How many less than 50 at dx have Lynch syndrome?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dontwanttobehere

How many less than 50 at dx have Lynch syndrome?

Postby dontwanttobehere » Tue May 05, 2015 10:17 pm

I have spent many hours searching the forum and learned so much as I prepare for surgery and the events that follow. Sadly I see that many people are less than age 50 when diagnosed. My question for those folks is 1) did you have genetic testing? 2) did you have a partial colectomy or total colectomy? 3) have you learned anything regarding prognosis that was unique to being diagnosed younger than 50 that influenced your treatment decisions? Thanks in advance for your time to answer.

My first surgeon recommends a total colectomy based on my age (47) and that I have a grandma who died from colon cancer and both parents with many polyps over the year. I met the geneticist Monday and she is suspicious of Lynch but not confident. The results won't be back until after surgery. The surgeon doesn't want to wait until then to operate as my tumor is basically nearly obstructing my colon at this time. I have a second opinion tomorrow but would like more advice from people who have gone through this journey.

I appreciate this group and am certain to have more questions soon.
Paige
47 y/o; mom to 5,7,16,18 and 20 y/o
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
unable to pass and see the remaining 2/3 of colon
4/22/15 cancer confirmed, MSS, had genetic testing-all negative!
node in lungs, cysts in liver and kidneys ??all benign we hope
5/12/15 left hemicolectomy laprascopically
T3Nb1MX

cathy123

Re: How many less than 50 at dx have Lynch syndrome?

Postby cathy123 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Did they do msi testing on your biopsy from diagnosis? It is not as conclusive as the lynch testing, but my understanding is that if you are msi stable you are unlikely to have lynch. That test was back within a week - because mine was stable the surgeon said they eoukdnt recommend lynch testing even though I was 43.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

dontwanttobehere

Postby dontwanttobehere » Tue May 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Cathy, I have no idea. That is a great question. I have a copy of everything except the biopsy report so I will ask for that tomorrow.
4/20/15 had first scope as recommended by OB/gyn due to family history with large mass found at splenic flexure
T3Nb1MX

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed May 06, 2015 12:37 am

That's a tough decision.

I got tested and I do not have Lynch syndrome.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

KimT

Postby KimT » Wed May 06, 2015 6:02 am

I was diagnosed with lynch following my resection at age 32. I had a right hemicolectomy. I did have a second resection a year later because of poor healing at the anastamosis site and had another 8 cm of bowel removed. I chose not to have the total colectomy because I feared for additional complications. My grandfather had a ton of complications following his total colectomy. He was in the clinical trials for the j pouch and was one of the first in the country to have that surgery. I'm sure that since that time, complications are minimized as new techniques become available. I just figured that once it's gone, it's gone and I can't take that decision back. So I opted to preserve as much bowel as possible. I stay on top of my yearly colonoscopies. In the 5 years since I was diagnosed with colon cancer, I've only had 4 polyps. What mainly influenced treatment decisions for me at age 32 was my decision not to have a hysterectomy at the time of my second colon resection. Uterine cancer is a high risk for women with lynch and it is recommended to have a total hysterectomy before age 40. I wanted to preserve my fertility in hopes of having another child. Unfortunately that choice bought me a nasty form of ovarian cancer 6 months later. There went my dreams of another child and instead I got a full regimen of chemo and now permanent neuropathy in my hands and feet. However all that I have learned and went through has paved the way for my family to get tested and make treatment choices. My sister was recently diagnosed with lynch. She had a total hysterectomy in February and a colonoscopy. Her risks are now greatly reduced as long as she stays on top of her colonoscopies.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 am

Paige, I think KimT has some good advice.

If I were in your shoes, I would not get a total colectomy at this point. Good grief, you don't even know if you have Lynch Syndrome. If it turns out that you do, and you feel that a colectomy is in your best interest, you can always go back later and do it. It seems to me that your surgeon is pressuring you to make a quick decision, without all the information you need. Have the tumor removed, recover, and then address the possibility of Lynch. Just my opinion of course.

peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Had genetic testing- no lynch- which surprised everyone because there are lady cancers and colon cancer on my moms side. Im msi stable. They believe mine is inherited but dont know what gene/mutation. I had an emergency subtotal colectomy because i had a blockage. Still have a rectum just no colon. Glad i was able to have my temporary ileostomy reversed. No issues from the healing of my surgery or reversal.
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Ehut

Postby Ehut » Wed May 06, 2015 2:30 pm

My GI doc that diagnosed me thought Lynch was a high probability due to the number of polyps found in addition to the cancer. However, after testing for Lynch and a couple other less common genetic conditions, everything came back negative. I decided on a partial colectomy and do not regret it at this point. I would not have a total colectomy unless I KNEW that I had a genetic condition, and even then I may not opt for it.
Dx 12/11 rectal stage IV w/ 6 mets to liver, age 35
4 cycles FOLFOX 12/11 to 2/12
short course radiation 2/12
rectal/liver resection 3/12, temp ileostomy
8 cycles FOLFOX/FOLFIRI 4/12 to 8/12
ileostomy reversal 10/12
port out 10/13
1/17: Added daughter to family!
12/19: Added son to family!
NED for 11+ years and counting!

Leighann Sturgin

Postby Leighann Sturgin » Wed May 06, 2015 5:13 pm

I was dxd with stage iv cc at 30. I had a strong family history of cc and had ulcerative colitis since I was a teenager, so my surgeon and I thought a total colectomy was the best choice for me. After my cc dxd my aunt, uncle (both dxd with cc in their 30s also) and I were all genetically tested and are positive for Lynch. After my total colectomy cancer spread to my small intestines, I lost most of them too. Now I have Short Bowel Syndrome and am on TPN every night.
F 44 yo
3/04 dxd colon cancer stage IV (Lynch)
4/04 colectomy
chemo
8/04 hyserectomy
1/05 debulking, HIPEC, ileostomy
short bowel syndrome- TPN and IV fluid dependent
1/06 HIPEC
07 splenectomy
Vaccine trail
12 right nephrectomy
NED since 07
2015 Colondar 2.0 Miss May
2016 Kidney disease
2016 permanent left nephrostomy

The Kimberly Fund Director

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

There is a lot of good advise about testing for lynch. Butt if you are about to be constricted with a tumor, you can sit around and wait, experience the worst pain you may have ever encountered, and make a decision while so full of morphine, it would be illegal for a surgeon to act upon. I would get rid of the tumor NOW, and since it is only May, you can have the total colectomy later this year, if that is your decision. You will reach your max out of pocket, and the second surgery will be of miniscule expense, if done in this calendar year.
JMHO,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

sofarsogood

Postby sofarsogood » Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Paige,
I'm lynch positive too. My surgeon only briefly discussed the possibility of doing a total colectomy, his opinion was to keep monitoring it closely and if any problems came up or I didn't want to do the yearly colonoscopy, then we would talk about it. I also went to Mayo and they set me up with everything they feel I should be doing going forward, so if it ever did come back they would hopefully catch it early.
Dx Sept. '10, age 49
Surgery Sept."10
Stage IIA
NED so far

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Wed May 06, 2015 9:17 pm

I believe there was another thread on this recently. I also have Lynch and about puked when my surgeon mentioned the total colectomy - not going down that road unless I have to. There'd better be cancer attached to my colon to take the rest of it - Lynch be damned! :evil: :evil:
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

dontwanttobehere

Postby dontwanttobehere » Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 pm

As always, I am grateful for the advice I am getting here. Had my second opinion today and learned biopsy was MSS which he explained means it appears the tumor is not hereditary. I feel confident based on his input and the information I have learned here to only have a partial colectomy. I messaged my surgeon tonight letting him know so. While I don't look forward to a yearly colonoscopy or worse yet the idea of going through this cancer surgery a second time, I feel I am making the best decision. It sure sucks having to process all this information and make all these decisions during the most stressful time of my life.
T3Nb1MX

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 pm

I was under the impression that the follow up for Lynch was a colonoscopy every 12 months so to have a total colectomy sounds drastic to me at this stage of the game. Do not feel pressured. You need a lot more information before you make a decision in my opinion.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

bathroom_tile_blues

Postby bathroom_tile_blues » Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey there,

I have been a lurker of this site since my diagnosis in January. I will give you a little background in hopes that it might prove beneficial to you and anyone else that might be going through something similar.

I'm a 31 year old guy who was tested for Lynch Syndrome in the fall of 2014. My brother and I were tested for this because my father battled colon cancer twice about 20 years ago and has had a family history of similar, unbeknownst at the time, Lynch cancers in his family that had proven fatal. My brother was found not to have the gene, but I did have it (MSH2). The next steps entailed meeting with my primary care doctor and a GI to begin the routine testing for Lynch patients. I met with those doctors, discussed any issues I may have had at the time (none) and scheduled my first endoscopy and colonoscopy (and blood work, urine tests, etc.). Ultimately, everything came back normal with the exception of my colonscopy. The colonscopy identified a 30mm polyp/tumor/whatever you want to call it on my ascending colon. They biopsied it and found it to be cancerous and away we went. I met with a surgeon a few days later and he proposed three options: 1.) partial colectomy (site of tumor/polyp/bs) 2.) total colectomy (leaving about 6 inches) and 3.) total removal and installation of J-pouch. The doctor gave percentages of likely recurrence for each procedure with the partial having the highest. I opted for the total colectomy based on my father's experience. He had the same cancer in the same location, but it came back where it ultimately resulted in something close to a total colectomy. From there we had more blood work and a CAT scan that came back "pristine". My CEA level prior to surgery was 1.2.

I went in for the surgery less than a week later and it was performed laproscopically. I was discharged prematurely after about 36 hours that resulted in some vomiting and pain, but was readmitted 24 hours or later. Since then, my recovery has been pretty good. I was up on my feet and walking a couple of miles about 2 weeks after surgery. I was initially having about 5-6 bowel movements a day that have slowed down to about 4 on average.

The pathology report came back identified the cancer as Stage 3. It had penetrated to the submucosa but not beyond any of the walls. The colon itself looked clean from the outsides and the margins were clear. 31 lymph nodes were pulled and unfortunately, managed to get itself into 1 of them (resulting in the stage 3 diagnosis).

The oncologist went back and forth with whether or not we should proceed with adjuvant chemotherapy and we finally decided to go with it. We also received a second opinion from Sloane that agreed with this plan of attack. So, I'm currently finishing up round 3 of 12 on Folfox. It kind of sucks for a few days, but it has been mostly tolerable thus far.

In summary, I know a lot of people are against an aggressive plan like a total colectomy, but I've honestly found it to be pretty easy to deal with. I live around Chicago and have tested my new bowel with all sorts of "chicago" food and have not really had an adverse reaction. The biggest change is the more frequent bowel movements which aren't so bad! I never feel bloated!

I hope this story helps you and anyone else out there that is in a similar predicament. I'm happy to help and share any information I can.

P.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”