Surgery first or Chemo first

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LoneStar - couldn't log i

Surgery first or Chemo first

Postby LoneStar - couldn't log i » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:31 am

I've been presented with a dilema and wondering if others have some advice based on their experience. I was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and two small spots on my liver. We're trying to decide whether to treat with Chemo first and then perform surgery or do the surgery first and then Chemo. It bothers me that these tumors are still inside, but I'm concerned if we treat with surgery first, then the waiting time will give something else still floating in my body a chance to start. Any thoughts or helpful advice?

Re: Surgery first or Chemo first

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:03 pm

Speak to a reputable Onycologist and an experienced colon surgeon (even if it means going to a larger city). Sadly, many people spend more time researching what is the best new car buy. This is your life and you must have informed and experienced decisions.
Praying for your survival,
Brenda Durant

LoneStar - couldn't log i wrote:I've been presented with a dilema and wondering if others have some advice based on their experience. I was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and two small spots on my liver. We're trying to decide whether to treat with Chemo first and then perform surgery or do the surgery first and then Chemo. It bothers me that these tumors are still inside, but I'm concerned if we treat with surgery first, then the waiting time will give something else still floating in my body a chance to start. Any thoughts or helpful advice?

mike c

Postby mike c » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:12 pm

hi i understand your delema, you need to know if your doctor is planning on giving you avastin? if he is then you would be unable to start your chemo for 28 days after surgery, i had my surgery first, then we started my chemo like a month later, i also had spots on the liver , o guess it would depend on how bad the spots are, but either way you should definatly research everything
good luck to you and may god watch over you and yours

LoneStar

Thanks for the reply Mike

Postby LoneStar » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:31 pm

My doctor does intend on starting me with Aviston and the spots are small. The strategy is to shrink the spots or wipe them out all together and then do surgery. They hope to kill anything in my blood stream, but since I don't have elevated CEA is difficult to measure.

Holly

wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:13 pm

LoneStar,

I happy to hear that you solved your riddle. I, too, have a normal CEA and it is not a measurable tool to track my progress. Please well and do update the Colon Club on your progress! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”