Clinical trials/which major cancer center to choose ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ceebo

Clinical trials/which major cancer center to choose ?

Postby Ceebo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:37 pm

My husband is currently getting FOLFIRI and Avastin for his stage 4 colon cancer. It's working quite well in the liver and the lungs but there is an area at the primary surgical site that is showing increased metabolic activity with an SUV of 5.9 on the recent PET/CT scan. (He also has peritoneal carcinomatosis). His CEA which has never been anywhere near normal, but was decreasing up until this last month. It has gone from 60 to 88. The oncologist said we might want to start looking at major cancer centers regarding clinical trials since there really isn't any other standard chemo that he can have. Just wondered if you have any pointers regarding how to decide where to go. We live in Michigan but we would be willing to travel. My husband is tolerating the chemo well, is very healthy except for the cancer, and he has a good QOL right now. Appreciate any help you can give us!!
Last edited by Ceebo on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DH 64 Stage 4 on 4/14 ; cecal tumor; 5+ nodes ; mets to liver; colon resection
5/14 FOLFOX
9/14 - Liver surgery aborted; peri mets
10/14 CT mult.1-2 mm lung mets; FOLFIRI & Avastin
1/15 CT -liver & lung mets shrinking
3/15 PET - ? New met. site colon; CEA rising
7/15 Chemo has failed; looking for clinical trial
9/29/15 started TAS-102 trial
KRAS mutant; MSS

pfCml73183
Facebook Username: Celeste Marie Comeau

Re: Clinical trials/which major cancer center to choose ?

Postby pfCml73183 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 pm

If I remember correctly I read the fine print in the US News and World Report "Best Cancer Hospitals" website, that, they only take into account teaching hospitals with at least 200 beds( I think).
I am sure there are a lot more excellent hospitals that have cutting edge care with great reputations.
Wouldn't it make more sense to search through the trial bank first for the best trial that matches your needs and take it from there?
Cancer.gov/clinical trials
JMO Celeste
Wife and BF to Peter, 54
mCRC/IV/BRAF+
Erbitux and Urelumab trial @MSKCC 3/15
went home 5/8/15

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:17 am

pfCml73183 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to search through the trial bank first for the best trial that matches your needs and take it from there?

pfCml73183 wrote:Cancer.gov/clinical trials

That would be my approach since you are willing to travel. Some people have to choose what is near them due to travel issues. Would think your onc would assist or have a listings in his office that your DH would qualify for since there may be some tumor testing to qualify that may save you some time in your search.

Also, There is a trial finder mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49736&hilit=clinical+trial+finder&start=15

Looks like you have already had this discussion to some extent here where Vilca provided a resource: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49736&p=386582&hilit=clinical+trial+finder#p386582
If you are not familiar w/what the different trials are about, this would probably be a good place to start.

FYI, There is a feature on CT for book marking topics that you want to save for future reference. While visiting a topic, you will find the bookmark @ the bottom left of a page.

Typing clinical trial in the search box brings up a lot of useful info, some detailing their clinical trial experience (great for other searches too).

Best Wishes

bitchslapped
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

sjring

Postby sjring » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:27 am

There's a pretty good explaination of what clinical trials are and where to find them in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50424

I agree with the comments that it's better to find a trial that is best suited for your situation then go to where it's being held rather than picking a cancer center and seeing what they have. I would also suggest taking the trials you are intested in to your current doctor and discussing how applicable it might be to you.
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

Ceebo

Postby Ceebo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks to all of you who responded. You were all helpful. I'll keep you posted on how our clinical trial search progresses.
DH 64 Stage 4 on 4/14 ; cecal tumor; 5+ nodes ; mets to liver; colon resection
5/14 FOLFOX
9/14 - Liver surgery aborted; peri mets
10/14 CT mult.1-2 mm lung mets; FOLFIRI & Avastin
1/15 CT -liver & lung mets shrinking
3/15 PET - ? New met. site colon; CEA rising
7/15 Chemo has failed; looking for clinical trial
9/29/15 started TAS-102 trial
KRAS mutant; MSS

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”