Advice wanted

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
samnrich

Advice wanted

Postby samnrich » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 am

Hello all! I'm new to the group and so happy to have found you all. I am caring for my father with stage 4 colon cancer spread to his liver, he also suffers from advanced rheumatoid arthritis. Tomorrow he starts his first chemo (xelox) and I am looking for any advice as to what to expect and any helpful tips for making him as comfortable as possible. Thank you in advance! This is so scary for both of us.

lhawk0730

Re: Advice wanted

Postby lhawk0730 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:06 am

I am a primary caregiver for my mom. At the beginning stages, it may sound simplistic, and will be repeated by others on this board... Butt breathe. It is truly the best advice. Learn to roll with the punches, (i.e. be ready to change plans at a moments notice) and take full advantage of every single day. As for tomorrow... do NOT hesitate to use the on-call line for ANY concerns. Chemo is a serious drug and effects everyone differently. Oh...and a very sincere welcome, with the obligatory wish you didn't need to find us...but welcome all the same!
Daughter to Mom, age 71
Dx 10/14 RC - T3bN1bM0
Chemoradiation til 1/15
Surgery 2/15
Temp ileostomy
Failed Xelox round 4/15
1 round straight Xeloda 5/15 - discontinued
Ileo reversal 5/15
8/15 more Xeloda

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:35 pm

It is scary!
Chemo doesn't affect everyone in the same ways, so somewhat you'll just have to wait & see how it hits him. Ditto what the first poster said about calling your doctor/nurses with any concerns; we pestered ours a lot at first! Staying hydrated is important - my husband had a couple of scary fainting episodes which led to an er visit because of dehydration.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Stanfordmom

Postby Stanfordmom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi There,

Will your father be on a three week cycle?

if yes, they will give you oxiliplatin infusion first day, and you take oral pills (Xeloda) for 14 days. then you get a week off.

Oxiliplatin makes you cold sensitive, so don't let him touch any cold stuff without gloves on. make sure the tap water is warm before he washes his hands. Usually it goes away after the first week.

Also he will have some nausea, please keep zofran and compazine around. I alternate them as I cannot wait for 8 hours for my next dose.

With Xeloda, I didnot have any diarrhea, but some people do get them. After a few cycles, you will have Hand Foot Symdrome (HFS). My feet were painful from walking so I just do stationary biking at home. The skin on your feet and hands will get really dry and start to peel. I use bag balm on the every night and it seems helpful.

Hope this helps, and wish your father has an uneventful first cycle.

Sha
DX 4/2/2014 at 44, stage 4, mets liver and ovaries
Mom to 2 boys
Three surgeries, HAI pump and lots of chemo
fighting!

KWT

Postby KWT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Ask for calcium and magnesium premeds, they made a huge difference for me at least it certainly appeared that way. You e already got some good tips here. I will add though that I've done a metric shit ton of xeloda and never had the hand and foot syndrome. So he may get out of that the others all are kind of part of the deal. Good luck

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:44 pm

MY DH always had a bottle of room temperature gatoraid by his side to keep him well hydrated.
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Rheumatoid Arthritis causes some nasty experiences of it's own, generally caused by an overactive immune system. Your medical team needs to be aware of his situation,( as they probably are), and let them give you the best advise on his protocols.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Willow.NZ

Postby Willow.NZ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:00 am

Hi, Welcome. I am relatively new here and also have my Dad who is stage 4 :( I have found this forum such great support. Lots of ups and downs so far. Very overwhelming and sudden at the beginning. Take care of yourself as best you can and focus on day by day...
Dad diagnosed Sept 14 Stage IV. Age 57yrs. Transverse colon - spread to Retroperitoneal, Mesenteric & Supraclavicular lymph nodes. Folfiri commenced Sept 14.
April 15 - Bowel resection
August 15, stable scan
Feb 16 - No signs of cancer on scan...stop chemo & scan in 3 month
Scan April 16, Crazy growth to stomach, lymph nodes & multiple mets to liver. Commencing Folfox.
August: chemo not working. Stopped treatment.
September 3rd 2016 peacefully left this earth.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”