Does Oxaliplatin cause menopause?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mca

Does Oxaliplatin cause menopause?

Postby mca » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:49 am

Hello Colon Club.

I met with two oncologists on Monday regarding my chemo treatment and was confused by the info told. They both suggested the Oxaliplatin + 5FU + Leucovorin treatment every two weeks. But one said that the drugs should not affect my fertility whereas the other one said 1 out of 2 women goes into menopause right away because of Oxaliplatin. Who should I trust? If anyone of you have experienced menopause because of Oxaliplatin, please let me know asap.

I will be seeing some more oncologists this week to get a better understanding on chemo and its side effects. I'll appreciate all your input on this subject.

A million thanks!!!!!

Channie

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 am

This never came up with me because I was already perimenopausal when I started treatment. What I did discover was that I had been having very little in the way of hot flashes before I started treatment and now I'm flashing like a fire alarm! Wow! Hot flashes are listed in my protocol as a possible side effect, but it doesn't say which drug. I'm not sure if it's a chemical effect, or if one of the drugs is shutting down what's left of my ovarian function. If anyone else has any info, I'd be interested. Meanwhile, I'll check with my doc next time I see him.

susanz

does oxaliplatin cause menopause

Postby susanz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:48 am

my daughter's doctors said that some patients' fertility is compromised and some are fine. we were told that it takes 6-12 months after treatment ends for hormones to return to normal. my daughter was only 22 when dx last year. she had 6 folfox before her operation and actually got her period on the day of surgery (of course). they tucked her ovaries up and out of the way during surgery to protect them from the radiation we knew she would have. she had 8 more folfox after the radiation and hasn't gotten her period since surgery day. she completed all treatment on may22nd and we are waiting to see if things kick back in. she has been so brave and endured so much, i hope she won't have to take hormones forever. right now she doesn't care about having children, but some day she might and it would be nice if something came easily for her. susan

Elaina

Postby Elaina » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Channie,

Well, I can relate my experience with Oxaliplatin. I was 37 yrs old at diagnosis and 38 when I started the FOLFOX treatment.

I didn't have any menopause type symptoms during treatment but 3 months afterwards I started getting both hot flashes and night sweats.

From the reading I've done it appears the younger you are the better your odds of an early menopause being temporary. My Oncologist doubted (because of my age) that this was temporary for me.

If your main concern is fertility and if you're going to have radiation therapy the Radiation Oncologist is the main guy to talk to. Radiation treatment to the pelvic area will generally cause infertility.

The important thing to do is read and research. The American Society of Clinical Oncology is a good resource. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Elaina
Diagnosed Stage III Rectal Cancer at age 37
Currently 3+ years cancer free!

Becca

Postby Becca » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm

I am 35 years old, stage 4, & I did experiance menopause DURING my chemo. :? I had 8 treatments of FULFOX & 4 of FULFURI after an allergic reaction to the Oxaliplatin, for a total of 12 treatments. I am happy to report that I got my period again 6 WEEKS TO THE DAY after I finished chemo, & it has been regular & normal ever since. My OBGYN says that it is nearly impossible to tell if the chemo has effected my fertility, but that the return of a normal cycle is a great sign. Nothing sucks more than going thru hot flashes :oops: , night sweats, & chemo, but the trade off is well worth it. I'm feeling great now, & I am currently in remission. (FINGERS CROSSED & KNOCKING ON WOOD AS I TYPE THIS!!) It's great to be able to keep up with my 19 month old daughter & get back to life. Hope this helps.

karent

Postby karent » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 pm

Channie,

I was 31 at the time I began my Oxaliplatin treatment and 6 weeks postpartum. I had very light and abnormal periods during my treatment (could have also been due to being postpartum). I did not regain a "regular" period until about 2 months post treatment and these were even shorter and lighter than my cycle prior to being pregnant. I had about 6 months of these shorter and lighter cycles and then my body seemed to return to its pre-pregnancy/pre-chemo state. I never experienced hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms. I would guess my fertility is back to normal although we haven't tested it yet.

Good luck gathering your information and strength be with you during treatment.

Peace,

Karen

karent

Postby karent » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Channie,

I was 31 at the time I began my Oxaliplatin treatment and 6 weeks postpartum. I had very light and abnormal periods during my treatment (could have also been due to being postpartum). I did not regain a "regular" period until about 2 months post treatment and these were even shorter and lighter than my cycle prior to being pregnant. I had about 6 months of these shorter and lighter cycles and then my body seemed to return to its pre-pregnancy/pre-chemo state. I never experienced hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms. I would guess my fertility is back to normal although we haven't tested it yet.

Good luck gathering your information and strength be with you during treatment.

Peace,

Karen

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:59 pm

I was perimenopausal at the start of treatment, and infertile before that, so fertility was never an issue for me. It's just the hot flashes. It sounds like the chemo is a factor, and maybe things will get better after the treatment is over. Maybe. Although for me, it will have been a year since my last period, and the hormones are at rock bottom anyway. I DON'T want to take suppliments if I can help it. I can just hope things will level out a bit and I'll go back to mild, infrequent flashes again.

BTW, I adopted my beautiful daughter. It's a great way to have a family for those of you who may have fertility problems in the future. Some agencies like a squeaky clean health history, thinking that that makes the child's future more secure, but others may be more open if you have letters from your docs saying that you're cancer free for however many years.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”