To Those Who Had Narrow/Flat Stool

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
schellenberg

To Those Who Had Narrow/Flat Stool

Postby schellenberg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:14 pm

1. When your stool was narrow and flat, did you have to strain a lot for it to come out?

2. If I had some kind of a blockage wouldn't I have a hard time pushing out these stools?

I'm very worried that I might have CRC. I'm a 25-years-old. At the age of 3, I had part of my colon removed after being diagnosed with Hirschsprung's disease. For as long as I can remember, I've always had a really sensitive stomach. I've mentioned my problems to doctors and they all say it's just IBS. I can't eat big heavy meals or else I'll be running to the bathroom 30-45 minutes later with cramps and diarrhea. (Doctors tell me this is because I don't have as much room down there to hold all the food because of the colon resection.)

For the past few months I've noticed that shape of my stool is often flat and narrow. They aren't thin like a pencil. They are a little thicker than a hot-dog. These ribbon-like stools come out easily with no pain whatsoever. The stools in question are always very, very soft. I eat around 30 grams of fiber everyday and I'm guessing that's why the stools are so soft. Doesn't fiber make stool retain a lot of water? This would cause the stool to become quite soft, right? If the stool is quite soft, wouldn't it get a flat, narrow shape when exiting the anal canal?

The change in stool shape is the only symptom I have: no blood, no weight loss and no constipation.

ANDRETEXAS

Re: To Those Who Had Narrow/Flat Stool

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:42 pm

While I had flat, narrow stools during chemo (along with bouts with constipation), it does not mean that you have colon cancer. I don't think the ease with which you eliminate stools would necessarily be a sign of something not being wrong. My advice, even at your age, is to have a colonoscopy, and at least find out if there is a problem associated with your symptoms. Good luck and keep us posted.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:03 pm

It could be from blockage. I know that does happen. I have had mostly small thinner stool for as long as I can remember but no blockage. Yes I have colon cancer but mine shouldn't have been from that as it was not blocking and flatter. Not sure why mine was always that way. But either way if you feel this is abnormal you should get checked. It could be backed up stool or something else. Get checked and best wishes.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Thin stools - if its a change - can be a sign of rectal cancer, and are worth checking out.

After I'd had all my surgery and was using my new pouch, my stools were very flat, with a groove down one side. I was having great difficulty pushing them out, because my pouch had prolapsed. When I had rectal cancer and didnt know it, my stool was very liquid because there was a lot of blood mixed in with it. It had a very peculiar odour. I thought I had trouble evacuating but really I didnt, I just had terrible tenesmus which I thought meant I needed to go more. The reason i couldn't was nothing was there, it was just a "feeling".

CLD

Postby CLD » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:33 pm

My husband observed narrow, flat stools (or ribbon like stools) for months before his diagnosis . It took him forever to "go" and he often felt like he still had to "go" when he was done. I once asked him "How do you keep a job you are in there sooooo long?" With your history, any change in bowel patterns is probably worth looking into. If it is cancer, the earlier you catch it better. If its not, you can breath a big sigh of relief and not constantly worry. Good luck.
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently

behconsult

Postby behconsult » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Get a colonoscopy for piece of mind sake as well as a possible second opinion.
Stage 4 Age 56 BrafV660E 5/14
spot on perit/ Right side tumor
Resctn 6/9/2014
Folfox strt 7/2014. 6 of 12 tx
Chemo induced DM2
Pet 4 mets to lung (1 cm, 6 mm) Xeloda/Avastin 9/16 to present.
Cryo-ablation to four spots- Collapsed lung/chest tube 2x
Possible local recurrence in a spot or two on PET. Stable CT

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”