foods/drinks to eat/avoid?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
boxofrain

Re: foods/drinks to eat/avoid?

Postby boxofrain » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:22 am

many thanks to all the caring people who took the time to share their views. KFC is very big in china and the new bbq sandwich is advertised constantly on the hospital tv. the doc said in my wife's presence that coffee and a burger would be ok, which made the wife angry. she said i could take care of myself if i ignored her diet :( i ended up with a salad , shrimpwith cabbage, and some of her fish. not bad, but still want both bbq and wife. is the bbq as good as itlooks on tv? probably not:(

Frenchie, hats off to you! you have beaten all the stats and retained a gsoh and a love of life. keepup the goodwork, all!

boxofrain

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 am

With all you are dealing with I think you should get that sandwich. I know she means well but it really isn't fair to add more stress to you.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

momof3

Postby momof3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 am

Can you encourage your wife to join this site?

When my husband first was diagnosed, I felt this insane pressure to cure him...myself. With food, bought a juicer for juicing, was constantly reading. Over the last two and a half years I've realized there is not much reason as to why one survives and another doesn't. I've seen many wonderful people who have passed who have gone to extremes to survive. And other eating what they want, not taking supplements etc, who are still here.

I'm hoping for your sake and hers that she is able to lighten up.
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 am

My onc and the infusion nurses told me repeatedly NOT to lose weight during chemo. (I could afford to lose a few pounds.) Your body needs the fuel and weight changes mean your chemo dosage fluctuates. I know your wife wants to help & do what's best for you, but it's hard enough to eat during chemo anyway. Even foods I love tasted like cardboard much of the time. Your wife sounds very strong willed but you need to be able to talk about this openly. Love the suggestion to discuss diet with doc in front of her - encourage her to participate. My clinic has a free service that provides a nutritionist. No one has all the answers, if they did we wouldn't need this forum. Good luck! XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”