Half swollen stomach after colon surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Karam

Half swollen stomach after colon surgery

Postby Karam » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi there! My grandfather is 78 years old. His colon surgery was performed in January this year. The polyp/tumor was on the left side and was removed. The cancer had spread to his liver and the chemo is ongoing. However, last week his stomach on the left side has swollen tremendously. I read the posts on this forum and almost all relates to the complete stomach being puffy.
Since only the left half of his stomach is swollen underneath the incision,is it something to be really worried about? He has diabetes and his stitches had healed 3 weeks ago and now this new issue has emerged. Can anyone help me with any details around this if you have any? I do not want him under the knife once again. Thanks!

Ceebo

Re: Half swollen stomach after colon surgery

Postby Ceebo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I think he needs to go back and see the surgeon. It could be a problem at the prior surgical site or he could have a hernia, or various other things. Write down all other symptoms he may be having and call the doctor soon. If he has increased pain, redness, fever, or drainage then he shoukd seek medical care right away.
DH 64 Stage 4 on 4/14 ; cecal tumor; 5+ nodes ; mets to liver; colon resection
5/14 FOLFOX
9/14 - Liver surgery aborted; peri mets
10/14 CT mult.1-2 mm lung mets; FOLFIRI & Avastin
1/15 CT -liver & lung mets shrinking
3/15 PET - ? New met. site colon; CEA rising
7/15 Chemo has failed; looking for clinical trial
9/29/15 started TAS-102 trial
KRAS mutant; MSS

Karam

Re: Half swollen stomach after colon surgery

Postby Karam » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks for the reply. There are no other symptoms except the swelling/ puffiness on the left side. There is no pain or changes in his bowel movement. We consulted the surgeon last week and he had advised to wear a belt 24x7. That doesn't seem to help. :cry:

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”