Are your oncologists like politicians, too?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KWT

Re: Are your oncologists like politicians, too?

Postby KWT » Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 am

jalusa wrote:I wonder how they do it. I have been told bad news a couple times and I wonder afterwards why anyone would do that job.
I can draw you a map. lol

$$$$$$$

Sorry for the Dbl. post

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu May 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Respectfully, if I may come at this from the doctor side ... ?????
(( disclaimer : VET doctor here BUTT also 8 year CRC patient ... so I think I gots me some traction on this topic .... :shock: ))

Ever, yourself, had to look into another human being's eyes and tell them they were going to die ?
Ever done it day after day for years ?
Ever knew that you did not have all the answers but knew folks were relying on you to find a solution ... to a problem which may may NOT have any answer ?

Not being bitchy to ma' homies who are feeling frustration right now.
Giving a side which is only ONE side of the doctor patient equation I have lived for 34 years, and 8 years respectively.

If this shit was easy on ANYBODY ..... anybody would do it right ?
WE who deal with it are in a minority and the docs who treat us in an even smaller one.

Bitch, rant, vent ... but just remember there is also a human being on the "doctor" side of things and I can assure you all .... docs do not want you or your loved ones to have bad outcomes any more than we do.

BTDT
many
many
many times
...too "preachy" that's Ok feel free to ignore me, but at least consider the other side of the conversation.

JMO and I will let y'all know how I am feeling after my next scan

Cheers and Harmony on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu May 28, 2015 9:01 pm

CRguy wrote:Respectfully, if I may come at this from the doctor side ... ?????
(( disclaimer : VET doctor here BUTT also 8 year CRC patient ... so I think I gots me some traction on this topic .... :shock: ))

Ever, yourself, had to look into another human being's eyes and tell them they were going to die ?
Ever done it day after day for years ?
Ever knew that you did not have all the answers but knew folks were relying on you to find a solution ... to a problem which may may NOT have any answer ?

Not being bitchy to ma' homies who are feeling frustration right now.
Giving a side which is only ONE side of the doctor patient equation I have lived for 34 years, and 8 years respectively.

If this shit was easy on ANYBODY ..... anybody would do it right ?
WE who deal with it are in a minority and the docs who treat us in an even smaller one.

Bitch, rant, vent ... but just remember there is also a human being on the "doctor" side of things and I can assure you all .... docs do not want you or your loved ones to have bad outcomes any more than we do.

BTDT
many
many
many times
...too "preachy" that's Ok feel free to ignore me, but at least consider the other side of the conversation.

JMO and I will let y'all know how I am feeling after my next scan

Cheers and Harmony on the Journey
CRguy

I'll just comment on this for a moment. I was feeling really bad one day during chemo/rad. I called my radiation oncologist, and she picked up the phone ( no answering service or voice mail) She was cooking dinner for her children 8)
There are caring doctors who do all they can; butt even I get pissed off, when I go out of my way to be my best, (when I could settle for average,) and there will still be someone who is less than thrilled with my performance.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:52 pm

I do understand that it must be an incredibly difficult job; I certainly don't want to have to tell countless people they are likely going to die very much sooner than they'd expected...

The whole thing just sucks so much...My husband did not want to be in the room when I asked the questions, so the doctor was just talking to me...it seems to me like he thinks it's really bad, but won't just come out & say it...I think I want him to just tell me, so I can prepare, but maybe I really am not ready to hear it so bluntly.

I think also I just need to whine & complain somewhere... I try to keep everything bottled up most of the time so I don't freak out the kids or our parents.

Thank you all for your sharing your viewpoints; it's nice to hear different opinions/thoughts on things, so that I might learn something new!
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 pm

jhocno, I know exactly what you mean. I needed that also--time to prepare, talk, make plans. But the doctors were unwilling to have that discussion. My husband's cancer was a rare, extremely aggressive cancer but not one time would my husband's oncologists acknowledge that and work more aggressively to find the best treatment and be vigilant in screening, etc. Plus they would not tell us the reality that this particular type of cancer had a 12 month survival rate of 0%.

I think that people like oncologists who deal with terminal patients regularly need to be well-trained in how to talk with their patients in an honest, helpful way. They need to help the patient and the family prepare for what is coming instead of ignoring the facts. I truly don't think that ignoring the elephant it the room is ultimately helpful to anyone.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met