Allergic reaction to Oxiliplatin after 6 treatments

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CLD

Allergic reaction to Oxiliplatin after 6 treatments

Postby CLD » Tue May 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello all, just wanted to share my husband's experience in case this pops up for anyone. About 10 minutes after beginning the Oxiliplatin infusion after treatment 6, my husband broke out in hives and was having tightness in his chest and coughing. He has had had the typical side effects with previous treatments, but nothing like this. The nurse stopped the infusion and gave him 50 mg IV Benadryl. They restarted the chemo and he did fine. I spent the last two weeks searching online trying to get an idea of how the onc would handle this for future treatments. Will they stop the oxi? Will they slow the infusion? Will he have to get treated in the hospital??? All these were options I found online. So today he received treatment #7, full dose, they just pretreated with the Benadryl and he did fine. A lot of worrying for not! He is just sleeping the day away and is still sleeping now. He also got first scan results (figures they were scheduled on a 3 day weekend). Still got the all clear!
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently