To HIPEC or NOT TO HIPEC.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
orcasres

Re: To HIPEC or NOT TO HIPEC.

Postby orcasres » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:53 pm

Cherie,

I have followed your posts about your family and your illness, and while this is a very bad week for you it seems like you have always wanted to do what you could to be around for that great daughter of yours. So it is time to take a deep breath and once you can put a little distance between you and the bad things of the past week or so you will make the best decision for yourself and your loved ones. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi Cherie

You have always said you want to be around for your family as long as you can, and HIPEC offers an admittedly tough road, but a good road for that. I would give it serious thought and if it works for you then do it.

In regards to your Husband, I think you have had a lot of advice bagging him. Without knowing him, and your personal situaiton can I offer a different view? Maybe you having cancer scared him shitless, made him think about life and what is important to him and perhaps he just arrived at the same conclusion as you which is that he wants you as long as he possibly can and that money is necessary but almost somewhat irrelevant as working takes you away from him. Maybe it is not the money in the new job but the lower level of responsibility, less stress and less time, meaning he can spend more time and focus on you. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is his way of loving you and trying to support you more.

Again, don't know you but reading your posts this is what I get from his actions.

Good luck with your decision and keep warm. Looked at temps in my home town Hamilton and it was -2 overnight.....Rotorua must be colder than that huh?

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Cherie
Facebook Username: cherie

Postby Cherie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:29 am

Hi Painintheass

You hit the nail on the head
Maybe you don't believe it will/can and your doubt is causing the lack of feeling the strength to go through with it. Sometimes emotions just get all muddled and you need some space to sort them all out. You'll feel better when they are.

That is exactly how I feel. Like no matter what I do I'm doomed....once you help me realise this I started rethinking me options. Thanks for the help.
36Yo F
2000 UC
2013 Stage 4 CC 15/126 LN spread to the omentum
June Collectomy all visible cancer removed
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan
8/14 Ileo-anal pouch surgery still NED
1/15 Emergency illeostomy spread to peritoneum and small bowel

Cherie
Facebook Username: cherie

Postby Cherie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 am

Hi Kiwii in oz,

This week has been much better and wow do I have a happy husband who has been dealing with one cranky, bitchy wife. Had a friend stay with me and kept telling me how lucky I was to have him. Yes he can be a total dick but yes sometimes in my hour of need he has just done/said the perfect thing to get me out of a rut/sadness. He always tells me how beautiful I am, bag and all and I see a new man with his new job. I just need to support him and cut some online shopping out. Most of all I know my daughter will always have a great Dad. He has already taken over most "mum" duties and gets her lunch ready, cleans and takes her to school for me. I know we have gone through some shit and there are times he needed a good slap in the face I could not have gone through this without him. His mother has also been wonderful. Flying to New Zealand from the USA to look after me and her granddaughter after my surgeries.

Time to suck it up and see if I can get HIPEC.
36Yo F
2000 UC
2013 Stage 4 CC 15/126 LN spread to the omentum
June Collectomy all visible cancer removed
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan
8/14 Ileo-anal pouch surgery still NED
1/15 Emergency illeostomy spread to peritoneum and small bowel

Maia

Postby Maia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:14 am

Cherie, that's such a great post!!
Do you remember some months ago, when HIPEC was totally out of the table for you, and the situation was so dire? Look at you know, will that vitamin C and low chemo?!! :wink:
Giving you a big hug!

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 am

Cherie wrote:Hi Painintheass

You hit the nail on the head
Maybe you don't believe it will/can and your doubt is causing the lack of feeling the strength to go through with it. Sometimes emotions just get all muddled and you need some space to sort them all out. You'll feel better when they are.

That is exactly how I feel. Like no matter what I do I'm doomed....once you help me realise this I started rethinking me options. Thanks for the help.

Yay, I helped!

I've said this on other posts but I've realized that I feel so much better when I choose to believe in a positive outcome and I'd rather be wrong than be miserable. Believe this will cure you. You can choose what you believe. Everything else will fall into place. You will feel so much better about doing it and about everything else, too.

After I was diagnosed, I met a guy who had Mersa at one point and was given a 1% chance of surviving and he survived! Even a 1% chance is still a chance. But you have to believe you could be that 1% to even give yourself the chance to find out.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”