Religion on the forum? Your thoughts?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
vickitwo

Re: Religion on the forum? Your thoughts?

Postby vickitwo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm

When my DH was first diagnosed, I became friends on facebook with an old high school classmate of mine. He was never a close friend, I did not know him well but we did have some HS classes together. He sent me a friend request and recognizing him as a former classmate, I accepted. Evidently he knew some of my news from another classmate. I told him of my husband's diagnosis and how devastated I was. Evidently he is a very devout Catholic.....most everyone from my hometown is Catholic and so was I growing up. His reply to me included the statement that he knew that my strong faith would get me thru. I know his statement was well meaning but I was somewhat taken aback by his assumption that he knew what my faith or beliefs are. That said, I try to give people some slack as I don't think that people are trying to offend. Many times people don't really know what to say. Often people in a community especially a small town, share similar faiths and at times it may be easy to forget that others don't share your beliefs. I no longer practice the Catholic faith. I feel that I have been on a journey for many years trying to sort out what seems like the truth to me. As far a Christianity goes, I definitely feel that Jesus' teachings are good instructions on how to live one's life. Many of the religious things that I have been taught though don't make any sense to me. Mainly, things like how can a loving God put us thru all of this pain and suffering. Why does God not reveal himself to us in concrete ways. Why must we just have faith, why must it be such a mystery? How could someone be condemmed to Hell by not believing or even by not knowing, etc. etc. etc. Why are we even here on this Earth? What is the point of this life? I do though believe in a higher power...a creator. In my opinion this word is much too complex to have happened all on it's own. I think there must be a grand designer. I welcome thoughts by other people. Where does your strong faith come from.... What do you believe and why.... Why don't you believe? I want to understand and maybe it will help me to understand. I welcome discussions like this...so long as it is respectful of others. I also want to add that thruout my DH's illness many people told me that they were praying for my DH and that meant the world to me because it told me that they cared.
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:09 pm

I figured a bunny, with something GOOD to say, on Easter week would be appropriate
Personally, as I said before.... subtly and caring for the feelings of others should be a prominent factor here.
Slamming of any side, falls into the over the edge and is a no-no. Until the very end of our lives, no one here can say which side is correct
My hubby and I had opposing views, were best friends for 34+ years and were the love of each others lives.
Happy Easter
Love, Vicki

Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:41 am

On a forum I used to be on, people were really name calling and fighting about religion, tho only attacking those who believed in a specific religious figure.

When the words got super ugly, I quoted a scripture that says that what's in our heart (racism, hatred, bigotry, etc.) comes out of our mouth (in words) and couldn't we stop with the ugliness and just agree to disagree?

Got called a witch and a cannibal by the same woman.

Joined here the same day and other than being a HUGE The Walking Dead fan, haven't eaten anyone in weeks!
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:03 am

Well, like most online discussions, this is probably relatively pointless, but I would like to add that we live in a country that is made up of a majority of Christians. And when you add in other religions, you get to a very large majority indeed in the camp of those who hold religious beliefs.

The tiny minority of nonbelievers are just that...a minority. I happen to live in a secular bubble in Seattle, but I know many people who live in areas where they would never dare be open about their lack of belief. It would just cause too much grief for them.

In the online world, you do get the more outspoken members of the atheist crowd, but that rarely happens in the real world.

So I feel that being aware of the challenges involved for those who are members in a minority group should be considered a bit more by those who enjoy the benefits of membership in the majority.

The "tyranny of the majority" is always a very real issue in any group.
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

MSJC

Postby MSJC » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm

This is some damn good reading! For a moment it almost made me forget I have a colonoscopy next week. I'm not taking sides on these issues, I do however, believe when one is sedated and has a light shoved in their butt, we all become equal!
Mike, 49 y/o at Dx 1/14 stage 3c
low rectal cancer 7 nodes positive
2/14 5 weeks chemo/rad. 5-fu
4/14 Lar gallbladder removed,
temp ileostomy
5/14 8 rds Folfox
10/14 reversal surgery
5/15 clean colonoscopy
6/15 clean ct scan

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 pm

Had to post this here too :)

Ajane

Postby Ajane » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 am

Before this gets locked (and I'm sure we won't have to wait very much longer), I just have to say that by my signature you might deduce that I'm one of the "real crazies that fling it about." But please believe me, growing up a pastor's daughter, I certainly had my fair share of religion shoved down my throat. I would never want to do that to anyone! But since a believer, I cannot deny my faith. Having said that, I try to be respectful. I believe everyone is entitled to their belief or non-belief, and I'm certainly not here to push my faith down anyone's throat. I, too, come from the land of "can't we all just manage to get along?" But now here's the tricky part...meaning you no harm...please don't take offense...because of my faith, whether stated or not, I'll be praying for you. And on that note, Blessings and Happy Easter to All.
7/13, T2, G3, Ultra-low. CEA 5.7 KRAS Wild, MSS
8-9/13 6 wks Xeloda/radiation
12/13 TEM pCR NED
5/15 CEA 4.6 PET 1.5 cm met, UL Lobectomy
6-10/15: Rounds 1-2 Xelox+Avastin; 3-8 Folfox+Avastin
10/15-4/16: 12 rounds Avastin
9/2016 CEA 4.2, 12 mm AP node
11/2016 CEA 4.3. PET/CT. 16mm AP nodal met removed
4 wks chemorad
2/2017 NED CEA 2.4
Carafate to tx esophageal ulcers caused by rad
Avastin maintenance postponed

2 Corinthians 12:9

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:42 am

I am a bit sick at heart the way this thread has taken twists and turns. I meant for a discussion of when and where certain beliefs should be advanced, not a discussion of beliefs (one's own or others') themselves.

Believers, how great that you have faith. Non-believers, how great that you feel freedom from a certain type of faith.

Apologies to any whose feathers got ruffled.
Last edited by skypup on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:49 am

Bitchslapped mentioned in another thread that for the most part this discussion has remained civil. I have to agree with her, and thanks to the mods for not locking it up.
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:53 am

No feathers are ruffled here , I just go with the flow! :D
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 am

What's that old line from the Dali Lama? The one about your biggest adversary being your best friend, because he gives you the opportunity to practice self restraint and understanding.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:57 am

Eric, you know the his holiness the Dali lama is going to spend eternity in hell, right?

And yes this comment was meant to be a joke.

I had a visit last Saturday at 9:00 am by some well meaning folks offering to introduce me to Christ, I politely declined. So now I'm thinking of a little experiment. I should go around knocking on doors handing out info on atheism, how long do suppose it would take for the cops to round me up and get for harassment or trespassing?

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:41 pm

I didn't want to stir the pot here, & still don't, but this is the post/comment peanut is referring to that I find humorous. Check out the smile on the guy's face. Sure get's the juices flowing sometimes. IMO some feel discouraged vs encouraged by these topics because they are guaranteed to take a turn in a direction that will offend someone. Having said that, when any one of us puts it out there, we run the risk of being called out on it. So yes, I am both discouraged & encouraged by some statements, held off posting. There may have been some pot stirring scattered, but I didn't find anything that I would consider spiteful requiring the thread to be locked. Maybe some disturbed by the subject matter. JMO. We all have a part of us invested in this site w/the mods having the last say. BB...loved the quote. Where I worked the execs wanted problems/challenges to be viewed as opportunities. All boils down to a mindset. Skypup, appreciate your sensitivity re: this...don't carry it on your back. Have a good day.

The other post:

[quote="bitchslapped"]Image
I didn't think it was too out of control, considering what everyone is carrying on their plates...it could have been a whole lot worse. Sometimes it doesn't take much to stir the pot.
Last edited by bitchslapped on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:50 pm

A couple more points:

Skypuppy - it is almost impossible to control the momentum of a thread once it begins in motion ha.

Bitchslapped - I think that particular post is funny as well - unlike a meme comparing religion to feces which I find objectionable on oh so many different levels. And keep in mind - I am not particularly religious.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

aja1121

Postby aja1121 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:22 pm

I smiled at the poop comparison. Reminded me of that other quote about how we all have opinions as well as, um, anal openings and none of us think OURS is the one that smells :) I have my own thoughts, but I try not to be easily offended or too politically correct. I won't tell you your faith is wrong as long as you don't tell me my lack of faith is wrong. I wish you all a beautiful Sunday.
05/23/14 DH dx Stage 3B rectal ca (age 41)
6/2014 chemorad | 10/2014 LAR, all nodes clean
FOLFOX x 10 | VATS/lung met | ileo reversal
09/15 local recurrence
10/15 colostomy
11/15 FOLFIRI x 4, major growth
02/16 tumor debulked
Stable ten months on Xeloda/Avastin
Growth on clinical trials NCT02024607 (BBI608 + FOLFIRI), NCT02817633 (anti-PD-1 + anti-TIM-3), NCT03175224 (c-Met inhibitor)
09/27/2018 started hospice
02/07/19 died

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”