Stage III diagnosis chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sandee60

Stage III diagnosis chemo

Postby sandee60 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm

I went for my post op appt and was told by surgeon they found an additional tumor in one of my lymph nodes. He said that makes me stage III and he is recommending chemo for six months. I have an appt with the oncologist on Wednesday, 4/8. I was just wondering what to expect and what to prepare for? This is all new for me.

Lee

Re: Stage III diagnosis chemo

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Chances are you will get FOLFOX. Do take the chemo. You want to do everything now in hopes that it does not come back or spread.

Some tips while on FOLFOX, drink TONS of liquids a day or 2 before each infusion, you will lose it with in 48 hrs of chemo. I always hit BurgerKing and got an egg breakfast sandwich on way to chemo. Eggs gave me protein and toast gave me carbs keeping nausea at bay. When on chemo, eat several small meals vs 3 meals a day. Again food in stomach can keep nausea at bay. Don't worry about eating healthy when on chemo, everything will taste like cardboard in short order, thus even junk food is better than nothing. And when food taste like cardboard, junk food taste tons better than healthy food.

Drink Ensure daily for vitamins and minerals.

Most people while on FOLFOX could not handle coldness in the throat. Be prepared to eat and drink food at room temperature.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

MSJC

Postby MSJC » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:51 pm

I also had positive lymph nodes and got folfox. Cold really bothered me, throat, hands and feet. Nausea was a problem for me too, but it doesn't effect everyone the same way. Folfox was no fun at all for me, but hopefully worth it in the long run.
Mike, 49 y/o at Dx 1/14 stage 3c
low rectal cancer 7 nodes positive
2/14 5 weeks chemo/rad. 5-fu
4/14 Lar gallbladder removed,
temp ileostomy
5/14 8 rds Folfox
10/14 reversal surgery
5/15 clean colonoscopy
6/15 clean ct scan

horizon

Postby horizon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:45 pm

When that happened to me they sat me down and pointed out the options of FOLFOX or XELOX and wanted me to decide right then. Kind of frustrating and overwhelming because I didn't know anything about either. I went with XELOX, which was Oxi infusions and lots of Xeloda pills. I don't regret me decision. As others have mentioned the cold sensitivity from Oxi is pain.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

sandee60

Postby sandee60 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Okay. Now I would like opinions on FOLFOX vs XELODA?

sandee60

Postby sandee60 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Sorry XELOX vs FOLFOX.

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Folfox regimen is going in for an infusion of Oxaliplatin and leaving with a pump connected to you that will slowly inject 5 FU into you. You go back 2 days later and get the pump disconnected. 12 days after that, you are back in the chair getting another infusion of Oxalyplatin. This continues for 12 infusions (6 months).

Xelox regimen is an infusion of Oxaliplatin followed by 2 weeks of taking xeloda every day, then a week off and you are back in the chair again. This continues for 8 infusions - total of 24 weeks or 6 months,

Studies seem to indicate that Xelox may be slightly more effective than Folfox but neither come with a guarantee. a major side effect of xeloda seen in many patients is hand/foot syndrome. Pretty nasty stuff. However, I chose Xelox because with Folfox I would be at the doctor too frequently. The 3 week interval for Xelox fit my life better.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”