How do they diagnose mets?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dontwanttobehere

How do they diagnose mets?

Postby dontwanttobehere » Fri May 08, 2015 9:28 pm

After colon cancer diagnosis I have had 2 different CT scans. First one of abdomen shows a few cysts in my liver and one in my kidney. The chest CT scan shows a node in my lung. It sounds like many people can have cysts so that sounds benign. The radiologist recommendation on the report of the lung node is follow up in 6 months. I haven't talked to MD yet about these results. Surgery for colon in Tuesday. I see many people in this group very unfortunately have mets to both liver and lungs. Just wondering how they get diagnosed?
47 y/o; mom to 5,7,16,18 and 20 y/o
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
unable to pass and see the remaining 2/3 of colon
4/22/15 cancer confirmed, MSS, had genetic testing-all negative!
node in lungs, cysts in liver and kidneys ??all benign we hope
5/12/15 left hemicolectomy laprascopically
T3Nb1MX

Nik Colon

Re: How do they diagnose mets?

Postby Nik Colon » Fri May 08, 2015 10:50 pm

With me, ct and pet to confirm. Also if they are growing.

steiconi

Postby steiconi » Sat May 09, 2015 1:48 am

My CEA kept rising. I asked for a PET scan, which showed lung and thyroid tumors. The thyroid wasn't mets, and probably would never have troubled me if it hadn't shown up in the scan.
I am not my disease.

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Mets need lots of blood and light up quickly after the IV agent is injected just prior to the scan.
(That's the explanation I got, when discussing scan results that showed a few cycts / no mets).
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun May 10, 2015 1:52 am

With PET scans they absorb the sugar. But only the slightly larger ones, so really small ones usually won't show. Also on small ones they usually aren't sure so it's usually the waiting game to see if they do and size plays a part too. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

elise

Postby elise » Sun May 10, 2015 8:49 am

My liver met was found when my CEA rose. On CT they thought it was a hemangioma (no action required) but PET confirmed it was a met.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun May 10, 2015 6:38 pm

dontwanttobehere wrote: Surgery for colon in Tuesday. I see many people in this group very unfortunately have mets to both liver and lungs. Just wondering how they get diagnosed?

Best wishes for the surgery on Tuesday ... heal well and gently !

The other posts have hit on most "ways" ... i.e. CT, PET, blood work ... BUTT other imaging like ultrasound, MRI and good old xrays will give information that something is suspicious for metastasis
AND until they actually have the tissue sample in the pathology lab ....
NONE of the above methods are 100% diagnostic, only suspicious, suggestive or highly suspicious, as per DocTalk.

There is also another way : during surgery the docs will find something they are concerned about which has not been "suggested" by other diagnostics .. so they find it by looking directly and exploring at surgery.

Finally .... everything looks good on all tests, imaging and at surgery ..... BUTT there are microscopic cells hanging out in different locations which are NOT detectable by any of the above means, and which may later end up establishing a metastatic site at some point down the road.... = My Situation.

ALL this is not meant to confuse or upset you.
I am a vet and have done thousands of scans, xrays, blood tests, surgeries etc.etc.etc. to try to find mets in my patients.
Even knowing what I know and being a very proactive patient ..... I still ended up with a met which revealed itself later on.
Nothing is perfect in diagnostics ..... BUTT if you have good docs doing their jobs well and they KEEP looking even after surgery .... it is still possible have a good outcome to this whole CRC Journey. Let your docs know if you are concerned and ask them if there is anything else they would suggest for your own situation.

I mention my own situation and the comments above so you have the information.
I am happy to say I am still here kicking ass after 8 years, so you have the inspiration :D

Now it is your turn to kick ass and get to your own .. good destination !
Best wishes and positive Vibes on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

TeamCM

Postby TeamCM » Mon May 11, 2015 11:59 pm

We just experienced a similar issue. My guy was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. He had an emergency colon resection due to a blockage. Immediately following surgery the surgeon said his liver was clean. However, the very first CT scan (done prior to the colon resection) indicated there were 'cysts' in his liver. We were never told about this information until he was about to be discharged after the colon resection and the oncologist ordered her own MRI. When I asked why the MRI was necessary (because I ask so many questions about everything) I learned about the 'cysts'. I then requested all his medical records and realized these 'cysts' were discussed in the records on several occasions and it was recommended the 'cysts' be evaluated for metastatic disease. I started freaking out since that is typically the path colon cancer spreads... - to the liver and lungs. A PET scan was finally ordered and sure enough, the 'cysts' were actually metastasis. - 4 of them. This was a huge blow since we were told prematurely that his liver was fine when it was not and because the mets automatically made the cancer a stage 4 and not a 3.

I am learning it is better to be safe than sorry and that education on everything about this disease is key.

Best of luck to you. I really hope yours are truly cysts!
Caregiver to my Guy
DX 4/2015 @ 37
Stage IV Colon Cancer
Colon Resection 4/17/2015, 2/38 Lymph Nodes, 4-6 Liver Mets
Folfox 5/18/2015
Liver resection 8/2015
2 Liver ablations 1/2016, peri mets
Y-90 3/2016 & 4/2016
Failed HIPEC 6/2016, metastasies to spine, additional liver mets, peri mets increased significantly
Folfiri 8/2016
Scans 10/2016 revealed shrinkage, jaundice, chemo reduced
Scans 12/2016 revealed growth, hospitalization
Biliary drain & stents placed 1/2017 but jaundice persists

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”