Would love some help and advice on these things if possible

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
christmas826

Would love some help and advice on these things if possible

Postby christmas826 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 pm

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer three years ago never actually heard a stage it had affected lymph nodes as well. I took 6 weeks @ 5days a week of radiation and wore a chemo bag five days a week for 6 weeks then I had a resection. They were able to hook me back up but still wanted to do more chemo. I started it and just could not tolerate it after throwing up for six weeks from the chemo and being totally drained from the radiation I was a wreck. I ask the Dr if the cancer was all gone and he said that I still had some aggressive cells that were not responding to treatment so at this point I chose to stop treatment. He had told me it was not a matter of if it would come back but when.... and that when it did it would be really bad. I had to quit my job because I had to stand 8 hrs a day and my back had started hurting so bad I could not stand up at times without holding on. One question I have is this type back pain part of this colon process... also I could not go to a dr to find out what was going on since I had lost my insurance when i lost my job and I had to wait a year for medicare. I have been going down ever since then..... extremely tired.. smothering so my Daughter took me to the er and since I did not have insurance they did a ct scan and said I had a medium size fusser in my lung and i needed to see my oncologist do lung fussers usually turn out to be cancer. after the visit to the er i was no smarter only more worried than i was in the first place. Now my stomach has started to swell it is huge and I am smothering really bad at times I guess I am wondering if all of this sounds like my cancer could indeed be back.... or somewhere else now...

Delinda2

Re: Would love some help and advice on these things if possi

Postby Delinda2 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello and welcome to the group, but so sorry you need to be here. It sounds like you have really been through the wringer. You obviously have a lot going on physically and need some help right away - to give you some answers as well as support. If I understood correctly, you have had no medical care for quite some time. Please start knocking on doors to see if you qualify for some sort of help. Check with local hospitals, DSHS, free clinics, charities, etc. You need attention & probably meds to help manage pain and anxiety. I don't have any knowledge in the areas you mentioned, but I do know you need help. I'm so sorry things have gone from bad to worse for you. This forum has many knowledgeable members & someone should be able to steer you in the right direction. Also, I was very surprised to see that no one had responded to your post yet. That is not typical & I think perhaps folks are busy with Easter/Passover plans with family. We'll have to rally the troops & see what can be done to find you the help you deserve. In the meanwhile, try to stay positive. There may not be a cure, but there is help & a better quality of life. Hang in there. XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Welcome to the board. Sorry you've been having such a hard time!*hugs* I can't offer any advice but wanted to welcome you. You definitely need to be checked out.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:20 am

Almost all hospitals are required to do a certain amount of "charity" work, and you would most certainly qualify! Please knock on some doors and get an oncologist assigned to you. Also, not-for-profit hospices work pro bono (not saying you need hospice, just want you to know it is available at no charge if you don't have insurance when/if you do.)

In such a stressful time, I hope you have someone to help you navigate.

sjring

Postby sjring » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Christmas826,

You certainly have been through the wringer. I'm assuming you are in the United States, and I'm most certainly not an expert in this field, but you might want to look into Social Security Disability and with that I believe there may be an opportunity for early entry into Medicare. Perhaps someone who has more experience with these programs can chime in, and it certainly won't happen over-night so doesn't solve your immediate problem, but might take sum of the burden off sooner than a year from now.
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 am

I'm sorry you are in this position, what is a lung Fusser? Tumor?

And could someone explain to me how anyone could be uninsured in 2015? if that is the case.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”