life! As you said, it's a different life, but it is yours! You've earned it. Caregivers with dead husbands or wives - move on too. Focus your energies on something other than cancer as it no longer rules you.

Karin

Wow. News flash but no one appointed you moderator. I'm NED and I am going to keep posting. And guess what? I do have a life. I have a great one. Even if what you say is true about my treatment being outdated, the emotions that come along with a cancer diagnosis aren't something unique to people who have been recently diagnosed. I've had multiple people thank me for the contributions I've made, most of them when I was NED I might add.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:31 am

lilacbreastedroller wrote:I'm with you on the stopping posting. I don't understand why healthy people, or caregivers whose partners have died, still post here!! And on other cancer boards. I can see them posting for a few months, maybe to sort out their grief (caregivers) or people who are NED with scanxiety and want to express it to people who understand, but after being NED for several years. Go! Walk out that door! Dont' come back to bother me (that's a song - from I will survive.) If I'm ever NED (not likely), I am NOT hanging around. I want to reclaim my life, or new life as you've described - not quite the old one but alive and not sick all the time.

Karin

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess. That doesn't give us the right to bludgeon others with it.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Regan

Postby Regan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 am

Karin

wow. . .I had to read this twice to make sure I read it correctly. Ditto Brownbagger.
IMO. . . I cherish the people who come back. . . they have experience to share with those who just are starting the journey and still in the muck, OMG. . . .Thank you to all who stick around for people like me who appreciate your kindness.
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
1/15 local recur, liver, lung, aortocaval region of retroperitoneum, anterior wall of distal abdominal aorta
2/15 Irinotecan
1/16 Lonsurf (fail--just zapped. Strength)
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

kathybrj

Postby kathybrj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:11 am

Sometimes people make bonds for life on boards like this. I wouldn't want to see that taken away from people that are NED and are still concerned with those folks that helped them through a dark time and still come here to post. Just my opinion.
Blaise (DH) dx 3/31/14 (age 49)
Stage IIIb Rectal - 4 lymphs involved
Xeloda and Rad 5/5/2014
Surgery 7/29/14 Illeostomy Placed
FolFox 9/11/2014 x 9 treatments
Reversal 1/27/15
NED 9/29/2015
Kathy-Caregiver

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:26 am

Karin

Someone once told me it was impolite to get up and leave someone's house after just finishing dinner. I think i'll stick around for dessert and a cup of coffee to see if i can help anyone else out on this Board who appreciates my antiquated advice/input. :D To each their own.

Best to all,
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

aja1121

Postby aja1121 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 am

I suspect that Karin is just posting from HER perspective, which includes some frustration with where she's at... as she said, "If I'm ever NED (not likely), I am NOT hanging around." I can see both sides of the argument. I can't possibly explain how helpful this board has been to me as a caregiver, but there are also times that I feel like my emotional investment is not healthy. I don't know Karin, but am guessing she didn't mean to offend anyone. We all have days when we need to vent and sometimes that comes out in our posts. A grain of salt when reading would probably benefit all of us.
05/23/14 DH dx Stage 3B rectal ca (age 41)
6/2014 chemorad | 10/2014 LAR, all nodes clean
FOLFOX x 10 | VATS/lung met | ileo reversal
09/15 local recurrence
10/15 colostomy
11/15 FOLFIRI x 4, major growth
02/16 tumor debulked
Stable ten months on Xeloda/Avastin
Growth on clinical trials NCT02024607 (BBI608 + FOLFIRI), NCT02817633 (anti-PD-1 + anti-TIM-3), NCT03175224 (c-Met inhibitor)
09/27/2018 started hospice
02/07/19 died

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 am

Karin,
First of all, I am not even going to dignify your response by copying it because honestly, it is QUITE offensive to me. You see, while I may not be the stage II woman you are talking about....I'm pretty damn close to it. In just a few short weeks, I will be coming up on 9 years since I was diagnosed and you know what? I come here EACH and EVERYDAY...MULTIPLE times a day. Furthermore, Karin, I am a MODERATOR. By your standards, I shouldn't be on the board, right?

Let me give you a piece of information my dear. I don't care whether or not someone is a stage I, II, III or IV, cancer affects us all...from day one right through until the day we DIE. Are you telling me that because I was 'only' a stage II, I still don't have issues, still don't have residual effects from the treatments or from the anxiety of cancer itself? How the heck would YOU know what people, like me, who have been NED for over 5 years are feeling? I still get nervous when awaiting the results of my CEA tests. I still freak out if I get diarrhea for more than a few days or if I feel as though I have too much gas or my intestines are gurgling too much. And you know what, Karin, gross as this may be, I still turn around everytime I have a bowel movement and verify that my stools are 'normal' in color and/or size. That is how I stay in what you call the 'land of the living'. You see, Karin, cancer CHANGES us....whether you believe it or not. Furthermore, I DO live....I don't dwell here, I don't have my mind on cancer each and every minute of everyday, but yeah.....I DO think about cancer and the impact it has had on my life and more importantly, the potential impact it may have on my children.

Who the heck are you to tell someone like me that I don't have anything to offer someone else? Have you been through pelvic radiation and do you know about the problems associated with it? Nope...just went and checked your signature and you've never had it. You see, I'm rather irate right now because, according to you, I shouldn't give people advice, particularly the females who might be going through the same treatments. Sure, radiation has changed somewhat since I had my treatments almost 9 years ago, but you know what Karin...the side effects haven't. I worked with my radiation department to come up with guidelines to help people get through those treatments because it is something that I am passionate about....particularly for the females whose bodies can be really devastated by those rad treatments. I'm pretty darn proud of that and over the years, on THIS BOARD, I have become known to be the 'expert' on that subject. Oh, but by your standards I should just stop because I had radiation treatments nine years ago and things have changed. Let's address something else Karin....5FU - the standard treatment, the workhorse of the chemo protocols has been around for over FIFTY--yep that's right FIFTY years.....certainly not a 'new drug'. FYI - Xeloda has also been around for quite some time in this country....heck, my onc Rxd it for me way back in the old times....let's see 8-9 years ago. Another FYI....in that same 'era', oxaliplatin and Avastin were also in use....I know, because, although I had a severe reaction to oxi and only had it once, I did take it. Nope, I didn't take Avastin but it was available and man, as a scared patient, I PUSHED my onc for it. So, are these 'new' treatments aren't necessarily 'new'....they aren't outdated. Sure, some treatments are new, cutting edge, etc. and I don't have any experience in it which is why I wouldn't make any comment about them BUT....that doesn't mean that I can't be here to offer moral support to someone going through them.

I've made a lot of close friends on this board, Karin, and I've watched a few of them pass away. I physically met both Terry and Belle....we had vacations together....we talked on the phone at least a few times a week. I was there, both in private and on this board when they needed to cry or vent and regardless of what you think, part of the reason I am here is out of respect and memory for those who valiantly fought and succumbed to this disease....for Terry, Belle, Gaelen, Ashlee, Justsing, Brady.....they were inspirational and their stories/memories still deserve to be told because whether you like it and/or believe it, their experiences help others on this board. Just the other day, I was reading Richard's post about his scan results and what Dr. K was planning on doing next. You're right...I have nada experience with anything that he is going through BUT....(and old timers, correct me if I am wrong on this) but I couldn't help but think that Pat (Gaelen) was one of Dr. K's first patients (at least on this board) who had experience with the HAI pump with Dr. K....did you ever think that because of someone like Pat, Dr K has tweaked and modified her protocol...that maybe, just maybe, people like Pat have been and still could be of invaluable help? You see, Karin, had Pat still been alive, she would have been reassuring Richard...comforting him and telling him that while he may not have gotten 100% of the results that he wanted, that the pump did a terrific job for her and she would have been reassuring him to just take everything one step at a time.

You're so wrong Karin about what it is like to live in the 'land of the living'. Survivors still have problems....we still think about cancer...sure not every minute of everday but it is an everlasting presence in our lives. Our lives have changed....our bodies as well....we can't necessarily eat the same foods as we did before....we may have issues with more diarrhea....we may have to take an Immodium everyday....etc. Oh, the list goes on which is why the ACS is doing studies to focus on survivors and their problems/issues because NO KARIN, cancer doesn't just exit our lives. Sure, I get it Karin that these things seem insignificant to you, but don't judge other people and how they adjust and/or react. You are entitled to your own opinion Karin but so is everyone else...but don't be surprised that your opinion isn't shared on this board by most of the members.....especially those who have lost someone close to them. Don't tell them when and how they should move on and please, don't tell someone who has lost the love of their life, the husband/wife...the mother/father of their children....don't tell the grieving mom/dad either that they should just 'move on' and that cancer doesn't rule their life anymore.

So, as one of those survivors, I am incensed and offended by your comments but as I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't happen to agree with it and find it incredulous that while I can't understand what it is like to be in your shoes, you somehow think that you know what it is like to be in MY shoes.

Jaynee

PS....before I could post, I just read the prior posts. Thank you Kathy...because yes, I have "BONDS" with people on this board...both who are still with us and those that are not. I grieve for Terry and Belle...I will forever miss them and believe it or not Karin, I considered Terry one of my best friends even though we had only physically met less than half a dozen times. I have tears in my eyes as I type this because your comments are so hurtful to me and to the memory of those that I called my close and dear friends.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

KWT

Postby KWT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 am

Let's not chase Karin off now for having a different opinion. Just lock the thread and move on. That could be our "new normal"

lilacbreastedroller

Postby lilacbreastedroller » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:38 am

allright Horizon, nobody appointed you moderator either! So how long have you been NED? How often do you check the boards and how often do you post? What sort of advice do you provide to people? Basically, how much time do you put into this board and what do you get out of it? Do you have an end date as to when you want to stop posting on cancer boards, and stop having cancer be a part of your life? I'm not being a smart*ss - I'm really curious as to why NED folks stick around.

kathybrj: true re: bonds. We do make friends/bonds on the boards; that I understand. That's probably a factor as to why some people stay.

brownbagger: yeah but it might be unhealthy for some people to linger on here, and if nobody ever says anything, many of us are creatures of habit and would stay, even if it weren't in our best interests... These boards are a community, but also can become like an addiction. We patients tell our life stories here sometimes, and the sagas of our struggles are almost like a reality show.

- Karin
dx 6/1/12@45yo
RT, 4 liv, 5 lung
7/12 FOLFOX
2/13 Xeloda 4k mg/d
7/13 DC VAX,1k mg/d metro Xel
11/13 Erbi, Irino
6/14 clinical trial lirilumab, nivolumab
9/14 Stivarga
1/15 clinical trial immunotherapy (young TILs)
RT, mets to liv, lung, adrenal, lns

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:52 am

....and another thing, welcome back Scotty G. For however long it is! Still playing in the band?

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo