High sugar levels - 4 round of chemo XELOX

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Savemomfromcolon

High sugar levels - 4 round of chemo XELOX

Postby Savemomfromcolon » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 pm

My mom has high sugar levels 200+ before fasting and 250 after fasting. She is now at 4th round of chemo (XELOX). She never has diabeties in her life. Should I be worried?

Please help us understand. I am tired of bad things happening..

peanut_8

Re: High sugar levels - 4 round of chemo XELOX

Postby peanut_8 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Yes, I think that blood sugar level needs addressing. Have you discussed it with her medical team?
Don't worry to much, there are medications available to fix the problem, butt you need to talk to her doctors.
Best Wishes, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Thu May 07, 2015 10:38 am

Is your mother receiving steroids along with the chemo? Steroids (dexamethasone) can cause large increases in blood sugar. In addition, chemo is usually given with a glucose (sugar) solution. It would be advisable for your mother to see an endocrinologist to put her on diabetes medicine or insulin to lower her blood sugar. I have diabetes and on treatment days, my blood sugar would spike very high. The endocrinologist instructed me on how much to increase insulin dosage on those days. Also, the amount of steroid used was decreased.

Leslie

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Postby vilca11 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm

In my experience, sugar and cholesterol are very reflective of the condition of the liver.... My doctor does not think so, but I am talking from experience - when I have active disease, my sugars are rising and my total cholesterol would be close to 400, correspondingly HDL is low, the other one high and triglycerides are out of the roof... The moment my mets in liver are zapped, all comes to normal.... until they flourish again... And that hypoglycemic shock that I had after cryo when my sugars dropped to 23, inexplicable..

So, the sugar rise during chemo I would place into category of liver problems/reaction to chemo by the liver.... butt, I know your doctor would not agree with my statement.... Anyway, my two cents.
Hugs, Vilca
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

TheLadySkye

Postby TheLadySkye » Thu May 07, 2015 6:09 pm

My blood sugar levels skyrocketed on FOLFOX (high 100s, once in the 200s, non-fasting). I've never had high blood sugar. The onc was not AT ALL worried and said the steroids they give with the infusion can dramatically raise blood sugar levels. Apparently, this effect is pretty long-lasting as I am a year out from chemo now and they're still somewhat elevated. But again, when I ask if ice cream could have anything to do with this, docs are not worried and said it takes a long time to return to normal, especially since the liver and pancreas are still working overtime to clear stuff out and rebuild.

I'll believe them...for now. I've also cut way back on the ice cream, just in case ;)
TheLadySkye
Stage 2b (T4N0M0) small intestine (jejunum) 8/13
Small bowel resection 9/13
CT 10/13 - NED
FOLFOX chemotherapy 11/13 - 4/14
CT 6/14 - NED and my nemesis (the power port) out!
Clean colonoscopy and endoscopy 9/14
CT 12/14, 6/15 - NED!!!

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 pm

My dad is diabetic, taking folfiri. His sugar goes up from day 2-6 on chemo. He is taking a antinausea med that has a steroid in it, which he takes for 3 days with chemo. His doctor is aware of this and we just keep track of his numbers to let them know at appts how high it is going. But, the first time it happened, we did call the cancer clinic right away as we did not know that it would happen.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”