To do what the docs suggest, or not?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
skypup

Re: To do what the docs suggest, or not?

Postby skypup » Sat May 02, 2015 9:42 pm

SMR, thank you so much for your story. What kindness to tell me of your husband's story; it's comforting to know his thinking was much the same as mine. What makes me smile most is feeling how you so understood him on his journey. Love is the best.
Hugs!

Cherie
Facebook Username: cherie

Postby Cherie » Sun May 03, 2015 5:05 am

xox Luv U!! Just sent you a letter.

I'm not going to tell you what to do but rather what I am doing. My oncologist refuses to give me more chemo. The hair and the skin, and travel, time, pain, and money are not little things these are huge and yes you might get more time but also a lot more suffering. Its not about time but quality for me and that's why I'm doing the vitamin c. I have energy through the week and by all accounts from the outside world I look cancer free. Thats how I chose to live my time I have left. I'm not giving up I just want to live it to as "normal" as I can. I am not going to win this battle but I can still have some fun in my life.

xox
36Yo F
2000 UC
2013 Stage 4 CC 15/126 LN spread to the omentum
June Collectomy all visible cancer removed
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan
8/14 Ileo-anal pouch surgery still NED
1/15 Emergency illeostomy spread to peritoneum and small bowel

Ceebo

Postby Ceebo » Sun May 03, 2015 7:47 am

Cherie, do you mind if I ask how much Vitamin C you are taking? So glad it's working for you and you are experiencing a good QOL. --Cindie
DH 64 Stage 4 on 4/14 ; cecal tumor; 5+ nodes ; mets to liver; colon resection
5/14 FOLFOX
9/14 - Liver surgery aborted; peri mets
10/14 CT mult.1-2 mm lung mets; FOLFIRI & Avastin
1/15 CT -liver & lung mets shrinking
3/15 PET - ? New met. site colon; CEA rising
7/15 Chemo has failed; looking for clinical trial
9/29/15 started TAS-102 trial
KRAS mutant; MSS

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:59 am

Skypuppy, I won't offer an opinion, other than to say yours is the only one that counts. I'm writing to thank you and the many others who have so generously shared the decision making process with us. I fear it's something too many of us will have to face as time passes. It's such an intimate thing and I appreciate being allowed to hear your thoughts. It's already helped me to clarify my own thoughts and feelings. I've learned I'm definitely a "quality over quantity" type of gal. I hope you are comfortable and that your heart is filled with light. Hugs to you dear one. XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Skypup
We are in similar situation... Decided to try TAS102 even tho it's not listed as a trial in wa onc is able to get it as a compassionate use.. So you may be able to get it where you are if interested ... It's similar to 5fu but in oral form...good luck and hugs
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Tue May 05, 2015 1:01 pm

I can't make that decision for you. I can only support it. And I would support without question the one you choose. Lets face it, there is no cure for cancer yet. We get poked, cut, infused and radiated in the hopes we respond positively. It's a guess as to which statistic we ultimately will belong to. Drs try to save lives. That's their oath. Personal Quality of life is the factor I will rely on. Drs don't walk in your shoes. My current "signature" doesn't show huge setbacks I have gone through in the last 3 months. I haven't done what the drs have suggested for them. If when I get worse, I am leaning towards no treatment. My setbacks are past treatment related. My quality of life since my diagnosis has been manageable but far from what it was pre diagnosis. Now it's worse. We all have an expiration date. And it's not resettable. Modern cancer treatments have prolonged life but at what cost to the patient?
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat May 30, 2015 10:25 am

My beloved Theresa, I know that whatever you decide to do, it will be exactly the best thing for you. You're one of the persons who, to my eyes, have made the most intelligent, good-results-oriented *and* quality-of-life-oriented decisions that I have ever seen. Plus, you're a compassionate, honest and humble person... what else you could possible need, to know that everything will be fine for you, wherever the path leads you.
Saying that... I don't think your gut lacks intelligence. :wink: Many things can be done with lower doses/alternative schedules you can get from your standard-of-care providers; with over-the-counter stuff, with out-of-the-standard-of-care... *and* good quality of life. Cherie had some good ideas going on there.
Would you let us know about if you had that scan done..?
I'm so sad I've let you down and I have not been here for you. Truly sad. I'm so sorry, skypuppy.

30-ish old skin, uh?? beeeetch! :wink:

skypup

Postby skypup » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks, Maia, for just being you! And resurrecting this thread let me read all the caring and wise responses again, which was good.

Pukalania, how great that you got TAS-102 on a compassionate use status! Please let us know how it goes. I'll PM.

UPDATE: After a careful reading of my latest CT report, it seems one of the most disturbing pieces of news for me recently, which led me to discontinue iri+erbi, was a false positive (docs didn't bother to mention this--when I asked, I got a squishy answer as if I were angling to cause trouble about the false positive. Not.) Which means that iri+erbi was seemingly working all along. Jeez. So I'm back on it and not worrying about the kidney or bone mets until I get confirmation from my next set of scans. I've greatly reduced iri dosage from 180 per meter squared to 100, and did a 20% reduction on standard Erbitux dose. I'll probably go lower still. QOL: I only have 2 bad days with this regimen. Pain has gone to near 0 for the first time in over two years, how weird is that? Skin problems are not happening yet.

Thanks for the honest feedback and kind support, everyone!

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 am

I'm tearing up out of relief.

Low doses, continually, like the humble, formless water that finally overcomes the hardest stone... and cancer is not even the hardest of the stones.
You go, flower girl.
((hugging you in my heart))
Last edited by Maia on Sat May 30, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat May 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Skypup wrote:UPDATE: After a careful reading of my latest CT report, it seems one of the most disturbing pieces of news for me recently, which led me to discontinue iri+erbi, was a false positive (docs didn't bother to mention this--when I asked, I got a squishy answer as if I were angling to cause trouble about the false positive. Not.) Which means that iri+erbi was seemingly working all along. Jeez.

Well, my God, how dare you question how THAT happened. This gives you free reign to question everything moving forward, don't ya know. I'm sure the relief overshadowed the desire to jump out of the chair & bitchslap someone.

Best Wishes
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat May 30, 2015 4:01 pm

bitchslapped wrote:
Skypup wrote:UPDATE: After a careful reading of my latest CT report, it seems one of the most disturbing pieces of news for me recently, which led me to discontinue iri+erbi, was a false positive (docs didn't bother to mention this--when I asked, I got a squishy answer as if I were angling to cause trouble about the false positive. Not.) Which means that iri+erbi was seemingly working all along. Jeez.

Well, my God, how dare you question how THAT happened. This gives you free reign to question everything moving forward, don't ya know. I'm sure the relief overshadowed the desire to jump out of the chair & bitchslap someone.

Best Wishes
BS

I agree with Lois, although she is not close enough to us, to express (don cha know), quite as well as we do :roll: I don't often respond to these threads, but I am concerned for your well being, and I just wanted you to know.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

skypup

Postby skypup » Sat May 30, 2015 4:17 pm

justin case wrote:
bitchslapped wrote:

Best Wishes
BS

I agree with Lois, although she is not close enough to us, to express (don cha know), quite as well as we do :roll: I don't often respond to these threads, but I am concerned for your well being, and I just wanted you to know.
Michael

Aw, thank you!!!

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sat May 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Skypup...glad things are better. I guess it's another example of where worry gets you nowhere....especially over something that might not exist yet (thanks to false positives) geez..... :roll:
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:24 pm

This sounds like very good news - and I think we can really use some around here. Very happy for you.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat May 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Dear Skypuppy, I just wanted to add: you started this post on April 28th, and were wondering about Erbitux; maybe you're not aware that on April 30th, the FDA approved ramucirumab for mCRC.

Ramucirumab (Cyramza)is a human VEGFR2 antagonist (let say, a cousin of Erbitux; but the rash doesn't seems to be a common side effect).
It has been approved in combination with Folfiri for the second-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. It has a relatively known profile, since it has been approved, previously, for gastric and non–small-cell lung.
So, *if* you're up to it, when/if you need it (not now! thank you, false positive), maybe your onc should offer you this, a difference from three days before. : )

I have not seen this posted and I'm thinking of Voxx also... I may post later, in a separate thread.

So, bottom line: everything changes, you never know! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”