How did you find out about CRC?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I didn't know anything about it until I was diagnosed. When or how did you find out?

KWT
Posts: 3214
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby KWT » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:10 pm

The hard way.

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:49 pm

kennytwisted wrote:The hard way.

I hear ya :(

Danieljt
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Danieljt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:58 pm

I had to have a heart attack and preparations for a stent. Anemic
Dan
70 male stage 3b cc
Dx 5/9/14
Resection 7/1/14
dx 9/14
65 yr wife DLCl
Sct 3/21/19 Ned last 8 mo.

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Danieljt wrote:I had to have a heart attack and preparations for a stent. Anemic
Dan

Wow, so sorry :(

Delinda2
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Delinda2 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:06 pm

I had no warning signs or problems, just started having stomach pain one Sunday afternoon. It got worse, until by 9:00 pm my husband said we should go to ER. We checked on line & were sure it was appendicitis. (That damn Dr. Google!) They did a CT & the doctor on duty said, "Well, you have colon cancer & you need surgery right away." We felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water on our heads. No preparation or, "Sorry to tell you it's not good." Just BAM. I felt like telling him to take remedial training in being human. We didn't know anything at all about it, but boy did we learn!
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Delinda2 wrote:I had no warning signs or problems, just started having stomach pain one Sunday afternoon. It got worse, until by 9:00 pm my husband said we should go to ER. We checked on line & were sure it was appendicitis. (That damn Dr. Google!) They did a CT & the doctor on duty said, "Well, you have colon cancer & you need surgery right away." We felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water on our heads. No preparation or, "Sorry to tell you it's not good." Just BAM. I felt like telling him to take remedial training in being human. We didn't know anything at all about it, but boy did we learn!

Yeah, it's crazy. Weird thing tho with me. Both me and my mom had a feeling but never said until after. I remember watching the screen and seeing something odd, right there I knew it was cancer. I was totally fine when he told me. I still am pretty much ok. I think cuz I suffered so long and knew there was something but they couldn't figure it out. It was like a relief. Like an "I'm not crazy" thing and also an "I told u something was wrong".

justin case
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby justin case » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:37 pm

While seeing a little blood in my stool,(I thought hemorrhoids), I had my annual physical. My GP, being the most thorough GP I know, stuck his finger up my butt, felt upwards, downwards, and sideways, did some blood work, then called me at work, and said in the near future you should see a GI. (I don't think he meant a member of the armed forces, I sired one of those) And to make it clear to everyone, he served in the United States Navy 8) 8) 8)
That's all I know :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?:
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

User avatar
teacher49
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby teacher49 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I was a procrastinator on having a colonoscopy at age 50. At age 60, while I was on Weight Watchers (and doing very well!), because a group of us at school all joined a WW at work group. I followed the point system religiously. Lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and tons of water! I lost 30 lbs, over 4 months.....felt great but was starting to see rectal bleeding. I hadn't had hemorrhoids in 25 years since last pregnancy, so I knew that was not it. I was eating lots of nuts/fiber, and drinking lots of water......something was irritating my colon. Scheduled a scope. The rest is history.

4 cm adenocarcinoma , not blocking but definitely cancer dx'd on May 5, 2011.

To this day, I think that if I hadn't been on WW with the extreme amount of fiber/roughage, and had still been eating donuts and ice cream, I would never have noticed the bleeding until it had grown larger and deeper.
F, 62,CRC, Adenoca, mod diff
cT3N0M0 Stage IIA May 2011
chemorad
APR on 9/27/11 Margins & Nodes Neg
comp.after surg/2 pelvic abscesses/Sepsis/Hosp 40 days
10th FOLFOX 6/6/2012 feet went numb
5FU to finish
NED 12/21/2020

Valorie
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 6:33 am

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Valorie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:42 pm

I asked not to be completely sedated for my colonoscopy. I heard the GI say uh oh, there's a mass. I said to call it what it was and she said it looked like cancer. It was. I was one of the people that put off having my colonoscopy. I had it done at 53 instead of 50. Ironically, the week before the procedure I told my best friend that I felt better physically than I had in a long time. Dang sneaky cancer.
Age 53 dx 2a CC 0/21 LN Oncotypedx score: 11
Sigmoidectomy 5/8/14
MSS No lymphovasular involvement,
6/14 PET - NED, 12/14 CT NED, 7/15 CT - NED
6/14-12/9/14 Xeloda 8 cycles
2/12/15 incisional hernia repair - Boooo!

User avatar
chrissyrice
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:44 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby chrissyrice » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Valorie,
I can't imagine having a colonoscopy without sedation ... you are strong.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

Dawn2015
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:32 am

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Dawn2015 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 pm

I had a colonoscopy 6-7 years ago (late 20's) they found 4 polyps non cancerous. Said I had IBS and I just dealt with it. Got married, had two beautiful healthy children and this past Nov 2014 I stated having IBS symptoms again. During pregnancy and after the first and some of the second I felt awesome. No symptoms. But in Nov I went to the doc, decided it was time for another colonoscopy. Had all the IBS symptoms plus being very anemic. The figured it was celiac disease (nutrients not being absorbed - anemic) turns out that's what it was plus a lovely tumor in my colon. We were shocked!

We figure we got it early considering it wasnt there 6-7 years ago. Funny thing is I went in for a scope and colonoscopy but the week before a blood test was positive for celiac (test done through my GP) My GI said she never got those results till after she did the colonoscopy and if she did receive them before she would have cancelled the colonoscopy since celiac is diagnosed through the stomach (scope). Thank god she did the conlonoscopy bec if she didn't who knows when I would have found the tumor.
Female 35, married, 2 kids
Canada
Diagnosed Feb 6, 2015- sigmoid colon adenocarcinoma
CT Scan showed no mets March 9, 2015
Left hemicolectomy March 20, 2015
0/26 LN
pT3, pNO, pMO (stage II)
No chemo, no radiation
Follow up Oct 2015

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 pm

justin case wrote:While seeing a little blood in my stool,(I thought hemorrhoids), I had my annual physical. My GP, being the most thorough GP I know, stuck his finger up my butt, felt upwards, downwards, and sideways, did some blood work, then called me at work, and said in the near future you should see a GI. (I don't think he meant a member of the armed forces, I sired one of those) And to make it clear to everyone, he served in the United States Navy 8) 8) 8)
That's all I know :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?:

Finger in the butt, I'm sure you loved that :roll: lol :mrgreen:

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:05 pm

teacher49 wrote:I was a procrastinator on having a colonoscopy at age 50. At age 60, while I was on Weight Watchers (and doing very well!), because a group of us at school all joined a WW at work group. I followed the point system religiously. Lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and tons of water! I lost 30 lbs, over 4 months.....felt great but was starting to see rectal bleeding. I hadn't had hemorrhoids in 25 years since last pregnancy, so I knew that was not it. I was eating lots of nuts/fiber, and drinking lots of water......something was irritating my colon. Scheduled a scope. The rest is history.

4 cm adenocarcinoma , not blocking but definitely cancer dx'd on May 5, 2011.

To this day, I think that if I hadn't been on WW with the extreme amount of fiber/roughage, and had still been eating donuts and ice cream, I would never have noticed the bleeding until it had grown larger and deeper.

Hmmm, this is why I don't trust the diet thing, glad u found it, but we never know what caused it

Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Valorie wrote:I asked not to be completely sedated for my colonoscopy. I heard the GI say uh oh, there's a mass. I said to call it what it was and she said it looked like cancer. It was. I was one of the people that put off having my colonoscopy. I had it done at 53 instead of 50. Ironically, the week before the procedure I told my best friend that I felt better physically than I had in a long time. Dang sneaky cancer.

Yeah, it doesn't always show, I mean symptoms


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sunnycd and 3 guests