Adhesions odyssey

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dario74

Adhesions odyssey

Postby Dario74 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:44 am

My colon cancer surgery was in july 2011, the monster was on the left side, colon descendent, very close the sigma, at the beginning II stage but because they found a perforation full of liquid and carcinoma mucus they treat me as III stage chemo.
In these almost 4 years of ct scan, markers and colonoscopy my happiness to be clean has been cancelled by the intestine small bowel obtructions drama.....
After the first year from the surgery i started to experience mountly intestine blockages, every mount 2,3 days in bed with pain and a sofference unavailable, nausea, desire to vomit, no food and barely drink water, only tons of oxycodone pills!!!
After many ct scan specific to the small intestine with all the contrast and bario, mri, xray.....nothing, it always looked perfect.
After last strong blockage of a week of duration i run to the emergency and finally from the ctscan right during the pain iy was clear that the reasons of this hell were some adhesions at the small intestine.....
They told me that the open surgery could fix some adhesions but create others but in my case the frequency of the problem could worth the surgery.....obviously in laparoscopy with less chances of collateral damages would be the best thing.....WELL...3 weeks ago i decide for a surgery.....after more than one hour trying with the laparoscopy the surgeon had to open up again all my abdomen because a part of my small intestine was lace up like a shoe and had put everything out, cut out an ernia that he told me to be very next to be another cancer and fixed several big scar tissue/adhesions.....now after 3 weeks of hard recovery where my intestinal functions seemed to be little by little better so i was full of hopes that my life would start to be better...do you know what???????
Well, yesterday i had a blockage of 1 day, ultra painful.......again...i think that this drama will never end.....
Sorry for the lenght of my post, the depression to feel myself in a tunnel is bad like the pain.....

steiconi

Re: Adhesions odyssey

Postby steiconi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:24 am

I'm so sorry you're having such trouble!
I get bowel obstructions at my old stoma site (though only every couple of years, not monthly like you!) so I know how painful it can be.

Has your doctor talked about foods to avoid? I've had trouble with dried fruit and sticky licorice candy. The ER doc told me a lot of people have trouble with nuts, too.

take care, and best of luck!
Last edited by steiconi on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not my disease.

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:07 am

Sorry you are going through this. I also had an open surgery to lyse adhesions on a blockage that wouldn't clear. But I have done well for over two years post surgery. I occasionally have problems but so far they clear fairly quickly.
You may already do these things but here are some of the things that seem to help me. Drinking hot herbal teas and lots of walking, up and down some hills if possible, stretching out my abdomen, arms overhead, staying well-hydrated so insides aren't sticky, going strictly on liquids. If you can't drink anything, it's time to go to the ER for fluids. For pain, a hot bath with washcloth compress, pain meds do slow down the intestines so can work against you but I know sometimes the pain is so bad, one needs them. I also have seen a DO who works on my abdomen to release tight areas, osteopathic manipulation therapy. There are a few foods I don't eat such as dried fruit, corn and popcorn.

I hope your doctors can also offer some help to you. If you want to PM me, please do. I hope you find relief soon.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:49 am

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time!*hugs* I hope that the doctor will be able to help you soon!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”