Scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lka

Scared

Postby lka » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:54 am

I had a colonoscopy two years ago after seeing blood in my stool a number of times. Had a large (1cm) polyp removed - diagnois was a tubular adenoma. Pathology showed precancer/dysplasia. I was told I was very lucky to have caught this so early - at the time I was 46.

Last fall my blood test showed that I was slightly anemic. My internist (first and propably last time I will see her) actually said, "well gee, you could have colon cancer!" I'm having a colonoscopy next week.
I've not seen any blood in the stool. Interestingly, I had a blood test a week ago with my gynecologist and although the values were nearly identifical (though they did not check the iron value) she didn't think I was anemic at all although the blood test itself when I looked at it did say "slight hyposchromasia" with an increased platelet count.

In surfing the net, I can't really get a good indication of whether a non-cancerous polyp can cause enough bleeding to cause anemia. Everything I've read also says cancer takes a long time to grow. It's only been just shy of two years since the first colonoscopy. Are polyps/cancers missed?

I know I will probably have answers next week, but the more I look on the net, the more frightened I become. (I know I should stay off the net but I just can't seem to.)

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:03 pm

I was told by my oncologist that a colon cancer tumour usually takes about 10 years to form. That is why when CC is hereditary they want to start testing 10 years before the age when the first degree relative was diagnosed.

I don't think they can miss a tumour. I saw pictures of mine and it really is not something a doc can miss.

If it does turn out to be cancer, it will have been caught extremely early!!!

STOP READING THE INTERNET, AND STATISTICS UNTIL YOU HAVE A DIAGNOSIS.

I did the same thing when the tumour was found and it was way too much information to digest. I was packing away Christmas ornaments, wondering if I would see them next year. Well, my prognosis is excellent and it really was not worth the time spent worrying.

My life changed dramatically after diagnosis. I refer to time as pre- and post- diagnosis. Do something special for yourself. Even if it is just going for a double fudge sundae!!! It is something you will never regret regardless of the diagnosis.

Good luck.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 am

Ditto the above post. Too much information can be a bad thing too, although information is usually a good thing. Did that make sense? You need more info specificly about YOU, not about everyone else. Precancerous polyps can bleed, sometimes a lot. Early cancers are very treatable, and even somewhat more advanced cancers are still curable. Look at all the survivors on this board. If you had a clean scope two years ago, it's unlikely you have an advanced cancer now.

Let us know what you find out. You haven't been getting a lot of posts on this thread, but a lot of people have been reading it. We'd like to know how it turns out.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”