Totally O/T -- My Music Listening Habits

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Totally O/T -- My Music Listening Habits

Postby BrownBagger » Tue May 05, 2015 2:06 pm

I was reminded, this morning while getting chemo, what a great thing portable music devices are. When someone turns on the TV or starts talking about their operations, I dig out the headphones, whip out my phone, and climb into a different sonic world. If you'd told me 30 years ago that I could carry my entire record collection in my pocket, I would have had no choice but to confiscate your drugs.

This, in turn, reminded me that I have an interesting approach to musical enjoyment, aided and abetted mightily by the technology.

What I do is pick a musician and a period in that musician's career, then listen to nothing else for weeks or months (usually longer than a month). I learn all the lyrics, read up on the musician, the style, history of the records, etc. Anything connected to those particular recordings is fair game. Meanwhile, I listen to it over and over again, in the car on my long commutes and trips, as well as at home. At some point, I move on to a new artist (or genre) and immerse myself in it for awhile before moving on again.

I have no musical training or inclination, and probably not a very sophisticated appreciation of what's going on instrumentally and musically, but I do sometimes decide to focus on an instrument (say the bass) and try to appreciate the role it's playing in the performance. I guess I'm fascinated by musical arrangements, since I wouldn't know where to start. Some musicians probably wouldn't know where to start writing a magazine article or book, so I guess we all have our talents.

So, anyway, over the past two years I've gone from Wes Montgomery (whole career) to Miles Davis (Bitches Brew only) to the Allman Bros. (first 4 albums) and now getting into Johnny Winter, (career period TBT), but I'm starting with the first album and a live performance I lifted off of Youtube. You get into someone like Charlie Parker, and it's a pretty rich vein to tap, especially these days, when you can get all sorts of obscure stuff on the Internet.

I don't know anyone else who enjoys their music this way, but I find it pretty satisfying. My wife, by the way, likes to play the album Aquarius all the time, which I tolerate since she tolerates my music-listening habits.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

teachpdx

Re: Totally O/T -- My Music Listening Habits

Postby teachpdx » Tue May 05, 2015 2:31 pm

I listen to the radio, frequently jazz, unless I'm in such a mood that I need to listen to something familiar. Our jazz station here does a good job of focusing on a particular artist and giving a great background and their music. I go with my mood. 8)
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 pm

My husband does this to a certain degree. He doesn't switch major genres as you describe but artists he will focus on for long periods of time. Before music downloading, he communicated with people from all over, trading CDs. They would share live tracks as well as other obscure recordings. We have been know to listen to several versions of the same song in succession. 8) It is common for me to focus on one group at a time. With so much info accessible. I do enjoy learning more about the artists but don't have the focus you describe. I also learn the lyrics and while not a musician, do sing in a choir. My husband gets together occasionally with a friend (could be described as an old hippie) to listen and talk about music. I can picture you participating. It is great to have so much music available to us.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 pm

I am a jazz musician. Charlie Parker, miles Davis are artists that were groundbreakers. They changed and set the bar during their careers. If you appreciate musicians that have that type of impact, I would recommend jaco pastorius, chick corea, Herbie hancock for some listening. Happy listening.
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 pm

WOW that is some heady company ….. and from a musician … we be doin' well to listen to it all !
For my money "Bird" rules that list

I applaud BB for his "immersion" style, but I kind of go thru "episodes" of digging' jazz and listen to a lotta folks to compare and just DIG.
Same with Rock, R&B, Soul … to me great music IS great regardless of genre …. BUTT
there are some cats who just move the spheres and rewrite the rules .. not just the lyrics.
…in addition to those mentioned … ALL GREAT ….

I would add John Handy, Charles Lloyd, Don Cherry, John Coltrane, Charlie Mingus, Jimi Hendrix …. yup Jimi …NOBODY ever did guitar like him, and while he was "rock" in the '60s definition ….. NOBODY messed with guitar like Jimi.
Anyone who's ever listened, played in a progressive band and knows music will agree … NOBODY did guitar like Jimi.

getting' nostalgic now … need to break out my drums and synths and hook up my Voice of the Theatres so the neighbours can't sleep

Cheers
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Fri May 08, 2015 12:01 am

Yes. They are all at the top. This list and topic could go on forever! That's the beauty of music. Jimi is definitely an impact game changer musician. We listen to what we like and feel.
age 56
4/29/10 Abcess infection

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 am

I am musically isolated. I live only in the sixties and I might add ,am totally happy. Perhaps I should be Ron60. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri May 08, 2015 6:13 am

jjlist wrote:I am a jazz musician. Charlie Parker, miles Davis are artists that were groundbreakers. They changed and set the bar during their careers. If you appreciate musicians that have that type of impact, I would recommend jaco pastorius, chick corea, Herbie hancock for some listening. Happy listening.

Yes, I like all three--especially Jaco. What a tragic ending.

On a complex assemble like Bitches Brew, there are two keyboardists, a couple of bass players, two drummers (at least), a trumpet, of course, a sax and John McLaughlin on guitar. Trying to figure out who's playing what (i.e., which keyboardist are we hearing now) is an interesting exercise. Every musician has a different, distinctive style, and it can take some time to figure that out, but it's fun.

In the case of the Allman Bros.,--during the Duane era at least--it's easier because Dickey Betts always plays on the right channel and Duane is on the left. I usually determine who's playing now just by listening, but at first, it was handy to be able to refer to the channel and know for sure. Same thing with the drum kits. Six piece band.

Listen to a power trio like Johnny Winter or Nirvana, and you wonder how they got that much sound out of just three instruments. Then, listen to Robert Johnson and wonder how he got so much sound out of one guitar. Amazing--like Jimi Hendrix amazing.

All that said, I haven't quite warmed up to Eric Dolphy---yet.

Jlist, what instrument(s) do you play?
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Fri May 08, 2015 10:35 am

My main instrument is electric bass. I play some piano also and like to arrange and attempt to write music.
Jim
age 56
4/29/10 Abcess infection

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 am

Wes Montgomery was probably my first inspiration to listen to jazz or more precise double octaves on a guitar, followed by Stanley Turrentine. Eddie Harris , with Les McCann "Compared to What" sealed the deal. When I saw Johnny Winter, being an albino, he got blinded by the lights, fell off the stage, and barely missed a note on the way to the floor. I recently bought the Allman Brothers greatest hits for my truck. As I'm technically challenged, I don't know how to access the music on the web, and I'm also to cheap to pay for downloads. I guess working in a record store in the early 70s, may contribute to developing a taste for all music genres. As for Aquarius, be glad it's not In A Gadda Da Vida :roll:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun May 10, 2015 10:00 am

When I was about 13 years old I lived in South Korea, where you could buy bootleg albums for cheap. I picked up one entitled "Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo" featuring Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery. I've been hooked ever since.
Eric, 58

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun May 10, 2015 10:22 am

BrownBagger wrote:When I was about 13 years old I lived in South Korea, where you could buy bootleg albums for cheap. I picked up one entitled "Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo" featuring Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery. I've been hooked ever since.

A Day in the Life hooked me 8)
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Sun May 10, 2015 11:25 am

You tube Has many clips. It's very easy to search Justin.
age 56
4/29/10 Abcess infection

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun May 10, 2015 11:59 am

jjlist wrote:You tube Has many clips. It's very easy to search Justin.

You can even convert youtube audio to mp3 format with free, online tools. Then you can upload it to your phone or iPod and take it with you. Always better to buy the CD if you can (technically and ethically), but most of those live recordings on YouTube are unavailable anywhere else or in any other format.
Eric, 58

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun May 10, 2015 1:16 pm

I'm not really trying to sound funny here, but my 2006 Ford Ranger has the ability to play MP-3. What is an MP-3? I have been technically challenged for years.
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”