Religion on the forum? Your thoughts?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
skypup

Religion on the forum? Your thoughts?

Postby skypup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 am

I just checked and there is no reference to religion in the code of conduct. I find others' talk of their own religious beliefs appropriate in their threads or when responding in kind on another's thread. I find it inappropriate when not invited.

Here is what got me thinking about this, posted on a thread with no religious content before this:
"Always remember that the battle is not ours, it's God's!!!"

That just crosses a line for me. It's directive about how to think. It's assumptive about what is true.

It is, I know, meant well. But...

Your thoughts?
Last edited by skypup on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momof3

Re: Religion on the forum? Your thoughts?

Postby momof3 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:59 am

I think it should be taken in the manner it is used. Most likely in a supportive "I'm praying for you" way. I'm sure some take offense to the swearing used by members.

my feeling is as long as someone isn't purposely trying to offend others, it's okay.
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

sjring

Postby sjring » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 pm

As long as someone isn't trying to push a particular theological belief, or coming across as "holier than thou" I don't personally have a problem.

Just be sensitive that your religious beliefs may not be the same as those who you are responding to.
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm

I think one of the great things about this forum is the honesty and openess it offers everyone. You can say just about anything without people taking offense. Talk about poop, sex, drugs, family, food, pets, jobs, social security, doctors, education, you name it! Religion is just another part of life's make up - just don't try to sell me anything because it may not necessarily be part of mine! LOL But I understand it is important to many people. I think we are all smart enough to know when to draw the line. Love this group.
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

jjinmd

Postby jjinmd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm

momof3 wrote:I think it should be taken in the manner it is used. Most likely in a supportive "I'm praying for you" way. I'm sure some take offense to the swearing used by members.

my feeling is as long as someone isn't purposely trying to offend others, it's okay.

I think this is a good approach. These online forums where you have "one thing" in common with all the other members are often tricky because it is easy to forget how completely different the rest of our lives might be. I have been a member of a parenting forum for 8 years, and it has a blow up with lots of hurt feelings at least once a year...almost always driven by 1) political differences, 2) religious differences, or 3) socio-economic differences and how they get expressed. A dose of tolerance and benefit of the doubt for our differences goes a long way, I think, as long as the respect is mutual.
42 year old Mom of two
7/14 Stage IV rectal cancer; CEA 70
4 rounds FOLFIRI/Avastin; 5 days radiation
11/14 TME, Liver resection, Temp Ileo - cPR
6 rounds FOLFOX
4/15 CT = NED
5/15 Ileo reversal
7/15 CEA = 2.1

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:55 pm

edited original post to be more clear...

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:16 pm

People are free to express their emotions, beliefs and ideas on the board any way they like, as long as they don't harass others or say things that are patently offensive or untrue. Over the years we have had threads devoted (if you will) to religion and faith, and I think everyone respected the right of those so inclined to discuss and share their beliefs.

All that said, religion--like politics--can inspire some truly ugly exchanges. Personally, I'm not here to talk about either one, so I try to avoid confrontation. Everyone should.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Funny you should bring that up Theresa, this where I usually get into trouble here, I could go on and on but it wouldn't make a difference. I often feel like when someone uses the the phrase" praise be to God" after a good scan or something similar it's kind of like "God likes me the mostess" what about all of the unanswered prayers? Why is God so discriminatory? And why are you so afraid of dyeing if this wonderful Disneyland in the sky is what's waiting for you and your family? :roll: I'd be on the first trip up if I believed. I've come to take " I'm praying for you" as just a good will gesture" it's better than; "better you than me" Id like to think I'm the kind of guy who would run into a burning building to help out a stranger and my moral compass is intact. So I'm good without God. If he did exist Im very unimpressed with the way things are turning out.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:39 pm

kennytwisted wrote:If he did exist Im very unimpressed with the way things are turning out.

Kind of like you, Kenny, the dude works in strange ways. Always has.

Seriously, I'd lighten up. I don't feel anyone is judging us atheist, liberal types.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:59 pm

BrownBagger wrote:
kennytwisted wrote:If he did exist Im very unimpressed with the way things are turning out.

Kind of like you, Kenny, the dude works in strange ways. Always has.

Seriously, I'd lighten up. I don't feel anyone is judging us atheist, liberal types.

I'm pretty sure that us freethinkers are definitely judged. I wish the best for everyone here irregardless of their political or religious views. If you put enough rats in a box there's going to be a little conflict. On that note I'm going to go light up! :wink:

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm in favor of all types of people supporting each other -- have all the religious threads you want! Truly! Just don't pass it around uninvited and perhaps unwelcome. The weird thing, perhaps, is that I'm actually spiritual (can't say religious so much), but please don't tell me who to believe In or vote for. Ha!

BB, lighten up I will. Kenny, light up I will later. Right now I'm about to get stuck for the juice. Ugh

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:21 pm

My thoughts are that as long as it isn't being shoved down your throat it's ok. If someone said you need to go to church or pray more, that crosses the line. It's the same with everything, in moderation is ok.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

elise

Postby elise » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:56 pm

kennytwisted wrote:when someone uses the the phrase" praise be to God" after a good scan or something similar it's kind of like "God likes me the mostess" what about all of the unanswered prayers? ... If he did exist Im very unimpressed with the way things are turning out.

OMG Kenny, you and I are on the same page!! I'm not sure how to fully explain my feelings about religion on this forum. For one, I think we're all in a crappy boat and if what keeps you afloat is your belief in a higher being, that's none of my business. I do feel like it's a slap in the face when God is praised for clean scans etc because I think good news comes because treatment worked, surgery was done, or just because we sometimes just hit good luck. Our bodies react in just the right way. But that's just me. I'm ok with just walking away from a conversation that includes God.

Now can we officially reinstate swearing?? I miss it.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 pm

I choose to believe in a higher power and an afterlife. After all what harm can it do? If the aforementioned does not exist, it just means that I was wrong. I have no problem if someone wants to express Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, Taoist, Muslim, Mormon, Scientology or whatever beliefs. Just don't try to convert me or chop my head off. :shock:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:50 pm

It generally doesn't bother me. I have my own beliefs and they would make little sense to most anyone else. I try to cut bitter atheists slack just as I cut devout religious types slack. Unless someone makes the mistake of directly challenging me. Then I feel like permission has been given to let loose ha.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”