Has anyone gone from an end ileostomy to a loop?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
megan120

Has anyone gone from an end ileostomy to a loop?

Postby megan120 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:23 am

I met with my surgeon yesterday. It has been 4 weeks since my last radiation, so we met to discuss the timing of my take down (surprise!! :| ) I didn't realize that there was a period of time before surgery would be come more difficult, so this was a big surprise for me. Anyway, my surgeon's recommendation, which I am taking, is to do the take down but also do a diverting loop ileostomy until the anastomosis heals, to prevent leaks. Basically he is treating my surgery as if I have rectal cancer. He reiterated that my situation is different, so he doesn't have a real protocol to follow. (I kind of felt like yelling bingo when he said that, I am now 4/4 of docs who have talked about winging it with me.)

I know for you rectal cancer folks this is pretty much how it goes. Does anyone have any experience with going from end to loop? Is there much of a difference in care, etc? We are planning for the week of 7/20, which gives me time to get some kind of scan and a contrast enema :oops: :oops: :oops:
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”