Oxi without a port

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ullefan

Re: Oxi without a port

Postby ullefan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 pm

I had a port but it kept acting up, so I finally ended up with the IV. My arm really burned. But I thought a big part of the port was that it got the oxi right to where the blood was flowing fast and dispersed it around quicker. Because of my bad port, I had a "test" where they inserted dye and watched what happened on an ultra sound(?) Anyway, my dye was drifting up to my neck and not getting in the main current of the aorta. I wouldn't want that poison sitting in my arm when it needs to be in my liver, lungs, colon, etc. The port surgery was the least of my issues during the whole ordeal. I hated having it, but multiple cycles in the arms sounds like a bad idea to me.
DX 10/09 IIIb CRC 3/21 positive nodes
11/09-5/10 10rds. FOLFOX 4 rds. xeloda
5/11 NED
5/15 NED

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:38 pm

Hmmm - nobody ever mentioned that the chemo wouldn't get where it needed to get as well thru an IV. I had cold sensitivity and other side effects within a few hours so I think it circulated ok.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:34 pm

My two cents is to get the Port. I did 6 months of Xelox (8 cycles). The first infusion was in my vein. My arm went numb. Took a couple of days before it was 100%. I called my Onc who then called my surgeon and I got a port placed. The numbness is because the oxaliplatin is getting backed up in your arm. It cannot get out as fast as it is dripping in. They can slow down the drip but you will be in the room forever. I still have neuropathy from the Oxaliplatin in my feet and fingers. I would not want more damage that I have. I looked at it simply. I had 7 more infusions to go and I asked myself why should I go thru this and continue risking my veins and what if after 4 or so infusions, I decided I really needed to get a port. The rest of my infusions went just fine. Why people go without a port just confounds me.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:41 pm

chemo sabe wrote:My two cents is to get the Port. I did 6 months of Xelox (8 cycles). The first infusion was in my vein. My arm went numb. Took a couple of days before it was 100%. I called my Onc who then called my surgeon and I got a port placed. The numbness is because the oxaliplatin is getting backed up in your arm. It cannot get out as fast as it is dripping in. They can slow down the drip but you will be in the room forever. I still have neuropathy from the Oxaliplatin in my feet and fingers. I would not want more damage that I have. I looked at it simply. I had 7 more infusions to go and I asked myself why should I go thru this and continue risking my veins and what if after 4 or so infusions, I decided I really needed to get a port. The rest of my infusions went just fine. Why people go without a port just confounds me.

I agree, unless you have problems with the port which some do but I don't think it's often

jintyb
Facebook Username: Jinty b

Postby jintyb » Fri May 01, 2015 5:45 pm

I am from Scotland and I had oxi without a port. I experienced the pins and needles and almost immediate neuropathy in my hands and feet. The nurse slowed down the rate and wrapped my hand in a cosy pillow with an electric blanket in it. This made a big difference.
I am now on a different chemo regime and had a port fitted in my neck last week ( Hickman line) the procedure was a bit uncomfortable but so much better for having blood taken and finding veins in my hand for the chemo.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat May 02, 2015 7:43 am

I did 4 rounds via IV. It hurt.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 am

Yep, I can relate to this. I had a bad experience with my first infusion that sounded similar. The forum convinced me to get a port and it was the correct decision for me.

Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24924&hilit=horizon+port
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Sun May 03, 2015 4:09 pm

So Cathy123, what did you do and how did you make out with the chemo??
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:30 pm

I have my next infusion Tuesday so decided to see how it goes with the IV one more time. The chemo nurse and my onc both said that with only 5 or 6 infusions (so 3 per arm) I shouldn't be doing any permanent damage to my veins, it is more whether the infusion and the numbness the next several days bother me. It wasn't that bad the first time (not pleasant, but not really painful either), so I am thinking I can tough it out to avoid the extra hospital procedures and possibilities (though slim) of complications with the port. But, I am going to be really mad at myself if I get thru 3 or 4 and then run into problems and have to get a port for some reason.

So, in other words I still haven't decided for sure, but no port yet.
Cathy

Clinical T2NXMX
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 pm

I had my second Oxi IV infusion and it went even smoother than the last. Arm is a little numb, but not as bad. Plus the onc said he only wants to do 5 total now, so think I can handle 3 more in my veins. Hopefully I don't eat my words.

Now if all the other oxi side effects would go away! Off to bed for me.
Cathy

Clinical T2NXMX
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue May 05, 2015 9:40 pm

cathy123 wrote:I had my second Oxi IV infusion and it went even smoother than the last. Arm is a little numb, but not as bad. Plus the onc said he only wants to do 5 total now, so think I can handle 3 more in my veins. Hopefully I don't eat my words.

Now if all the other oxi side effects would go away! Off to bed for me.

Just curious, how is 0 of 37 nodes, positive for lymphatic invasion,
or are you doing chemo, justin case :roll:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm

The lymphatic invasion was in the vessels (biopsy report didn't specify lymph vessels or blood vessels). Since it didn't get to any of the nodes sampled hopefully it was just starting to spread, but the dr said there is a chance it could spread to other nodes or to distant locations thru the blood. Thus the chemo. (Plus he was also concerned that since I had radiation to shrink the low tumor the biopsy results may not be fully accurate)
Cathy

Clinical T2NXMX
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed May 06, 2015 1:03 am

I only did one infusion with an IV. I had a port put in for radiation, used it for a short period of time and was so sick of it (the pump) and was very allergic to the adhesive that I switched to Xeloda. After radiation I had my port removed (it had flipped and was very uncomfortable) and when the onc decided to do more chemo, I did the oxi via the vein. Honestly, I don't remember any problem with my arm.....nothing more than the usual uncomfortable feeling with the needle, etc. I had a bad reaction to the oxi so it was discontinued....can't help you with a second time, etc. I would think that I would remember if there was a lot of pain or something else unusual with the IV arm.....just don't remember anything so I guess it was just rather routine.

If your doc is only going to do three more cycles....my opinion, see if you can stick it out without the port. I know most people don't have a problem with the port but for me, it was a nightmare. Keep in mind that getting it out isn't as easy as one might think either. The actual procedure to take it out is a piece of cake.....it's getting the surgeon to remove it that's another story. They want to keep it in for a set period of time 'just in case', and while I get that line of thinking, if you want it out and they aren't agreeing with you, you're sunk.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed May 06, 2015 8:43 am

weisssoccermom wrote:Keep in mind that getting it out isn't as easy as one might think either. The actual procedure to take it out is a piece of cake.....it's getting the surgeon to remove it that's another story. They want to keep it in for a set period of time 'just in case', and while I get that line of thinking, if you want it out and they aren't agreeing with you, you're sunk.

That is true. I remember thinking mine was coming out soon and they pulled the 'just in case' news to me. I still don't regret getting a port but I had it longer than I thought that I would.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”