Appeal: Is there anyone who has been using mistletoe for a long time with or without chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
np19850909

Appeal: Is there anyone who has been using mistletoe for a long time with or without chemo

Postby np19850909 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 am

Hello everyone, my mother has been diagnosed and undergoing chemotherapy for colorectal cancer stage IV. We are thinking of benefiting from mistletoe along her chemo as she suffers a lot from her chemotherapy side effects. She is to oxaliplatine and 5-FU and Avastin 2*400 mg. I really appreciate your immediate replies with as much details as possible. Many thanks in advance.

chixter

Re: Appeal: Is there anyone who has been using mistletoe for a long time with or without chemo

Postby chixter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 pm

IDK where you are located, but you need to find a homeopathic MD, preferably one with a background in Oncology as well. We found a good one in Philadelphia. The Mistletoe does reduce/relieve many of the chemo side effects, some it has little effect on (neuropathy). If you need help finding a HMD close to you try reaching out to BelieveBig.org http://www.believebig.org/. Just keep in mind many at BB think mistletoe is curative....it isn't and the studies have shown that. But overall QOL of many patients using the therapy was improved, albeit small studies. My Katie wasn't on a chemo regime long enough to really get a feel for it, but we used it and she fared well through the few treatments she had. Good luck.
ImageFather/Caregiver to beautiful 25 y/o daughter with mCRC Stg 4

Cb75

Re: Appeal: Is there anyone who has been using mistletoe for a long time with or without chemo

Postby Cb75 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:59 pm

I use Iscador M mistletoe once or twice a week. It is injectable. I have used it on and off since I was diagnosed. I think it helps the immune system and it also helps quite a bit with chemo side effects. The negating of side effects is the main reason why I have stuck with it. There was a promising study out of New Zeland which showed it to be a good agent to attack crc. However, the mistletoe that worked best is fraxini, which is a very very strong mistletoe that I believe is from the Elm or Ash tree. I am very sensitive to it, so I didn't try to get this kind. Although, it is only available in canada on a compassionate basis and requires an application. Whereas, the Iscador can be purchased from my ND. Here is a PR on the study from a few years back http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/253490.php. I contacted the professor who was in charge of the study for more details at that time, he didn't have much else for me since it was very preliminary. I haven't seen anything since.

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”