Oxycodone hcl 5mg , codeine sulfate 5mg.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jjlist

Oxycodone hcl 5mg , codeine sulfate 5mg.

Postby jjlist » Fri May 29, 2015 11:02 am

I will try using one of these , not at the same time,,,, Anyone have anything to say about these pain meds?
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

skypup

Re: Oxycodone hcl 5mg , codeine sulfate 5mg.

Postby skypup » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

I've used oxycodone. It's the only opioid that doesn't make me too miserable to manage. It was effective, erased some of the pain and made me not care so much about what remained. And I sleep like a baby when I'm on it -- albeit with some mighty weird dreams. Since I mostly only took it at night, I called it my own private opium den.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 pm

My preference is oxycodone over codeine, but up here requires a Rx ( codeine is OTC in things like Tylenol 1, or 222's )
I find I don't get the usual side effects from either ( constipation, night sweats, delirium ) just get sleepy and usually pretty good pain control for things not requiring heavier meds : fentanyl patch, Toradol, Dilaudid, morphine etc. but then morphine really doesn't do that much for me.
When I had a pelvic abscess / post-op pain they basically shut down the morphine PCA because I wasn't using it ... because it wasn't working ! I would make a lowsy junkie I guess
They gave me Toradol which is my all time fave pain med. Docs won't use it for too long tho' as it is hard on your kidneys.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

The oxycodone is Percocet, I believe. It's a lot stronger (and more effective) than codeine, which is more for things like toothaches and sore throats.

As CRG points out, everyone has a different reaction to the wide variety of pain meds available, so if one doesn't do it for you, shop around.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:44 pm

I take 80mg of Targin daily. Morning and night . Targin dose I am on is 40mg oxycodone combined with 20 mg of naloxone (an opiate antagonist that is supposed to stop opiate induced constipation ,,but doesn't.) I don't get high but it does relieve the lower back pain from ankylosing spondylitis. The naloxone does not stop the constipation like it is supposed to and with each dose of targin I have to take two biscodyl and two coloxyl. I have been on them for 18 months and have had no side effects apart from the constipation which is now controlled. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri May 29, 2015 5:16 pm

BrownBagger wrote:The oxycodone is Percocet,...

good catch bro' ...... I am an ASA guy ( tylenol/acetaminophen does less than NOTHING for me so I avoid it and all combinations ) BUTT as stated lots of folks do well with it so it can be a good choice. (( Percodan is the ASA oxycodone combo just FYI ))

I think Ron's point too about the naloxone (Narcan) side effect issue is very important. We used to put it into K9 First Aid kits for the dog squad teams for emergency use if their sniffer/tracker dogs got exposed to heavy duty opioids on duty, and taught the handlers how to inject it. That was mainly for the respiratory depression from overdose which is life-threatening. Depending on dose and individual tolerance / intolerance ...... the opioids and reversal agents (Narcan) may not be as effective as the emergency doses are ... JMO. ..... and Ron's experience seems to bear this out, but glad it still works for your pain !
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm with the Percodan thing, but many around here state that their feet itch and are uncomfortable. It only happens to me when I consume this drug :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Michael
PS. Neuropathy, is a different situation :shock:
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri May 29, 2015 6:25 pm

justin case wrote:I'm with the Percodan thing, but many around here state that their feet itch and are uncomfortable. It only happens to me when I consume this drug :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Michael

When you are ON it or when you stop and "withdraw" ????

The burning/itchy feet (hands) is an opioid thing for sure with many folks...and trudat NOT HFS ... and NOT neuropathy.
Just FYI I have only ever used oxycodone by itself ... not the Percodan combo.... BUTT then again Bro' Nut I am probably like a lotta folks who ...ummmm "trained" their systems on drug combinations :shock: ... in the 60's ....
That is THE 1960's ... NOT their own sixties :mrgreen:

Cheers
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

trbiggins
Facebook Username: Richard Biggins

Postby trbiggins » Fri May 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Before cancer, I had never taken any pain medication other than a Tylenol. I was afraid when I was prescribed oxycodone after surgery. It wasn't that bad. I started with two 5mg every four hours and quickly went to one as needed. I expected it to be stronger I guess. When I quit it I had no problems either.

Richard
42 male at DX
Husband, father (girls 13 and 16)
Stage IV mets to liver Oct 2013
Xelox Dec 13-Apr 14
Avastin, Xeloda Apr-July 2014
Vectibix July
Vectibix/Irinotecan Dec 2014
Colon resect/ HAI pump Jan 2015
Folfiri/Vectibix/FUDR ongoing

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri May 29, 2015 6:47 pm

Who doesn't like oxicodone? That stuff does the trick.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm

I have taken oxy and oxy/acet (Percocet). I prefer oxy by itself, I don't like tylenol. I don't like hydrocodone or hydro/acet (Vicodin), jmo. Have not had codeine. Oh, oxycontin is oxy extended release. Percodan is oxy/asprin.

Also had dilaudid and fentanyl and morphine and toradol but highly doubt you will get them to start with. I hate morphine also, love dilauded.

Oxy actually give me energy and not sleepy.
Last edited by Nik Colon on Fri May 29, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri May 29, 2015 7:21 pm

CRguy wrote:
justin case wrote:I'm with the Percodan thing, but many around here state that their feet itch and are uncomfortable. It only happens to me when I consume this drug :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Michael

When you are ON it or when you stop and "withdraw" ????

The burning/itchy feet (hands) is an opioid thing for sure with many folks...and trudat NOT HFS ... and NOT neuropathy.
Just FYI I have only ever used oxycodone by itself ... not the Percodan combo.... BUTT then again Bro' Nut I am probably like a lotta folks who ...ummmm "trained" their systems on drug combinations :shock: ... in the 60's ....
That is THE 1960's ... NOT their own sixties :mrgreen:

Cheers

Vicodin is probably more accurate, butt when your feet feel like they're peeling in the bathtub when you take it, perhaps it is not that perfect answer, as we all had in the 60s 8) 8) 8) 8)
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri May 29, 2015 7:22 pm

ritz75 wrote:I have taken oxy and oxy/acet (Percocet). I prefer oxy by itself, I don't like tylenol. I don't like hydrocodone or hydro/acet (Vicodin), jmo. Have not had codeine. Oh, oxycontin is oxy extended release.

Also had dilaudid and fentanyl and morphine but highly doubt you will get them to start with. I hate morphine also, love dilauded.

Oxy actually give me energy and not sleepy.

I don't know about everyone else, butt, I missed you for a while my sista. Is everything alright?
Bro nut
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey Bro, sorry, meant to write but busy and other issues. Sorry, I missed you too :) <3

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

ritz75 wrote:Oops

No Darlin,
This time of year it's hoops 8) 8) 8)
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”