CT Wardrobe Disparities

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

CT Wardrobe Disparities

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I've been scanned at just about every MSKCC facility, including a couple independent shops that were handling Sloan's overflow. The protocol for patient attire varies considerably, depending on where you go. Same institution; very different customs.

At East 53rd St., it's Maximum Humiliation Time. You're expected to don a hospital gown, but leave your street shoes and socks on (of course). Then you have to sit in a public waiting room looking like that waiting for your scan. You hang your clothes on a hanger and give them to a coat check attendant, who reminds you to remember your number, and may or may not be there when you return to pick up your stuff.

At the main hospital, things are a bit more relaxed, but they still make you change into a gown. No shoe/sock requirement. Unlike 53rd St., you're given a locker for your stuff.

I try to get scanned at Basking Ridge, NJ, mostly because it's closer cheaper and easier to get to than Manhattan. At the 'Ridge, it's walk in off the street, leave your keys and phone on the counter in the scanning chamber, pull down your pants and everybody's good to go. Spin that Wheel of Fortune, Vanna!

The satellite scanning joints, like the one on 55th St., are also pretty casual, as I recall. Everyone makes you drink the juice, but there's a sub place called Riverside or some such (uptown and on the river), where you get to choose the flavor.

So, MSKCC: Wazzupwitdat?
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Re: CT Wardrobe Disparities

Postby juliej » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 pm

I've noticed the differences too. The hospital is the most laid-back. The only problem with the locker is remembering NOT to put the key in your gown or robe pocket. A few times I've had the tech tell me they got a great image of the key during the practice run on the scanner.

At 53rd you're given a hanger and your clothes are hung in a separate room - not unlike a coat check at a restaurant. Sometimes I forget my hanger number and end up having to describe my clothes. You don't have to take off your pants if you wear leggings, sweats, or something without snaps or zipper (no metal). However if you're a woman, bras have to be removed, which is a pain considering the robes don't close very well. It's hard to keep the girls tucked in. :shock:

And what's with the flavoring in the contrast? Can't we get something more interesting than raspberry?
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 pm

I so accustomed to having my butt and private parts exposed pretty much nothing bothers me now. Butt over the years with aging and diminished muscle mass, the scenery is not as good for the audience. :oops:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Had my last scan at Basking Ridge. Didn't have to pull my pants down cause wore sweats with no metal. Didn't have to remove my bra since there were no underwires, they didn't care about the hooks in the back. Fastest, easiest scan I ever did!
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Everywhere I scan now, I make sure to be wearing no metal. It sometimes throws the techs when I say I don't need to change clothes, but they always get it. One small step for preserving my humanity? At MDA I have a choice of many flavors. I recommend the half cranberry juice and half Sprite (the only time I have soda.) Not bad to drink at all!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 pm

="midlifemom" they didn't care about the hooks in the back.

Damn those hooks!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 pm

BrownBagger wrote:[quote="midlifemom" they didn't care about the hooks in the back.

Damn those hooks![/quote]
Said teenage boys everywhere! LOL!

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I've been scanned at just about every MSKCC facility, including a couple independent shops that were handling Sloan's overflow. The protocol for patient attire varies considerably, depending on where you go. Same institution; very different customs.

At East 53rd St., it's Maximum Humiliation Time. You're expected to don a hospital gown, but leave your street shoes and socks on (of course). Then you have to sit in a public waiting room looking like that waiting for your scan. You hang your clothes on a hanger and give them to a coat check attendant, who reminds you to remember your number, and may or may not be there when you return to pick up your stuff.

At the main hospital, things are a bit more relaxed, but they still make you change into a gown. No shoe/sock requirement. Unlike 53rd St., you're given a locker for your stuff.

I try to get scanned at Basking Ridge, NJ, mostly because it's closer cheaper and easier to get to than Manhattan. At the 'Ridge, it's walk in off the street, leave your keys and phone on the counter in the scanning chamber, pull down your pants and everybody's good to go. Spin that Wheel of Fortune, Vanna!

The satellite scanning joints, like the one on 55th St., are also pretty casual, as I recall. Everyone makes you drink the juice, but there's a sub place called Riverside or some such (uptown and on the river), where you get to choose the flavor.

So, MSKCC: Wazzupwitdat?

Ever time I get a scan anywhere, I wear cotton sweatpants with no metal, and a tee shirt. I don't mind taking of my shoes, and I take my jacket, with pockets, with me, to the look at my organs people. Of course I keep one eye open, on those occasions.
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

TheLadySkye

Postby TheLadySkye » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Wait...you get to take your clothes off AND get flavored contrast?

Dang, I'm gettin' hosed.

A go for my CTs at Roswell (or the ER or any place else I've had one) and it's keep your pants on, lady (all your clothes really), drink this pitcher of Visi (tastes and looks like slightly sweet water with a hint of nausea-inducing aftertaste), let us stab you 10 times before we finally get the IV in, then scan my innards and take a looksie at all my most intimate bits without even buying me dinner first.

Needless to say, this no clothes and flavored contrast thing is news to me.
TheLadySkye
Stage 2b (T4N0M0) small intestine (jejunum) 8/13
Small bowel resection 9/13
CT 10/13 - NED
FOLFOX chemotherapy 11/13 - 4/14
CT 6/14 - NED and my nemesis (the power port) out!
Clean colonoscopy and endoscopy 9/14
CT 12/14, 6/15 - NED!!!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 pm

They don't make me change til I get in the room. CT and pet just regular clothes, mri I just had to take bra off.

mstults

Postby mstults » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 pm

I scan at the hospital. They make you pull down your pants if you have metal. If you don't they do it with everything on. The contrast material is always Vanilla Smoothie. One time it was different. Berry flavor that time I think.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:02 am

We talk about the oddest things - and find them facinating!
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

JJ2212

Postby JJ2212 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 am

Wow! You all sure get treated well in your neck of the woods!

I have never been given any option but to strip down to my undies and socks, put on 2 hospital gowns, keep my clothes in a bag and wait in the world's dingiest waiting room where we poor suckers play musical chairs for 2 hours. There is ALWAYS at least one less chair than there are people. And what's this I hear about flavored contrast? Mine is just milky white and tastes like nothing i could describe. :shock:
Rectal cancer dx 04/13 @ 42, MSS, KRAS positive
T3N2M1 (1 lung met)
5 weeks xeloda+radiation finished 07/13
APR 9/13 (permanent colostomy), 27/31 nodes positive :-(
12 rounds of FOLFOX 04/14
Lung met growth 11/14
26 cycles Regorafenib (Stivarga) from 11/15 to 01/17
New lung met and chest/neck lymph nodes 01/17
1 cycle Folfiri

mymom

Postby mymom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 pm

My mom gets scanned now in the new Harrison (Westchester location) that just opened up like 2 months ago. She always wears a sweater and her black yoga pants and its pretty casual there.
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri
NED to 10/13,1 liver met,ablation, Folfiri
NED to 12/14, another spot
3/15 NED
Ablation 1 liver met 10/15
1/16-current NED
6/22- small spot liver again, ablation oct 2023

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 pm

All my CT scans have been at Castle Medical Center, a small hospital near Kailua, owned by the Adventist church. The scan lab is a large airy room, spic and span, floors waxed and all surfaces gleaming, a separate office for the technician's console, and a toilet. I go in, am handed a hospital robe and shown to the toilet where I change. Socks stay on. There is no security for belongings at all -- no need, since you and the tech are the only ones in the lab. I just drape my street clothes anywhere in the toilet. Contrast is banana flavor.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”