Bull in a china shop; why I have a hard time with "cancer hugs" at work

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ktwmn

Bull in a china shop; why I have a hard time with "cancer hugs" at work

Postby ktwmn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Okay, so at work today someone I don't know well gives me a hug. I was in the assistant director's office and she just walks in (which she does all the time, because he is very attached to her). She had done so the last time I saw her, after she found out about my recurrence. At that time I accepted it. This time I couldn't help myself, I said, "No....no more cancer hugs! Just treat me like normal." Well, this person was very upset with me and stormed out saying that she won't even say hello anymore. Then I get an email from the assistant director telling me that this employee was so upset because of what I said that she left for the day.

I was opposed to having an announcement given to the whole workplace about "my cancer" to begin with (and later found out that other employees who had shoulder surgery, facelifts, etc. did not have to tell anyone but their boss). I was forced into it and although the people I see day to day are not solicitous like that, when someone else is it just reminds me of cancer. I am known for my directness and there is only so much obsequiousness I can stand. I end up having to apologize to these work people for my terrible personality.

I understand that people who have never gone through this don't know what to say, etc. and I should be more understanding of them and the awkwardness they feel. But I go to work for...work. Sometimes I am caught off guard and don't have a nice socially acceptable response. Sorry for my rant, it's just one of the many gifts this terrible disease keeps giving!
Dx 7/11, Stage IIIc CC
12 txs Folfox 8/2011-2/2012
MSS, KRAS-mut G12D
NED until 3/2015, mets to liver and peritoneum
April-December 2015: 15 txs folfiri+avastin
Liver mets resolved; pelvic met remains
January-May 2016: folfox+avastin; allergic rxn to oxi
June-August 2016: 5FU+avastin
October 2016: looking into immuno trial
January 2017: maintenance chemo xeloda + avastin

dontwanttobehere

Re: Bull in a china shop; why I have a hard time with "cancer hugs" at work

Postby dontwanttobehere » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:33 pm

While I am still new to this game my jaw dropped when you described what happened. That day I told my co-workers (small office) they all teared up and looked so sad. Someone asked when we got up if they could give me a hug and I replied with a firm "NO, I'm not going to die, geesh". I hear many people share that others simply don't know what to say or do and I get that. But in your case for this co-worker to be so upset she had to leave work...she must have some type of complex. I think you said it well~you go to work to work and that type of behavior reminds you of the cancer. Could you or your boss relay that message to her or anyone else who needs to hear it? Hope the rest of your day got better!!
47 y/o; mom to 5,7,16,18 and 20 y/o
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
unable to pass and see the remaining 2/3 of colon
4/22/15 cancer confirmed, MSS, had genetic testing-all negative!
node in lungs, cysts in liver and kidneys ??all benign we hope
5/12/15 left hemicolectomy laprascopically
T3Nb1MX

aja1121

Postby aja1121 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:49 pm

WOW. I would just like to say that this person sounds like a giant pain in the ass. If she is soooo concerned about your cancer diagnosis, perhaps she could try to fulfill your wishes by treating you professionally in the workplace. I am sorry that you have to put up with such nonsense.
05/23/14 DH dx Stage 3B rectal ca (age 41)
6/2014 chemorad | 10/2014 LAR, all nodes clean
FOLFOX x 10 | VATS/lung met | ileo reversal
09/15 local recurrence
10/15 colostomy
11/15 FOLFIRI x 4, major growth
02/16 tumor debulked
Stable ten months on Xeloda/Avastin
Growth on clinical trials NCT02024607 (BBI608 + FOLFIRI), NCT02817633 (anti-PD-1 + anti-TIM-3), NCT03175224 (c-Met inhibitor)
09/27/2018 started hospice
02/07/19 died

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:03 pm

KT,

(Love your avatar, BTW). I worked in large companies (GE, Kodak in its prime) and then was an "executive" at four Silicon Valley companies. My executive positions were in IT management, but I also had some HR management experience as well (in CA). No one should ever walk in and give a hug in a professional setting unsolicited; asking first is the only acceptable way that this could or should happen. I get the idea that you go to work to feel and be "normal". If the person had to go home for the day, so be it. Not having them say "hello" to you might be a blessing. Keep an eye on any future reviews, however, to make sure that someone doesn't try to bring it up. A discussion with HR if there is someone there you are comfortable talking with might be a good idea just to try and avoid any of these situations in the future.

I know that there are awkward situations for folks socially where they may say or do the wrong thing, but at work. Pleeeeese. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

Kiwi Debz
Facebook Username: Deb Goldby

Postby Kiwi Debz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Unbelievable, sounds like he/she is attention seeking .... I will give a hug to the Cancer patient and look good, .... Ha, good on you for chopping their legs out from under them.
Wow some people ....

I have a pretty good rule with my colleagues, told them straight up I don't want any pity party and if they have to say something then take the lead from my son .... Just say, it sucks! So now when they ask how it goes and I tell them they just say, man that sucks!

Works for them and works fine for me as it does ..... just SUCKS!

Deb
6/14 DX mCrc stage 4
7/14 R. hemicolectomy; 4/17 LN; liver res. peri met; repair to illiac artery
8/14 FOLFOX
10/14 PET recurrence LN; liver ? Peri met Continue FOLFOX
12/14 PET: stable .Liver only! FOLFOX
02/15 Liver resection. NED
03/15 foundation One testing - BRAF mutant
05/15 progression; Hilum node; both lungs?
08/15 NED !!!!
Age 51 Mum to Tom (RIP) and Jose 18
KIA KAHA - Be strong!

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:31 pm

I had a boss once who asked me, "Don't you ever smile?" He had just told a joke that probably ridiculed someone else, or putting himself above discourse. He quit that job, and finally a year later, called me at home with a job offer. I took the job, bailed his butt out of trouble, and 8 years later I still don't smile. I don't yell, I don't scream, and I rarely express displeasure with someone. While on chemo or radiation, if anyone touched me, I would have told them to keep their damn hands off me, as most people are just being superficial anyway :roll: :roll: :roll:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Just another thought, justin case; Copy all written e-mails and try to start a log of such instances, as it may be valuable should you need unemployment benefits.
Sincerely,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm

I savor every time a woman gives me a hug. I don't care why.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Hugs are for family, friends & lovers.

I have been told that when you are having chemo, your immunity is down and you
catch whatever is going around quicker. What are people really doing when they give you an unsolicited
hug in a workplace? Giving you their cooties? That's not support.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

lilacbreastedroller

Postby lilacbreastedroller » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Are you kidding me??? Just because you have cancer, that gives anyone the right to just up and wrap their bodies around you? So at your company, if someone comes to work obviously having had a boob job, do people do a titty twist? I can't imagine what they do if someone transitions ...

Good lord. I agree with you. Unsolicited hugs are not acceptable. Sure, hugs from friends and loved ones with permission are awesome.

Great avatar

Hugs (just kidding :twisted: )

Karin
dx 6/1/12@45yo
RT, 4 liv, 5 lung
7/12 FOLFOX
2/13 Xeloda 4k mg/d
7/13 DC VAX,1k mg/d metro Xel
11/13 Erbi, Irino
6/14 clinical trial lirilumab, nivolumab
9/14 Stivarga
1/15 clinical trial immunotherapy (young TILs)
RT, mets to liv, lung, adrenal, lns

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:09 pm

I don't get why the assistant director sent you the email telling you this woman went home for the day. Unless it was a "Can you believe she had to leave just because you asked her to treat you normally?" email. If it was to make you feel guilty for not taking the hug that was thrust upon you without your consent, than that's pretty crappy. If she truly were a compassionate person, she would have responded, "I understand," and left it at that. Doing her little stompy feet thing and saying she won't even say hi to you anymore is really, really childish and unprofessional. She is the one who should be getting a reprimand email.

I don't always know how to act or what to say to people who are ill or who have suffered a loss, but if they tell me what they need, I don't throw a tantrum because it isn't what I was planning to give. Geesh.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

juliej

Postby juliej » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:21 pm

lilacbreastedroller wrote:So at your company, if someone comes to work obviously having had a boob job, do people do a titty twist? I can't imagine what they do if someone transitions ...

LOL! Karin, you made me spit water onto my computer screen! :D
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Last edited by Maggie Nell on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:42 pm

ktwmn wrote:Okay, so at work today someone I don't know well gives me a hug. I was in the assistant director's office and she just walks in (which she does all the time, because he is very attached to her). She had done so the last time I saw her, after she found out about my recurrence. At that time I accepted it. This time I couldn't help myself, I said, "No....no more cancer hugs! Just treat me like normal." Well, this person was very upset with me and stormed out saying that she won't even say hello anymore. Then I get an email from the assistant director telling me that this employee was so upset because of what I said that she left for the day.

I was opposed to having an announcement given to the whole workplace about "my cancer" to begin with (and later found out that other employees who had shoulder surgery, facelifts, etc. did not have to tell anyone but their boss). I was forced into it and although the people I see day to day are not solicitous like that, when someone else is it just reminds me of cancer. I am known for my directness and there is only so much obsequiousness I can stand. I end up having to apologize to these work people for my terrible personality.

I understand that people who have never gone through this don't know what to say, etc. and I should be more understanding of them and the awkwardness they feel. But I go to work for...work. Sometimes I am caught off guard and don't have a nice socially acceptable response. Sorry for my rant, it's just one of the many gifts this terrible disease keeps giving!

Well, talking about an avatar, yours looks just like me, with my blue eyes, and perpetual poker face 8)
Michael
Last edited by justin case on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Sleen

Postby Sleen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:42 pm

whaaaat? Is this person a two-year old? She left work?...with permission?...and YOU got an email from the AD?
This is all kinds of messed up.
I'm sorry that you're being forced to endure this kind of nonsense.

Celine
my blog: Cancer Riot

NED since April 2016!
April 2016: lower left lung lobectomy. NED
8 mo. f/u: 1 of 7 tumors progressed.
6 mo. f/u PR confirmed (Jan 2016)
Jul 2015: NIH TIL trial NCT01174121 NCI/NIH Surgery Branch FAQ
Dec 2014 confirmed stage IV w/bilateral lung mets
FOLFOX + Radiation (bladder)
KRAS G12D :: MSS
dx Sep 2013 @47yo: IIIc T4b N2b MX [bladder invasion, 17/21 lymph nodes]

Married 34 yrs. kids: 28, 25, 21, 16, 14
SE Michigan home schooler, unemployed mechanical engineer, and programmer.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”