New to the club

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ChadC84

New to the club

Postby ChadC84 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi all, my name is Chad. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB colon cancer in January of this year at the age of 30. I had my surgery at MSKCC in February and started chemo in March. I've currently completed 3 of 12 FOLFOX treatments. Been lurking on the board since I received my diagnosis, but decided to go ahead and sign up so I would have a group of people to chat with and share my experiences as things move forward.
Diagnosed Stage IIIB colon cancer - January, 2015
CEA of 4.8 prior to surgery
Colon surgery - February, 2015 - NED
Pathology revealed 4 of 71 lymph nodes positive
CEA of 0.6 prior to 1st chemo treatment
Began FOLFOX regimen - March, 2015
Completed chemo - August, 2015
Clean CT scan - September, 2015
Post-chemo CEA of <0.5
Clean CT scan - December, 2015
Clean colonoscopy/upper endoscopy - January, 2016

rwightman

Re: New to the club

Postby rwightman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Even though this isn't the "hip" club to be in, welcome aboard. So many great people and experiences are shared on this board. I doubt I am alone in saying that this board is what has kept me grounded and sane though out this terrifying process. I am somewhat of a lurker too and only post occasionally, but my lurking has lead me to me educated choices and doctors and I am thankful for everyone who participates and shares their wealth of knowledge.

I wish you the best on this journey!
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
10/23/14 - Colon Resection - Stage II - 0/15 lympth nodes
12/30/14 - Stage IV - 1 liver met 2cc - Liver Resection - No lymph nodes and margins clear
3/10/15 - peri mets
3/15 - Folfox with Avastin - 7 tx
7/15 - HIPEC - 2 peri mets
10/14 - resection of abdominal met
11/12 - 5FU

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Welcome Chad. Sorry to hear of another person facing this at such a young age. At least you have found the best group available. Everyone shares information and support, so don't hesitate to let us know when you are in need. Take care. XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Ditto to what Delinda2 said. Welcome. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

nashvegas79

Postby nashvegas79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 am

Hey Chad, and hey everybody else too...
My name is Peter, and I am fairly new to this forum as well. I'm 35, but was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer when I was 29, so I'm not really new to the "cancer club" in general. My first surgery back in '09 was a colon resection with a permanent descending colostomy, so I've been pretty active on a colostomy forum for the past few years. I had a liver resection a couple months after my colon surgery to remove the single met, with hopes of removing all the disease. My cea was normal and my ct's were clear for most of a year, but then my numbers went up and another met formed in my liver. I had another liver surgery to remove it, which they say was successful. But the next ct scan I had after the tissue had healed enough showed a spot in the same area. So I had a third liver surgery, which finally got rid of the disease in my liver. But after a while my cea rose again and a ct showed multiple small spots in both lungs and a spot in the pleural sac tissue of my chest. I had done rounds of chemo and radiation throughout all of the prior treatments along with surgery with hopes of curing me of cancer, but the appearance of disease in both lungs and my chest tissue put me in a new category. My oncologist told me we were in a "treatment" phase instead of a "curative" one. "Quality of life" was our focus. Quality over quantity was the idea I guess, but I want both. And so should you.

Despite an initial stage 4 diagnosis, I've crushed survival statistics and had six of the best years of my life. I've had invasive surgeries and regular chemo treatments, but I've also gotten married, traveled to incredible places, seen countless bands and concerts, and tried to make every moment count. At 29 and 30, you (Chad) and I are statistical abnormalities in our cancer diagnoses, and so I think we also should be outside the norms in terms of our treatments and reactions. You are young and strong, so take on as much as you can and don't be afraid. We are not statistics.
Colo-rectal cancer with liver metastasis diagnosed in 2008
Chemo, radiation, then colon and liver resections 2009
2 more liver resections 2009-2011
2013- Liver clear, but small mets spotted in both lungs and rear pleural sac tissue. Terminal condition
Chemo 2013-15
August 2015- Off chemo after tumor growth continued through treatment. Doing radiation on painful tumor in my back for quality of life. Not much time left.

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:34 am

Nashvegas, BRAVO!!! Well said my friend. Hugs for you and Chad. XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:06 am

Hello, sorry u r here. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 am

Again, it is important for us under 50, especially younger to get to word out. Do what u feel u can to do this. It DOES matter, because of me and my recent dx I have helped at least 2 and even my bil who doesn't have it but other issues they wouldn't have found if my family hadn't been agrees I've now since me. We can save others if we get the word out. This needs to be KNOWN!

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:26 am

Welcome Chad! Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us. You will find a wealth of information and support here. There is always someone who will know the answer to your questions, and we "get it". Although I had a lot of family and friends who were supportive I felt very alone if that makes sense. This forum means so much to me, as do all the wonderful people on here....don't know what I would do without them. Look forward to hearing more from you....
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:50 am

Welcome to you....and as others said, sorry you found us :shock: but happy you did!!!!!! :wink:

I am a big believer that knowledge is power, and for me personally that gives me some control during a time when my life was out of control. Coming here, you will learn things...LOTS of things that will make you more knowledgable about CRC, treatments, side effects....tricks of the trade....and that will give you some control back. You will hear stories that will make you cry, and victories that will give you strength....and you will probably have a giggle or too, cause we do that here as well.

Ask ANYTHING...and I mean anything...nothing is taboo or off the table when it comes to this disease. If you are wondering about it, or experiencing it...chances are...so are others. Again...knowledge is power...

Wishing you all the best as you battle this beast...you are not alone!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:21 am

Wishing you the best of luck Chad on your journey. Remember, this is a marathon, not a track meet. Stay positive most of all and stay strong. You will get through this with support from friends, family and the people here. Ask or PM any question you have to anyone. There are people here to help you in any way they can. Again, stay positive !! Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am

ChadC84 wrote:Hi all, my name is Chad. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB colon cancer in January of this year at the age of 30. I had my surgery at MSKCC in February and started chemo in March. I've currently completed 3 of 12 FOLFOX treatments. Been lurking on the board since I received my diagnosis, but decided to go ahead and sign up so I would have a group of people to chat with and share my experiences as things move forward.

Hi Chad. I looked at your background and you and I have a LOT in common. You were a few years younger than me when I got diagnosed. When I started chemo it felt like six months would be forever but you'll get through it and it will be over before you know it. There are definitely a lot of people on here that can relate to what you're going through.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Welcome to the Club that no one wants to be in. As you can see from my signature....I'm a Stage 3 B also from MSK who did the same treatment only I had 5 out of 14 positive nodes. 5 years later.....here I am. You can get through this... My 2 secrets ...Keep hydrated and keep up beat.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Welcome to the board Chad! Sorry for the reason you're here but glad you found us. There is so much knowledge and support on this board!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

LNM70

Postby LNM70 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi Chad. Welcome. Sorry you have to be here, but I am sure you will be glad you found it.
44 years old
Diagnosed 2/2014
Sigmoid colon w/ mets to liver
Started folfox with Avastin 2/14...still on maintenance

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”